Having a go at a Master Series type design

The Fopster

Master member
Santa was very good to me this year, and duly delivered a box of waterproof FT foam on the big day. I really wanted to build the MS Spitfire, as my Windestal Spit is my favourite plane to fly. However, the wait looked too long so I scratch built a P47 from the John Ovetstreet design, and although mine is a bit rough it worked and it flies really well. What next?
I've decided to have a go at a Master Series type design of my own. It will be another WW2 warbird, designed for a 2200 3 cell and a 9x6 prop - similar to the FT planes and the same power as my P47.
A few things will be different to John's planes. The wing will be removable (to aid storage and domestic harmony!) and the battery will be more accessible for easy changes in the field. I struggle reaching inside the P47 without removing the wing (I amended mine so the wing is removable).
So - I've got a 3 view printed out, a stack of foam and some free time in the next few weeks. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_114854118_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200218_114854118_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200218_145817258.jpg
    IMG_20200218_145817258.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200218_145852836.jpg
    IMG_20200218_145852836.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
Aahh! Another WW2 warbird? I'm curious to know your choice ... Good luck!
After I'd seen the P47 I decided to try a MS style Spitfire. Then I found John Overstreet's Instagram account where he'd posted a brilliant Spitfire, and there was no way I'd do better. So - I decided to do a Mosquito, but then on Instagram... 😆
So I've decided not to say anything about what this will be in case Mr Overstreet's foam factory is also on the case. But here's another early clue...

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_162900293.jpg
    IMG_20200218_162900293.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Figure9

Elite member
Santa was very good to me this year, and duly delivered a box of waterproof FT foam on the big day. I really wanted to build the MS Spitfire, as my Windestal Spit is my favourite plane to fly. However, the wait looked too long so I scratch built a P47 from the John Ovetstreet design, and although mine is a bit rough it worked and it flies really well. What next?
I've decided to have a go at a Master Series type design of my own. It will be another WW2 warbird, designed for a 2200 3 cell and a 9x6 prop - similar to the FT planes and the same power as my P47.
A few things will be different to John's planes. The wing will be removable (to aid storage and domestic harmony!) and the battery will be more accessible for easy changes in the field. I struggle reaching inside the P47 without removing the wing (I amended mine so the wing is removable).
So - I've got a 3 view printed out, a stack of foam and some free time in the next few weeks. Wish me luck!

Domestic harmony? Are you telling me some of you are able to build RC stuff & also maintain domestic harmony!?!? How do you do that? That’s amazing! Figure9

The Fopster

Master member
Domestic harmony survives, despite further building. My wife's sewing habit outweighs my plane thing!

Starting to skin the fuselage. It's working out OK - so far...

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_192659451.jpg
    IMG_20200219_192659451.jpg
  • IMG_20200219_192642082.jpg
    IMG_20200219_192642082.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
Change of area this evening. When I was planning to build a master series Mosquito I was thinking about how to make it rigid so the three main masses (motors and battery) didn't move relative to each other. I'd decided to make a box spar to join the motor nacelles to the fuselage to give some extra torsional rigidity versus the flat spars in the Overstreet planes. I decided to try the idea on this plane, even though it's not a twin so doesn't have the same stresses. I'd planned to use the heavy UK foamboard for the spar and skip using any ply, so I went ahead in line with that original plan.

I'm pretty pleased with the result. It feels very stiff, including in twisting. Heavy, but probably no more than the twin ply braces (completed box spar is 75g). Hopefully I won't fold the wings!

Tomorrow night - back to the fuselage after this break.

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_211848892.jpg
    IMG_20200225_211848892.jpg
  • IMG_20200225_214136465.jpg
    IMG_20200225_214136465.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
Sorry no. WW2. I think there may be a tiny clue in the background of one of the pictures this evening (that also gives away another idea in this build...).
I'm only being cryptic because every time I say out loud what in going to build, I immediately see a John Overstreet version that's ten times better than mine will be! I'm trying not to set his foamboard factory going on the same subject - at least until I'm done! I know there's no point competing with the foamboard whisperer!

The Fopster

Master member
Settled down this evening to build the wing. Bottom skins cut out, happy the box spar will take the flight loads with no further reinforcement. On to install the... Aaahh. I have no spare servos. Doh!

So - skipped a few steps and did what anyone would do in this circumstance. Arranged all the bits already cut out to see if they look like a plane! 😀

And the good news - they do! Now I need some servos...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 0

Daniel Liutan

Settled down this evening to build the wing. Bottom skins cut out, happy the box spar will take the flight loads with no further reinforcement. On to install the... Aaahh. I have no spare servos. Doh!

So - skipped a few steps and did what anyone would do in this circumstance. Arranged all the bits already cut out to see if they look like a plane! 😀

And the good news - they do! Now I need some servos...

I guess it is a Sea fury?

Daniel Liutan

It is. I think the Sea Fury is a great looking plane. Not quite as nice as the Spitfire or Mosquito I was planning, but the Overstreet Foam Factory beat me to it! I'm hoping he's not doing this one...

Yeah!!! Acutually Sea fury and Bearcat are my favourite two WWII warbirds. I own the flightline 1200mm series.

To be honest, no offence, 'Aesthetic fatigue' is my current feeling with Overstreet FT Master series. They are too 'Main Stream'.

For me, DIY RC doen't just means saving money, i am expecting some thing unique and creative.

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
Interesting to hear you have the flight line version - one of my ideas revolves around that plane. I've scaled mine to the same size, and ordered a canopy and decals for the flight line version! If this flies well I may then save up to buy the retracts and build a new wing to take them! I wonder why more people don't do that - an easy way to get really scale canopies etc.

The Fopster

Master member
Got the wing completed tonight. It's a bit heavy (close to 300g including servos and wiring) but very stiff. Propped it up with the fuselage and it's looking pretty good. If I can grab some time tomorrow I need to figure out the final details for the wing/fuselage mounting system. That's the last tricky piece of the puzzle. Then just need to try and get it to fly properly!

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Daniel Liutan

Interesting to hear you have the flight line version - one of my ideas revolves around that plane. I've scaled mine to the same size, and ordered a canopy and decals for the flight line version! If this flies well I may then save up to buy the retracts and build a new wing to take them! I wonder why more people don't do that - an easy way to get really scale canopies etc.

I believe the spirit of FT design is about full DIY. Because not every single RC fan can afford a finished RC, even just parts.

I usually make the canopy from paper model plan. Most time I am happy with the result. Just cut some soft drink bottle and use the curve.

You design looks really slick. Please finish it and post the plan, please!!! :LOL:

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.30.31 am.png

mmexport1541498592243.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
Got the wing completed tonight. It's a bit heavy (close to 300g including servos and wiring) but very stiff. Propped it up with the fuselage and it's looking pretty good. If I can grab some time tomorrow I need to figure out the final details for the wing/fuselage mounting system. That's the last tricky piece of the puzzle. Then just need to try and get it to fly properly!

View attachment 159523
how big is the plane? i also see when build 40"+ wingspan, close to 300g is normal by the foamboards used.