• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Has anyone built a foam board space shuttle yet?

CrazyFastFlying

Hi,

Last night I had this great idea about building a foam board space shuttle. It would have 2 or 3 EDF's instead on rocket engines. It wouldn't have the 2 rocket boosters or the big orange fuel tank because that would make it to heavy. It should have enough power to vertical launch and also have retractible landing gear.

If you wanted it to be really scale, You could add a LED after burner and a small smoke system.

Just wondering if anyone has tried building something like this. If nobody has tried it, who thinks it would work?

JTarmstr

Just a warning: The Shuttle flies horribly. Stalls are the worst and it needs a ton of speed with its tiny delta wings. The reason it is so poorly shaped for atmosphere flying is because it has to be able to ride a rocket up and then re-enter the atmosphere (which is like riding a brick from space). I would try to keep it light if possible.

jfaleo1

Just a warning: The Shuttle flies horribly. Stalls are the worst and it needs a ton of speed with its tiny delta wings. The reason it is so poorly shaped for atmosphere flying is because it has to be able to ride a rocket up and then re-enter the atmosphere (which is like riding a brick from space). I would try to keep it light if possible.
May years ago Model Aviation magazine published plans for a space shuttle. A friend of mine built it and we did 30 or 40 flights before he retired it. At 1/45 scale with a 13% larger wing area and less than 30 oz AUW if flew like (I will quote a bystander) "A dead Sparrow. Launches from a very high alt resulted in under 60 second flights. It looked really cool, and was a neat experience to fly, but everything above is true especially the stalls and airspeed. Good luck if you choose to try but be ready for a difficult to fly model, it was not designed to "fly" but rather to execute a very fast (final approach begins at over Mach 1) controlled fall to earth. FYI many landings on the real thing resulted in landing gear damage including the nose gear axel snapping half.