• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hangar 9 Easy 2 VRTF

#1
Realized I had never created a thread about this plane here...so focused on those foamboard planes like the rest of us are. :)

Well basically this is a standard 40 size balsa trainer released back in the late 80's. I know very little of this particular model and Hangar 9 has long since discontinued it. I think some people recognize the Easy Fly 40's from Hangar 9 which I assume is from about the same generation...they look a lot like the Easy 2 VRTF. It's a pretty solid build. We managed to get the plane for very cheap and it had some little minor issues (no motor/electronics, missing main landing gear, and some minor tail section damage). I was very interested in the plane b/c it reminded me of my first ever RC plane that I had as a teen (Right Flyer 40T) and was too scared to fly. I got the plane a few years ago and made a quest to fix her up and do an electric conversion.

The pics below are pics of when we first picked it up. And here are 2 videos that feature the plane after it was "electrified".



I'll see if I can find some electric conversion pics and add those as well as other updates. Right now, the plane is in storage and parts have been stripped from it. It suffered a minor crash so it's getting repaired PLUS it was long overdue for a new covering job. I have got most of the covering off, but some of it has stayed behind...so it's going to be a slow process for that. But like I said, I'll post some updates to this thread.
 

Attachments

#2
Actually really didn't have much "electric" pictures, but you can see it there in the videos.

Now below is the plane's current state. Old covering has been a beast to remove. I have later found out that adding more heat helps in the removal process. So going to be trying some different routes to get the remaining covering off. I have tried acetone and I wasn't happy with that result. I'm thinking it'll probably be sanded or scraped off. Or if anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.
 

Attachments

TooJung2Die

Active member
#4
Are you using a heat gun? Wood won't burn until 451F degrees. (There's a book with that information in the title.) Heat is your friend. Use the same tool used to blister and remove old paint. Whatever can't be peeled off will have to sanded. Opaque covering film will hide whatever is left.
 
#5
Are you using a heat gun? Wood won't burn until 451F degrees. (There's a book with that information in the title.) Heat is your friend. Use the same tool used to blister and remove old paint. Whatever can't be peeled off will have to sanded. Opaque covering film will hide whatever is left.
Thanks...I have a small hair dryer at the moment although I've been tempted to pick up a heat gun. I may do that, and give the wife her hair dryer back. :)
 
#6
Sorry, but so far I have been lucky enough to not have to remove covering! Good luck on the restore. I'm sure someone here has some good tips!
It's all right...it really isn't a bad process once you get it going and it comes off easily. Having this leftover residue and stubborn sections isn't fun though. :mad: But I'm patient and not in any big hurry with this guy. Shoot this plane has been sitting for about a year.
 

jaredstrees

Well-known member
#7
Do you have a Harbor Freight near you? I have a heat gun from them. It was pretty cheap, hi and low settings and seems to be fairly durable. At least I haven't broken it yet!
 
#9
I did manage to pick up a Harbor Freight heat gun for like $8...works great! I have about 95% of the covering removed at this point, so it's getting there. Best ways for me to remove it is either sanding or using the heat gun and tape. Pics below show some of the parts where the covering is mostly gone. I have had a little bit of color stay left behind but I don't think it will present an issue when it comes time for the new covering. The elevator/horizontal stab is one piece I am having to repair (it's in the pics below). It used to have hard wood pieces embedded into it where there were screws that attached the stab in place. This part broke in the crash, so I am redoing that by removing the old hardwood and screws and replacing it with balsa. And I'm gonna glue the stab in place instead using screws.
 

Attachments