Hangar 9 pt19 repair

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So last month I got really, really lucky. Flying field near where I live had a raffle in conjunction with a boy scouts fundraiser. I won a DLE 35 top exhaust gas engine, and not long after that someone offered to give me a 82inch Hangar 9 pt19 for free. It needs replacement covering for the fuselage and probably the wing. It needs standard servos and I will be building in conjunction with my 3 meter Shinden https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ill-not-use-imperial-units-if-possible.60296/ this winter. I have not been able to find much information on this because it is rather old. it is a 4 channel and I have been thinking of adding split flaps to the plane. This build won't be that intense and I want to bring this to Warbirds Over Wisconsin next August. Somebody at the field who recommended balsa to me said to call Balsa USA to find coating for this. The very first owner had an electric setup which tip stalled and he started repairs before selling it for about 50 bucks to the guy who gave it to me. I want to save money on this so any recommendations for standard size metal gear servos. Thanks.
1568859676720.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Cool restoration project! :D

My advice on standard size servos is look for estate sales. I picked up a whole pretzel tub of standard size servos for $20 at one, and most of them even work! :p

For the covering, I love the new Oratex Iron On covering from Balsa USA - adhesive is already applied, and it comes in a couple colors in addition to the natural and it holds paint great. http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/tx-000.htm

Not cheap, but a very good product. Here's a thread where I used it on a restoration project https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/elder-60-restoration.36931/page-4#post-479772

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Cool restoration project! :D

My advice on standard size servos is look for estate sales. I picked up a whole pretzel tub of standard size servos for $20 at one, and most of them even work! :p

For the covering, I love the new Oratex Iron On covering from Balsa USA - adhesive is already applied, and it comes in a couple colors in addition to the natural and it holds paint great. http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/tx-000.htm

Not cheap, but a very good product. Here's a thread where I used it on a restoration project https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/elder-60-restoration.36931/page-4#post-479772
Nice, I will try to make room in the budget for that since the building qualities seem to be so good. If not probably monokote.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
UPDATE
For the parts of the wing that need to still be covered I will use Ultracote in order to make it blend better with the current covering. I am still going to take off the blue Ultracote and I am still deciding between monocote and oratex. For the number decals I have decided on the large whit numbers instead of the smaller yellow scheme. I will ask an experienced field member to help me with shifting back the motor mount to make room for the larger DLE 35a. The original ARF was bottom loading where the wing is attached. If I am able to remove the top canopy area where the pilots will sit and turn it into a large hatch with spring latches from hobbyking. The manual says that any engine larger than 25cc will likely cause the aircraft to be nose heavy so I will try to shift everything as far back as possible and add scale detail like horizontal stabilizer ferrings to the tail. The original pilot I wanted to use was recently discontinued and the second option for me was the Hangar 1/4 scale WWII pilot with yellow vest. I haven't been able to find one with a uniform similar to the trainer one which looked more WWI without the yellow vest. This build shouldn't add up to too much in cost because most of the parts will be reused and the most expensive part will probably be either the throttle servo or the fuel tank. I inspected it yesterday and only one part on the wing that is covered up by a Ultracote will need to be repaired the rest is already open. I will also paint the outside of the wheel hub yellow like the full scale.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I have decided on Oratex blue for the fuselage, Ultracote yellow for the wing, and monokote black for the parts that have it. I think it uses a 16oz. fuel tank for the engine and a 20x10 scale WWII gas prop from falcon. The cowl is very rare and hard to find and I want to make a fiberglass spare in case of a crash. Does anyone have experience with that because I don't want to destroy the current cowl. I will use the Hangar 9 WWII 1/4 scale pilot nust and I will paint one with acrylic and give it a scarf. the other one will stay the same. I should probably get the balsa sheeting soon and the servos are coming in the mail.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The Ultracote and Monokote arrived and The Oratex should be coming soon. First I will repair all wrinkles in covering that I will be keeping. then I will find someone to help me kick back the motor mount and Epoxy it in the right place. then I will remove the cockpit and repair it before turning it into an oversised hatch. I will also try to create a replacement cowl from fiberhlass for when things go wrong. then I will recover the blue areas with the oratex, repair and recoved the wing, and make the number decals. That will be most of the work and the hardest part is either kicking back the motor mount or making the secondary cowl. This should be pretty straightforward and I can't wait to start work on this old plane.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So I found a spec sheet for those servos https://components101.com/motors/mg996r-servo-motor-datasheet and they draw 2.5 amps per servo, you'll want a 15 amp bec preferably closer to 20, a quick google search shows that it's hard to find 20a bec and they cost like 30$ you might be better off buying six of the cheap 3a Bec's and using one for each servo.
I think that I will use a 20 amp BEC from Hobbyking which is only $12 in order to reduce complexity.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I will probably use better servos than the ones I have for the two elevator control surfaces just because that is the last thing I want to loose control of. I need to cut out a relief in the canopy for the pilot because it is about a half a centimeter too large. The canopy plastic came so I likely will use the electrical tape method for adding in the metal support appearance. The Oratex also arrived, so after I get all of the remaining Ultracote residue off of the fuselage. I don't know how to paint the cowl, or are you supposed to cover it? The Telemetry receiver will need to be sent to Horizon to repair a torn antenna. It will actually need a whole new motor mount, or at least a new front piece of it. The wing is patched up except for where the largest hole is.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Today I started work on the wing. I had to use a razor saw to cut the dowel to size, abd I attached it to a drill and reved it up against an anchored down piece of 60 sandpaper until the frobt was smoothed out. I think it is a different wood from the other dowel, but thar shouldn't much of a problem. I epoxied it in with 30 minut epoxy and it is rock solid after 2 hours. I also skinned the holes in the wing and have completed 2 of the 3 spots that needed repairing. I am not done sanding yet, so it looks quite rough.
1576449739890.jpg
1576449784185.jpg
1576449801226.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The bottom hole has been skinned with balsa and covered over. I wasn't willing to rip off all of the ultracote of the wing, so you can see the lines between patches of ultacote. I wad wondering if anyone here had a trick fir getting the servo leads through the wing without cutting holesnin the ultracote. Fuselage work starts now as well, and that is going to be harder because the engine mount needs to be either redrilled or rebuilt altogether. I decided not to make a giant hatch yet because of the already nose heavy plane.
5A4B01B9-6BE3-4846-985B-0B0AD7570669.jpeg
E8FF1419-5148-41BD-96C9-A4FF206D9D23.jpeg
1E52E9D2-2829-4C48-A5DA-1DAFA812D979.jpeg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The covering on the fuselage is also complete, and I just need to paint some areas and get a decal for the number markings. The internals still need the servos, wing bolts, receiver, Nicad battery, and the engine installed. Otherwise it is mostly done. Also, thanks to RockyBoy for recomending oratex, it works phenomonaly against Monokote.
835D03AA-D6FF-4A3C-AF63-1B6C34B6AD19.jpeg
D81C850B-0685-4FF6-8457-002239AA7FD4.jpeg
30C612AC-B5E0-42F6-AD65-6B0EA48AB1D4.jpeg
index.php
FF3E7FE2-5A6A-41E0-BF8C-F8739BDF726B.jpeg
CA80B1BD-71D6-4089-A12B-330D7964182B.jpeg
25F45D98-F2E7-41F4-B1F9-0DB86BA0D4C4.jpeg
38772BA4-EFCA-4B7E-922C-FA5736EAF83D.jpeg

Attachments

• 436EEC07-7F04-42D6-A868-6FF9B3FD89EB.jpeg
    436EEC07-7F04-42D6-A868-6FF9B3FD89EB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • F7A84D92-0C04-4A95-B915-5857D8153C85.jpeg
    F7A84D92-0C04-4A95-B915-5857D8153C85.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Glad it worked out! It's not cheap, but it's my favorite covering for big planes now :D

Definitely, the Monokote wouldn't even stick after sanding and troubleshooting. I will probably stick with oratex for large planes, and Ultracote if I don't need as much.

Last edited: