Have you become recognized at your local Dollar Tree?

rockets4kids

I think the people that work at my local Dollar Tree have noticed that I have been in on multiple occasions purchasing more foam board than one normally purchases. Time before last they asked me what I was building with all the foam, and I told them. Most recent time I was in, they asked me how the flying was going. ;-)

As an aside, question to the Flite Test crew: Do you guys pay retail for your foam or do you get a volume discount? If you get a discount, how did you arrange that, and how much did you need to purchase?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think they mentioned getting a pallet of foam in one of the episodes. With the volume they go through, it the only way that makes sense. Now, what kind of discount you get on a pallet or even how many sheets that is, someone else will have to answer.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I never buy more than 50 sheets at a time (one case). I consider $50 for 50 sheets a BIG bargain. When buying a case I avoid the usual slightly warped sheets that are in a partial case. I once wrote a review of the foam on the Dollar Tree Site touting it's use as plane building material and it was NEVER approved or posted to their site.

Thurmond

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Absolutely. I'm well recognized there. Usually I get the "what are you building now?"

Wes Vasher

If you buy 22 or 24 at a time or something they don't have to count the sheets individually so that's what I buy. I pick them out individually to avoid any with moisture damage, bent corners, or ones with the paper separating from the foam. They do look at me funny every time though.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Oh yeah, I even brought a pusher pool noodle DtFB plane to show them once. They said that that was the highest tech usage of those items they had ever seen.

Bedrock

Dear American Flite Testers,
Do you all realise how incredibly jealous those in the UK and Europe get when we hear these wonderful tales of the (to us) mystical stuff that is Dollar Tree Foam.....grrr! Ours stuff seems to be 60% heavier and 100% more expensive!

Anyway...happy building!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sorry, Bedrock. It's not meant as bragging about how good we have it. It's more about how lucky we are to have found flitetest and want to repay that by comical stories of value priced hobby goods and materials.
You're not buying it, huh? We do realize how lucky we are, but it never hurts to hear from those less fortunate to really understand how lucky we are and not take it for granted...
I truly wish it wasn't so hard to get DTFB other side of the pond.

rockets4kids

Do you all realise how incredibly jealous those in the UK and Europe get when we hear these wonderful tales of the (to us) mystical stuff that is Dollar Tree Foam.....grrr! Ours stuff seems to be 60% heavier and 100% more expensive!

Someone from across the pond (sorry, I can't remember who or where) mentioned that they were using a foam designed to go under hardwood floors. The sheets are roughly the same size as DT foam, does not have the paper, but it is *half* the price of Dollar Tree foam! You might want to see if you can find this in the UK.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
When I was a kid I tried to make planes out of corrugated cardboard. I bet it could be done using FT methods. It would be heavier but nothing a little Swedish engineering cant overcome! MOAR POWER!

lonewolf7717

Anyway...happy building!
I must be mistaken, for quite some time now I was of the assumption the UK had an ample supply of cheap depron. Isn't it used as a underfloor layment on that side of the world? When I started in the hobby it was balsa or depron and depron here state side was (and is) unbelievably pricey. I would kiss the man's feet that first picked up a piece of DTFB and wondered "what if?".

Tritium

I got my depron at Hobby Lobby (not the RC one but the hobby one). It is what the core of their foam board is and their black foamboard is cored with black depron. I did several RC Powers builds with it. I switched to dollar tree because it is far less expensive.

Thurmond

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Last time I bought dollar tree foam board the cashier asked: "Didn't you just buy a bunch of this stuff?" Then I proceeded to tell him what I use it for. Maybe next time I'll get the "How are the planes flying?"

MEGAjig

Anyway...happy building!

Business opportunity?
Start importing this stuff in an selling it airfields :)

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Ok...so I work at a place that sells the ADAMS foam board..it is not Dollar Tree...which is why people should just call it Adams foam board...anyhow...I buy enough of it. My employees, and many of my customers know what I am buying it for. One of my customers is also as rc flyer. He flys mostly gas stuff, but I built a FT Flyer and gave it to him. I don't see him anymore, I went to a new location, but saw his wife and she tells me he loves it.

When I have a customer buying the adams foam board, I usually tell them what I would do with it.

I do wonder what Flite Test has done to Adams bottom line. I would love to see there sales number from before Flite test to now! I would think that they are quite thankful to Chad, Josh and David ( as well as Experimental air and others designing with the Adams foam board).

lonewolf7717

The shame is Adams offers a multitude of colors in the Redi-board line. As to where this cornucopia rainbowy goodness can be purchased.....3 years and still looking....:(:confused:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I buy foam-board by the case. Just started buying the Dollar Tree poster-board as well. It seems to work really well.

Tritium

The shame is Adams offers a multitude of colors in the Redi-board line. As to where this cornucopia rainbowy goodness can be purchased.....3 years and still looking....:(:confused:

We will see if RL Adams replies to my inquiries about retailers of colored paper covered board and minimum quantities for direct order. They even make the Blue Core Fan Fold for Dow.

Thurmond

DDSFlyer

I recently just started buying this stuff , not in the bulk numbers you guys are buying (only about 10 sheets at a time) but each time I go the employees always ask what I'm building. I even told one guy about Flite Test and he said he was going straight back to look that up so he could start doing it also! Love Flite test!