Have ever dreamed of not crashing anymore? Need that implemented in all FCs!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I don't want a robot.

I fly to get my heart pounding. I want to feel the rush and thrill of victory. You cannot win if you cannot lose. There is no thrill without the agony.

I don't want a robot that cannot crash. I want a copter that will break into a thousand tiny peices if I let down my guard for a instant. That forces me to live in the moment; to savor the cool air and feel the flush of fear when I try a flip or high speed dive or get too close to one of my wife's rosebushes.

I don't want to have the luxury of thinking about what's for dinner when I fly. I want to have to focus on flight or smash trying.

I fly because I love it. I love my wife the same way. There is no autopilot for what you love and I wanna love and fly like life itself depends on it, living every moment passionately and with a little fear and a lot of thrill each and every day until I crash and burn in grandiose manner.

You can exist without risk, loss, danger, but you cannot live without them.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Crashing is half the fun... as long as you fly something cheap and easy.

I tried to do a loop with my first plane and somehow I managed to do a perfect 90* left turn at the end. I kept the throttle at full speed the entire time so my plane was going way too fast and flew straight into a fence post and exploded. It was hilarious. So hilarious that I wanted to buy a new plane and do it again.

I'm all for protecting electronics as much as possible. I'm broke so I want to keep my "expensive" parts to last as long as possible. I'm all for designing a plane/copter that can really take a beating before it needs repairs. But the best way to learn is to fail. It's why I have my signature what it is.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Crashing is half the fun... as long as you fly something cheap and easy.

I second that, here here.

It's all about learning to fly and having fun. Learning to build getting better and having fun. The more you do it the better you be. If you never crash your just not learning right. You do need to push yourself to new boundaries and to do that you have to take you experiences to the limit and do what you are not comfortable with to improve. Which means you will "crash and learn"... That's my new quote... :)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
After my $300 accidental loss of visual contact and fly-away, I now have a special kind of visceral fear when my quad or tri fails to appear to do EXACTLY what i command it to, even for a second when it's really high up or far away.

kah00na

After my $300 accidental loss of visual contact and fly-away, I now have a special kind of visceral fear when my quad or tri fails to appear to do EXACTLY what i command it to, even for a second when it's really high up or far away.
Me too! I was not thinking "crashing is half the fun" as I watched my tricopter fall from 400 feet and smash into my neighbor's roof after a propeller broke in midair.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If anything, I would say that crashing is part of the hobby that we have fun at. I never have fun crashing, but I do like building and learning from my crashes. But enjoy them? Not unless it's on purpose, like in some combat...

earthsciteach

I've had some pretty epic crashes that were definitely worth the rebuild. And, as far as combat goes, I have a friend who I fly with and no matter what we are flying, if we are both in the air at the same time, its going to become combat. It just happens. The feeling from a series of successful flights would be diminished if there were no crashes. Its all part of the game. Besides, no great story ends with, "and then I landed safely."

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have yet to get to the point where my planes last long enough for me to justify spending over $40 on an airframe or over 10 hours on a build. I agree that crashing isn't fun if it's over $40 or over a 10 hour build.

Flying fast and loose is one aspect of the hobby. Crashes better be fun if that's what you do. Then there is the precision aspect of the hobby. Where crashes are heart breaking because of the time and money and skill put into it.

I fly fast and loose. I just like breaking things. It's how I relax.

I completely understand the precision flying. Whether that's capturing a scale look, aerial photography, glider flights for as long as possible, FPV, or long range. All of which crashing would be heart breaking. Crashing will always be part of the hobby, but certainly not fun with precision flying.

But no matter what, crashes should be embraced. They happen.

I don't know what my point is. I think the crash proof quad is all about the robotics of it. The challenge of making something that can recognize that it's about to crash and then prevent it. It's like long range. It's not really that fun to fly. It's all about the technical challenge of it. At least that's what ibcrazy said when talking about why he does long range.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I've had some pretty epic crashes that were definitely worth the rebuild. And, as far as combat goes, I have a friend who I fly with and no matter what we are flying, if we are both in the air at the same time, its going to become combat. It just happens. The feeling from a series of successful flights would be diminished if there were no crashes. Its all part of the game. Besides, no great story ends with, "and then I landed safely."
I know. Don't get me wrong, Teach. I don't dread crashes and I know even though they are going to happen, I will still fly. There are some crashes that I do laugh at. Let's face it, some of them ARE funny! I just don't enjoy the crash part or the sinking feeling you get when you rekit, but I do understand that crashes both teach us something(or at least they should) and that they make the successful flights feel that much better. If we didn't crash, I guess everyone would do it, right?