Has anyone tried the new Spektrum sport RX?

Arcfyre

Elite member
I recently cooked an AR400 somehow (on the ground, luckily) and am in need of a replacement. Horizon is touting their new sport models AR410 and AR620 that have integrated antennas, a bind button, and integrated telemetry. Of these features the only one I find interesting is the telemetry, but it also brings me to my question. I use a DX8e. If I were to purchase a new AR620 would this mean I could see the flight pack voltage on my radio screen? That would be cool and it sounds tempting.

Or should I spend the same money and get a LemonRX with stabilizer but no telemetry? Opinions and thoughts are welcome please.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Looks like you only get the receiver voltage via telemetry, which also seems to be limited to "fly by range", whatever that works out to. Not sure about Lemon, but there are OrangeRx receivers with proper telemetry built in. You need an additional voltage sensor, but they are also dirt cheap.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Lemon has telemetry receivers. I haven't bought a genuine Spektrum receiver in a while, and I don't see a good reason to. They're $10-$20 more expensive, have brittle antennas that snap off at the base, one of which is a stubby one, which isn't good if you're putting it inside of a fuselage. I have a few Lemon DSMX 6-channel diversity receivers, and I can only think of one or two radio glitches over the past two years, and those being at club fields with other pilots.

Bricks

Master member
I have had good luck with Lemon receivers, Orange and Spektrum. For light planes I like the small Lemon 6 channel receivers.

You willl need a separate module to get flight pack voltage that will plug into the flight pack and the receiver for electric models.

Arcfyre

Elite member
You willl need a separate module to get flight pack voltage that will plug into the flight pack and the receiver for electric models.

ok, so these new fangled spektrum RX don't eliminate the need for a separate flight pack sensor. That was my original question. I will probably put the money towards another LemonRX. For the price of this new spektrum I can get a stabilized LemonRX. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Lemon has telemetry receivers. I haven't bought a genuine Spektrum receiver in a while, and I don't see a good reason to. They're $10-$20 more expensive, have brittle antennas that snap off at the base, one of which is a stubby one, which isn't good if you're putting it inside of a fuselage. I have a few Lemon DSMX 6-channel diversity receivers, and I can only think of one or two radio glitches over the past two years, and those being at club fields with other pilots.

Actually, these new ones are supposed to have internal antennas that can't be broken off, and are $30 for the 4 channels? I will admit that i like the fact that they've got a bind BUTTON now, as it means no more lost bind plugs, but I'm not sure how strong that signal's going to be...

SPMAR410-450.jpg

Flying Kiwi

As I understand it the battery voltage telemetry is built in . Any other telemetry is possible but you would need the appropriate sensors just as you would with any other receiver .
Seems like a good deal to me

Bricks

Master member
I think with this receiver and the antenna setup on larger aircraft I would add a satelite receiver, just to be safe.

I've installed a AR410 into a TT. The only telemetry is receiver voltage. Is there a way to get battery voltage as well or instead? Using the BEC/ESC the receiver voltage isn't really that much use to since it's regulated.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I've installed a AR410 into a TT. The only telemetry is receiver voltage. Is there a way to get battery voltage as well or instead? Using the BEC/ESC the receiver voltage isn't really that much use to since it's regulated.

My understanding is that you need a separate telemetry module to read battery pack voltage. Last time I checked a brand-name Spektrum setup with the correct sensors was around $100. This is off the top of my head so it may very well be incorrect. I opted instead to go with the LemonRX product. For $25 I got 6 channels with an included 3 axis gyro. Much better value for the money.