Have a motor, need to figure out wingspan.

Batvan

My only goal is to have a decent flite time with my electronics on hand as well as an easy build experience. Is the storch a good choice?

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
My only goal is to have a decent flite time with my electronics on hand as well as an easy build experience. Is the storch a good choice?
The flight time depends on what sized battery you will use and what sized prop you use, but assuming you use 3s 2200-3000 you will have a decent flight time. The storch is easy to build and easy to fly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Any of the simple series tend to be easy builds. The Storch is an exceptional large plane. Even though some will tell you it is a good trainer in flight, which it is because it does fly slow and stable. It is a little harder to transport and every crash will take a significant amount of repairs, the bigger the plane the harder they crash. And I guarantee you will crash it, many times. And because of its size you will be inclined to do ground take offs as opposed to hand launch. As a beginner ground take offs are tough to get and you will get frustrated with it, plus you will cartwheel it so many times that you will be fixing it more then flying it.

Many have gotten there pilot wings easier on the simple Scout then the Storch, with much more success and it is a plane that will grow with you. Set it up as a 4 channel or a 3 channel AET (aileron/elevator/throttle) and you have an awesome trainer plane that will be stable in the wind, easy to transport and store, easy to fix, and easy to build.

Batvan

Many have gotten there pilot wings easier on the simple Scout then the Storch, with much more success and it is a plane that will grow with you. Set it up as a 4 channel or a 3 channel AET (aileron/elevator/throttle) and you have an awesome trainer plane that will be stable in the wind, easy to transport and store, easy to fix, and easy to build.
Are you referring to the scout at the end? I would build that but my electronics might not agree.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I love that engine, I have one just like it and it was the one I used in my first plane (check the article here) .
I was a Cessna 182 from scratch, 1100mm wingspan... now i know it was not a trainer at all, but it flew, and i learned a lot from it.
But now, i will strongly recomend u the FT EXPLORER. Why? because it is in my opinion, a very good first plane because:
  • No landing gear
  • Pusher setup will protect your props
  • Good wingspan for easy and calm flight performance
  • Could accept a 2200mAh 3S battery (pretty common)
  • Once you can handle it well, u can go for the sport wing to improve your skills.
It will be a good first plane.

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
I love that engine, I have one just like it and it was the one I used in my first plane (check the article here) .
I was a Cessna 182 from scratch, 1100mm wingspan... now i know it was not a trainer at all, but it flew, and i learned a lot from it.
But now, i will strongly recomend u the FT EXPLORER. Why? because it is in my opinion, a very good first plane because:
  • No landing gear
  • Once you can handle it well, u can go for the sport wing to improve your skills.
Ft explorer is a very good option also beside the storch. The L3010c-1300 kv is not a small motor. The ft scout weights about 600-700 gramms and by putting a 420 watt motor into it it will fly into the moon. It is very true that the bigger the airplane is the worse the crashes get but putting such an oversized motor in a tiny plane results in a very fast jet like plane which is hard to fly and even harder to land. The two best options you have are the explorer and the storch. The explorer might even be better for beginners but you can choose whichever you like more.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Are you referring to the scout at the end? I would build that but my electronics might not agree.
Your electronics will agree. I put a Rimfire 0.15 3536 1200Kv motor in both the Scouts I have built and it is twice the motor you have. It will work. Ask @Marty72 how he liked his Scouts to train on, swears by them. And he confided in me to get him through start in the hobby and I haven't steered him wrong... yet I don't think :ROFLMAO:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Ft explorer is a very good option also beside the storch. The L3010c-1300 kv is not a small motor. The ft scout weights about 600-700 gramms and by putting a 420 watt motor into it it will fly into the moon. It is very true that the bigger the airplane is the worse the crashes get but putting such an oversized motor in a tiny plane results in a very fast jet like plane which is hard to fly and even harder to land. The two best options you have are the explorer and the storch. The explorer might even be better for beginners but you can choose whichever you like more.
That's right. this motor will be too heavy for the FT Scout, and i say that because i tried and it was hard to fly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just because the power is there does not mean he has to use it. It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. Plus the bell length is not to big, only 10mm, the weight will not be an issue, probably weighs less then the B pack motor

Batvan

• No landing gear
Was jus looking at the plans, if I printed the out on full-sized paper are they to scale? Could I just print the out and cut the outline out from the paper?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Watch this and you tell me there is to much power and is un-flyable. I trained on this plane and like I said it has twice the motor on it. Check it out...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Was jus looking at the plans, if I printed the out on full-sized paper are they to scale? Could I just print the out and cut the outline out from the paper?
All the plans directly from FT are to scale, exactly how they should be built. In Adobe Acrobat Reader you can scale them up or down, which is something I do often. I like to download plans in full size, open them in Adobe and then tile them there is whatever scale, albeit 100% or either side of

Batvan

All the plans directly from FT are to scale, exactly how they should be built. In Adobe Acrobat Reader you can scale them up or down, which is something I do often. I like to download plans in full size, open them in Adobe and then tile them there is whatever scale, albeit 100% or either side of
So if I just print them out on standard paper and trace the cuts into foam board I should be fine?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Myself I will just roughly cut out each piece off the main sheet of the plans, leaving about a cm or so around the piece. Tape the cut out to the FB, then using a hobby knife I cut through the plans, on the cut out lines of course, into the FB. Once done you have a piece template to use later if you need to fix the plane or want to build a new one, and the FB piece is clean, no pencil marks to mess up the surface or erase