Happy Birthday to me (FedEx delivey today)

Liemavick

Mentor
My loving wife hooked me up with something thats going to go a long way in my scratch building fun...

41MROSxfzBL._SX385_.jpg

Soldering iron and heat shrink gun combo. Ive been using a old 40watt iron for my soldering that has seen its better days and a propane torch for my shrink wrap. I got to play with the unit a little tonight and what a joy to be able to solder 6 joints without stopping waiting for the iron to heat up again. The heat gun is air forced and made quick work of the shrink wrap without toasting the exposed insulation on the wires. The icing on the cake was when the mailman arrived and I got my delivery from Altitude hobby, more things I just had to have. 3 new motors, extra wire, ESC, shrink wrap, extra motor shafts, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/REWORK-SOLDER...1368501080&sr=8-19&keywords=soldering+station

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
That is not just a heat shrink gun. It is for reworking surface mount components on circuit boards. Very slick. I have had mine for about 10 years and use it just about every day.

Thurmond

Liemavick

Mentor
You are 100% correct Thurmond. I've "repaired" a few laptop MB's and PS3's with a heat gun before, but it was a crap shoot temp. wise. It sounds like you have reflowed a GPU or two in your time. Would you be so kind as to share with me what temp. range is safe for reworking them on the board? Although I see more shrink wrapping in the near future, it's nice to have the tools for other projects too.

Brian

Tritium

You are 100% correct Thurmond. I've "repaired" a few laptop MB's and PS3's with a heat gun before, but it was a crap shoot temp. wise. It sounds like you have reflowed a GPU or two in your time. Would you be so kind as to share with me what temp. range is safe for reworking them on the board? Although I see more shrink wrapping in the near future, it's nice to have the tools for other projects too.

Brian

It totally depends on the component, pad size, chip size and condition, but 450 C is a good starting place. Just be aware that these guns can burn the fiberglass PCB as well as lifting the pads. Practice on an old board first.

Thurmond

Liemavick

Mentor
Thank you Sir! I have plenty of laptops that Ive had donated for spare parts. One will donate its MB to furthering my education.

Brian

Tritium

Thank you Sir! I have plenty of laptops that Ive had donated for spare parts. One will donate its MB to furthering my education.

Brian

I would also recommend a good ventilator as overheated PCB can release some bad nasties. ;)

Thurmond