Having a go at a Master Series type design

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Got the wing completed tonight. It's a bit heavy (close to 300g including servos and wiring) but very stiff. Propped it up with the fuselage and it's looking pretty good. If I can grab some time tomorrow I need to figure out the final details for the wing/fuselage mounting system. That's the last tricky piece of the puzzle. Then just need to try and get it to fly properly!

View attachment 159523
That looks sweet!

The Fopster

Master member
how big is the plane? i also see when build 40"+ wingspan, close to 300g is normal by the foamboards used.
The wingspan is 1.2m, roughly the same size as the FT master series planes. 300g was just for the wing (😮) but it is very strong! As long as the plane comes in under a kilo ready to fly I'm sure I will be OK.

leaded50

Legendary member
i made a plane with much similarity as the PA Argus (1.1m wingspan), and decided to make the wings detachable. They got strong too, with the needed strength, and have a weight of total 347g.. so your not the only one with heavy wings :).
Keep it up, nice build!!

The Fopster

Master member
A very geeky post this evening...
Last significant design decisions were sorted today. I wanted to do a removable wing - I've done one on my MS P47 that straps in with Velcro, but after seeing a really slick system on a Corsair on YT wanted something a bit better.
So - the battery box is extended rearwards so the wing can hook in directly, and all the flight loads from motor, wing and battery mass all go directly through the battery box.
The front of the wing has a section of the upperb surface removed up to the spar, which has a wooden strengthening brace with two location pins inserted (tongue depressor stick and bbq skewers respectively). The wing slides forward onto the pins, locating the leading edge.
At the rear, a box structure added below the battery box carries another locating pin (to locate the rear of the wing laterally) and a magnet off a conference delegate badge (which had been in my useful junk box for several years) to hold the wing in place.
Fitting is very quick - slide the front onto the pins, then drop the rear with a very satisfying "clunk" sound onto the rear pin and magnet. It works!
Here are the dull pictures.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
Nearly the last piece of the jigsaw done tonight. Stabiliser cut out, with bbq skewer embedded for stiffness. Slots are cut in the fuse, and it seems to line up square with everything and parallel to the flat bottom of the wing. Phew! Now I just need to sort the cowl, and get the rear servos installed (once the postman delivers them!). Stuck it on the scale, and it's doing quite well for weight so far - should easily be under a kilo RTF. I REALLY hope it flies well, because it LOOKS nice!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

The Fopster

Master member
Well it flies! I guess now I'll have to paint it as it seems to be able to get up and down in one piece. Maiden weather was a bit windy (I cut most of the audio from the video - it was just annoying wind noise) but it flew OK except it needed way more down trim than I could add on the TX. I will adjust the wing incidence to fix that (hopefully). Otherwise it went fine - phew!

1.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Liutan

Well it flies! I guess now I'll have to paint it as it seems to be able to get up and down in one piece. Maiden weather was a bit windy (I cut most of the audio from the video - it was just annoying wind noise) but it flew OK except it needed way more down trim than I could add on the TX. I will adjust the wing incidence to fix that (hopefully). Otherwise it went fine - phew!

View attachment 161806

Brilliant!!!!(y)

The Fopster

Master member
After the maiden of the Sea Fury I reduced the wing incidence and went out yesterday to re-maiden it. Things did not go entirely to plan.

On the upside, it flew great. The down-trim was now way OTT, so I tried to trim it out as I flew. Plane was stable and responsive. I was standing in a different place in the field to avoid having the low sun in my eyes, and as a result was much closer to a line of trees than usual...

Made a turn back towards myself, and it became evident that the plane was not, as I thought, in the main part of the field with me, but in fact on the other side of the line of trees. This was confirmed when there was a loud bang and the plane halted with impressive rapidity high up in a tree.

The fuselage carried on through with considerable damage, leaving the tail and wings about 30 feet up in the tree. I did the walk of shame home carrying the bits that came down, but went back today to see if I could get the wing back, To my great joy the wing and remnants of the tail have come down in the wind overnight, and I was able to bring them home.

I'll attempt a repair next week when a few "life" things have been dealt with. Then I will do a clean build of V1.1 with some mods and improvements...

Ouch!

IMG_20200325_163503015.jpg IMG_20200326_172253083_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
Repairs started. Wing was surprisingly intact, and servos still work. A bit of hot glue and I think it's OK to fly. Rear of fuselage stuck back on, as it was a clean break, and the nose quickly hot glued. I've decided to make this flyable quickly and roughly and fly the heck out of it while I build a much cleaner V1.1 with some things I've learnt from this one included in the design. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

IMG_20200327_111429074.jpg
IMG_20200327_125233354.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
OK - repairs done (roughly - it's not a hangar queen anymore!) and flew again today. Nice calm day, and after increasing aileron throws and lots of downtrim it flew pretty well. I'm only a newb pilot so just some slow scale-ish aerobatics, but pretty pleased with how it went (including nice big loop even thought it's only flying on a 3s battery). I'll paint this one roughly then build a nicer V2 sometime...

IMG_20200403_121421390_HDR.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
OK - repairs done (roughly - it's not a hangar queen anymore!) and flew again today. Nice calm day, and after increasing aileron throws and lots of downtrim it flew pretty well. I'm only a newb pilot so just some slow scale-ish aerobatics, but pretty pleased with how it went (including nice big loop even thought it's only flying on a 3s battery). I'll paint this one roughly then build a nicer V2 sometime...

View attachment 164352
I think in fixing it you got it to fly better, great job!

keepitup

A very geeky post this evening...
Last significant design decisions were sorted today. I wanted to do a removable wing - I've done one on my MS P47 that straps in with Velcro, but after seeing a really slick system on a Corsair on YT wanted something a bit better.
So - the battery box is extended rearwards so the wing can hook in directly, and all the flight loads from motor, wing and battery mass all go directly through the battery box.
The front of the wing has a section of the upperb surface removed up to the spar, which has a wooden strengthening brace with two location pins inserted (tongue depressor stick and bbq skewers respectively). The wing slides forward onto the pins, locating the leading edge.
At the rear, a box structure added below the battery box carries another locating pin (to locate the rear of the wing laterally) and a magnet off a conference delegate badge (which had been in my useful junk box for several years) to hold the wing in place.
Fitting is very quick - slide the front onto the pins, then drop the rear with a very satisfying "clunk" sound onto the rear pin and magnet. It works!
Here are the dull pictures.

View attachment 159787 View attachment 159789 View attachment 159790 View attachment 159791 View attachment 159792 View attachment 159793
Slick!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 164352

Wow, that flew amazing! Great job. (y)

Rhaps

Elite member

View attachment 164352

Looks really good in the air

The Fopster

Master member
We had good weather here in the UK today - warm and sunny, but very breezy - so I took advantage and set up a garden paint booth to paint the repaired Sea Fury. I had to choose a scheme that I could approximate with colours I had left over from other home and hobby projects, as of course the shops are all closed. I had white and grey rattle cans and some coloured packing tape, so I've gone for a Canadian Navy scheme VG-ZZA. It should be "Sky" rather than white, but it'll have to do. I'm hoping the high viz red wing tips (and horizontal stab, when I get that done) will help with orientation.

Despite the not inconsiderable damage from trying to fly through a tree, it's looking OK. I'll finish it up in the next few days, then I just need to fly the heck out of it whilst I work out a few ideas for the next design, which will be quite different...

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg
4.jpg

whackflyer

Master member
We had good weather here in the UK today - warm and sunny, but very breezy - so I took advantage and set up a garden paint booth to paint the repaired Sea Fury. I had to choose a scheme that I could approximate with colours I had left over from other home and hobby projects, as of course the shops are all closed. I had white and grey rattle cans and some coloured packing tape, so I've gone for a Canadian Navy scheme VG-ZZA. It should be "Sky" rather than white, but it'll have to do. I'm hoping the high viz red wing tips (and horizontal stab, when I get that done) will help with orientation.

Despite the not inconsiderable damage from trying to fly through a tree, it's looking OK. I'll finish it up in the next few days, then I just need to fly the heck out of it whilst I work out a few ideas for the next design, which will be quite different...

View attachment 164599 View attachment 164600 View attachment 164601 View attachment 164602
That is beeeaaauuutiful!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 164599 View attachment 164600 View attachment 164601 View attachment 164602
That will be so easy to see in the air. Thumbs up on the livery