Has anybody ordered a speed build from flitetest?

grahamt

Has anybody ordered a speed build from flitetest? If you have can you tell me how you went on. How quickly did it arrive, was the packaging OK. Did you have to pay import duty, or was it very straight forward apart from the shipping cost? Any info would be helpful.
Many thanks.
GrahamT

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
In the states we don't have to worry about import duties, but everything else was just as you want it to be when ordering online. Fast shipping, great packaging and phenomenal customer service if anything does go wrong...
You won't be sorry ordering from them.

Winglet

I've ordered from FliteTest many times. First class service and products in every way. Very fast shipping here in the States. Highly recommend!

grahamt

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm hoping someone in the UK has ordered and can tell me if they came across any hidden cost's like import duty. If that cost's an extra 20% it will push the cost of one model up to more than $56 I.E. too much!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I've ordered from Germany and had to pay 19% general sales tax on import. :-/

Everything else was perfect though.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I ordered a few of the speed builds. They were in perfect condition and no shipping errors i.e. missing/damaged parts. It was only in the first year that they started to mail out that Bixler had his hand in it and a few mistakes were made. ;-) There is a Canadian company that is also shipping them too. It might be cheaper?

grahamt

Thanks AkimboGlueGuns
Are the European shop plans likly to come to fruition soon, or is it just a rumour.

Thanks for the heads up on tax Balu. That fact will probably put a stop to the multiple order idea.
However I have had another idea. A local craft shop has a large laser cutter and while you can't cut foamboard cleanly with a laser you can accurately mark it for cutting. I have asked for a price, but he is very busy in the run up to christmas and couldn't even do it till the new year, so I will have to wait. As soon as I get a price I'll post it here.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I ordered a Storch during flitefest and it was in perfect shape. They packed it really nicely. It was an inner US shipment. Non kit shipments I have also place, were received within a week.

I have seen customs stations sit on items for 30 days. Kazakhstan was the worst! Items received from Asia to the U.S. typically take 3-4 weeks.

I remember seeing in one of their videos that there will soon be an EU shipping center to help customers in your situation.

Justin

My first FT purchase was a Versa speed build and that helped me get over the confidence barrier and i haven't looked back. been cutting my own Versas out using the free plans along with my own modifications and am not on my 6th build. the speed builds are a great way to see how a plane is supposed to go together and fly, and if you can take the leap and start scratch building, you will find a whole new avenue to build really cheap ($3-$4) airframes from Adam's foam board.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
@grahamt: You do know that Flite Test cuts their foamboard with lasers, right? :)

grahamt

@grahamt: You do know that Flite Test cuts their foamboard with lasers, right? :)

Hi Balu, No I didn't, I thought it would be some kind of CNC blade.
According to my local "laser guy", when he cuts, instead of a nice square edge you get a concave edge where the foam has "melted ?" back a bit. Any hint's on how to overcome this or does it not matter at all?

P.S. sorry for the late reply,I was away over Xmas and have just seen your post.

MPS1985

Hi!!!
I ordered FT MUSTANG.stil waiting,mabey come today.Later let you know guys in wich condition is arrived!!