Have CW 1806s. Can I use them on Minis?

synjin

Elite member
I ended up with 2 CW 1806 Brushless motors (shaft threaded for CW use). Can I fly a Mini Scout using one of these with a CW prop if I make a reversed (turned to the left) power pod? Just wondering.

Synjin :)

FDS

Elite member
You just wire the motor so it spins CCW, it’s brushless so won’t make any difference. Put a little blue Loctite on the thread of the prop nut to stop it coming undone and make sure it’s tight.
If the KV is right for your battery and prop choice it should be fine.

synjin

Elite member
Except for the loctite, that’s what I’ve done. I spun the prop off twice but found the prop and nut both times. Just wondered if it would work going the other way.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Except for the loctite, that’s what I’ve done. I spun the prop off twice but found the prop and nut both times. Just wondered if it would work going the other way.
Yes you can use a CW motor rotation direction on a mini as long as the prop is the right sort AND you either fit the Power pod upside down or modify it so that the motor thrust angle is to the left.

I use both CW and CCW on my minis all depending upon what props I have to hand!

Have fun!

FDS

Elite member
I looked at my TT, it has a CW motor on it, it’s been fine with a regular prop running CCW. I did loctite the propnut. I totally forgot it had that motor on.

synjin

Elite member
I made a left angled power pod last night, and I'll give it a try after I get a smaller ESC set-up. Today, I'll celebrate the holiday (and time off work) by using loctite and going for a little crash...I mean, flying. Then I'll come home and finish a scratch build FT Arrow. I'm going to see how blue fanfold works for the wings.

FDS

Elite member
Be sure to use BLUE thread lock on there, red can be very hard indeed to get off again.

jaredstrees

also, you can put a little dab of hot glue on the treads instead of locktite. It'll snug up the nut without making it to hard to get off. Just a tiny bit goes a long way.

Also remember most of these props are designed to turn CCW, so you may not get the thrust you want if it spins CW.

Reactions: FDS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Is there a downside to using quad props on fixed wing?
The only real downside is that Quad props Whilst good at developing significant thrust at zero airspeed they do not perform well on a high speed design, (For high speed flight proper designed propellers will be required).

As a side note, I use cheap Quad props on most of my builds and designs!

Have Fun!