Have you seen, "Devotion"

Inq

Elite member
What are your thoughts? Of course some of the dog-fight scenes I could tell it was CGI'd, but all the flight line shots... I couldn't tell. Logic alone says... that there isn't that many Corsair and/or Bearcats that they could have gotten to take some of those shots, but I couldn't tell.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
What are your thoughts? Of course some of the dog-fight scenes I could tell it was CGI'd, but all the flight line shots... I couldn't tell. Logic alone says... that there isn't that many Corsair and/or Bearcats that they could have gotten to take some of those shots, but I couldn't tell.
is it worth watching? been thinking about watching it

Inq

Elite member
is it worth watching? been thinking about watching it

I have it free on Amazon Prime. It was definitely worth that for the planes alone. I think I would have been disappointed if I dropped a bundle at the movie theater to enjoy sticking to the floor and people texting in front of me.

But opinions of movies are highly subjective. So... mine will give you a gauge - I was quite happy with my purchase of the 4K version of TopGun Maverick AND a 4K player just so I could watch it on my big screen TV. I was willing to accept deferred gratification to not watch it in the theater or get the DVD version that came out earlier. I would have sprung for an IMAX version if the nearest one wasn't three hours way! :cool:

I'm not sure I'll watch Devotion a second time unless I want to build a Bearcat or Corsair model. Then I definitely would. In fact the Bearcats were sweet... I might have to make a scale variable pitch prop for one of those and just flat-out scream.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I have it free on Amazon Prime. It was definitely worth that for the planes alone. I think I would have been disappointed if I dropped a bundle at the movie theater to enjoy sticking to the floor and people texting in front of me.

But opinions of movies are highly subjective. So... mine will give you a gauge - I was quite happy with my purchase of the 4K version of TopGun Maverick AND a 4K player just so I could watch it on my big screen TV. I was willing to accept deferred gratification to not watch it in the theater or get the DVD version that came out earlier. I would have sprung for an IMAX version if the nearest one wasn't three hours way! :cool:

I'm not sure I'll watch Devotion a second time unless I want to build a Bearcat or Corsair model. Then I definitely would. In fact the Bearcats were sweet... I might have to make a scale variable pitch prop for one of those and just flat-out scream.
I have amazon prime I thought it was jsut in theaatres. that increases my chances of watching it.

Inq

Elite member
I have amazon prime I thought it was jsut in theaatres. that increases my chances of watching it.

It was hi-lighted when I logged in on the TV starting a day or two ago. It's in 4K and is visually stunning detail of the planes!

MrKilometer

There's actually an article in EAA Sport Aviation about Devotion - all the airplanes and the helicopter were real. They filmed it with the same cinema jet company that did Maverick, and the effects, carrier, and other details were CG.

Inq

Elite member
There's actually an article in EAA Sport Aviation about Devotion - all the airplanes and the helicopter were real. They filmed it with the same cinema jet company that did Maverick, and the effects, carrier, and other details were CG.

So... are there really that many Bearcats and Corsairs around that they could entice owners to let them re-paint and film... or are they using a couple and CGI duplicating them in the same scenes?

Also, I've always thought the Bearcat was the pinnacle of Navy propeller aviation since it was designed far later than the Corsair and didn't even see use in WWII. So, it seemed kind of odd to replace Bearcats with Corsairs. I'm assuming this is an actual portrayal... surely, Hollywood didn't screw up something that fundamental. Does anyone know details about the relative merit of the two planes and why I'm so confused about this tid-bit? I mean... the Bearcat is a <expletive> beast. It's like someone said... "We have this 2500 HP, 18 cylinder, 2800 CUBIC INCHES Monster... what is the smallest, lightest plane we can strap to it?" And someone actually had an answer. BTW - The Corsair used the same engine in the end, but was way bigger and heavier.

Bearcats
1673393160632.png

3 and 4 bladed Corsairs
1673393289886.png

Inq

Elite member
Just looked it up...

There are only 10 Bearcats flyable and many of those are modded for Reno type unlimited racing.

10 to 15 flyable Corsairs.

MrKilometer

I should have been more clear, sorry. The airplanes are real in many scenes, but with some CGi duplicates. Similar to how they duplicated the F-18s during the carrier launch scene in Maverick, I think the photos you posted above are 1-2 real aircraft in the front, and then CGi models.

Inq

Elite member
Sorry guys! I misspoke... we recently got Paramount+. It just released on it, not Amazon Prime.

MrClean

There are history articles of it on Youtube. Here is a link to The History Guy from two years ago when I learned or relearned of the event. Born in 63 WWII, Korea and Vietnam era stories were just part of growing up and this tale of sacrifice was one of them. I don't know how Hollywood will do with the movie now as Hollywood seems to spend so much time being divisive, probably all the backing they get from entities that don't have America in their best interests. But the will of One individual or a group, to do whatever it takes to save another is something that should be championed, and not tarnished. I hope they do a good job. But growing up with Tora Tora Tora and Midway and then being treated to Pearl Harbor and Midway, well, I'm hesitant. I'll catch it on Netflix as I'm ready for California to realize their brand of crazy isn't nationwide and a little return to reality needs to happen before I support them anymore.
And lord help us if they go the Flyboys route where every German aircraft was a red triplane. Man, it was amaizing graphics back then wasn't it? But then, so was PacMan in it's day.