Has everyone received their FAA today!!!!

ManicSkies

The latest !!!!!

For Immediate Release
May 5, 2020
WASHINGTON
– The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the eight companies that will assist the Federal government in establishing requirements for future suppliers of Remote Identification (Remote ID). Remote ID will enable Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, to provide identification and location information while operating in the nation’s airspace.
The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID UAS Service Suppliers (USS): Airbus, AirMap, Amazon, Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing. These companies were selected through a Request for Information process in December 2018.
“The FAA will be able to advance the safe integration of drones into our nation’s airspace from these technology companies’ knowledge and expertise on remote identification,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
This initial group will support the FAA in developing technology requirements for other companies to develop applications needed for Remote ID. The applications will provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.
The technology is being developed simultaneously with the proposed Remote ID rule. Application requirements will be announced when the final rule is published. The FAA will then begin accepting applications for entities to become Remote ID suppliers. The FAA will provide updates when other entities can apply to become qualified Remote ID USS on FAA.gov.
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the transportation sector with nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots now registered with the FAA. The agency’s ability to develop Remote ID technology simultaneously with the rule enables the FAA to continue to build on a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system that has demonstrated global leadership through the small UAS rule and the implementation of the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.

ManicSkies

I hope someone from the "Flite Test Community Association" will chime in on this latest development. If you are an influential member of the forum please pass this along to Josh or Alex.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I try to remain as optimistic and non-partisan on this forum as I can but this is some swampy stuff... These companies were selected well before the NPRM and it's difficult to see this as anything but a direct play from Elaine Chao (Mrs. Mitch McConnell) and special interest groups. It's clear DC remains as swampy as ever.

clolsonus

My read:
1. we decided for sure we are doing remote id, and set all the deadlines.
2. we collected a bunch of comments (still going through them?)
3. now we hand it all off to 8 big companies to figure out how to actually do it. (We never really thought through any of the technical details of how to do this yet, but big companies know how to technology really well.)
profit!

Corbarrad

"We listened to you and listened to you well, but then we saw some shiny coins and chose to ignore all of it." is what I got from it on my first read through.

clolsonus said:
I seem to remember there being a shortage of toilet paper in the near past. so they've probably gone through it all already.

All we can do now is to hope for enough exceptions to be implemented for us to scrape by...

clolsonus

I seem to remember there being a shortage of toilet paper in the near past. so they've probably gone through it all already.

At the oshkosh airshow they did a comedy bit where a guy stumbles into a cub and flies it in a crazy way. The announcer referenced what you are talking about and called it "paper work" which the FAA seems to generate a lot of.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Each modern - 2.4GHz - radio transmitter already has a Unique identifier in its transmit stream. This identifier is like an electronic serial number. Receivers with telemetry als transmit the Tx GUI as a destination.

If the FAA mandated the use of telemetry and the registration of the radio transmitters, even at the point of sale), the requirement for heavy and expensive additional transmitters to be used in model aircraft would dissappear over night.

Just my opinions!

Have fun!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
If the FAA mandated the use of telemetry and the registration of the radio transmitters, even at the point of sale), the requirement for heavy and expensive additional transmitters to be used in model aircraft would dissappear over night.

except they want that data in the 'cloud' not just available via a radio sniffer 'on site.' Also there are ways to build a 2.4Ghz transmitter/receiver pair that isn't a 'RC Transmitter/Receiver' pair.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
My read:
1. we decided for sure we are doing remote id, and set all the deadlines.
3. now we hand it all off to 8 big companies to figure out how to actually do it. (We never really thought through any of the technical details of how to do this yet, but big companies know how to technology really well.)
profit!

Exactly!!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
As a side note, this announcement is related to picking vendors to work on a Remote ID system, It isn't saying that the rules will be as the proposal. It does say that the rules are still being worked on.

Ranger_107

Elite member
maybe they could have chosen a company like Spektrum or Horrizon Hobbys? just so we have someone in those companys making the stuff lighter and cheaper and also a kind of representitive for us?