Having hard time gluing servo to wing (Storch)

FLL-flyer

I'm trying to attach the servo to the wing. I have glued and reglued a couple times - and before gluing, tried out the Josh-recommended method of sanding the servo to create some adherance. Nothing, it just slips out. I'm thinking of grabbing some duct tape and stuffing between wing and servo - a messy idea but hopefully that will help cram the servo in there as there will be less space for it to move around.

Any other ideas? Before i do something i may regret later!

JTarmstr

Elite member
I use my box cutter to make some jagged cuts in the servo casing, hot glue grabs it really well. Sanding hasn't helped me that much.

donalson

I use my box cutter to make some jagged cuts in the servo casing, hot glue grabs it really well. Sanding hasn't helped me that much.

every time I've mounted similarly I've done the same, cut with the utility knife in an X pattern... another thing you could do is cut a box the shape of the servo with foamboard that you could glue down to the wing itself and then glue the servo into place... it would keep it from moving forward or backward... FT has something similar in the explorer.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve not had any problem with hot glue sticking to a servo. You need to make sure your glue is hot before you apply it, then give it plenty of time to cool before you test it

Arcfyre

Elite member
You can also remove a small square of paper where the servo will go so that you're gluing the servo to foam instead of paper. As long as your glue gun is really hot, it shouldn't ever come off.

FLL-flyer

You can also remove a small square of paper where the servo will go so that you're gluing the servo to foam instead of paper. As long as your glue gun is really hot, it shouldn't ever come off.

I considered that but the wing is all folded up, there's no clearance to cut anything out. I'm thinking of taking some foam and sticking it behind servo as a "stop" so it doesn't move back and forth when the servo arm pushes the pushrod. As of now, it's glued but very wiggly, it's not set in place.

Bricks

Master member
Something is not right I have hot glued many many servos and have never had one come loose even in crashes. Is the surface painted or taped?

Seahunter

Sounds like the glue is not quite hot enough, I experienced a similar problem before I got the AdTech Pro200w gun hot glue from the Ft store. How about your A and B glued seams, are you able to wipe excess glue up along the seam like Josh does. If its hard to do or you have to be quick to clean it up, that's your problem.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use the white glue gun from Wal-Mart. At full power, it will get the glue too hot, the glue will boil. You need to give any glue gun time to come to temp. If you try to use it too soon, your joint will fail. I've put my gun on a light dimmer, give it full power to start, then adjust till you get the glue temp just right. It takes a bit of fiddling until you figure out where just right is, then make yourself a mark. For me, it's about 60% of full power.

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Personally I don't think that is the best location for that servo (I'm assuming the one near the wing tips). On my Storch, at least one of those would come loose and I'd have to reglue. I would suggest finding someway of reinforcing it (what donalson suggested is good too) OR glue it on the underside of the wing somewhere on the flat part of the airfoil. I ended moving mine from the end of the wing to about where the servos would go for a flap installation.