having some issues with a custom quadcopter

CappyAmeric

Elite member
i just want a big quadcopter for my kid to watch fly around since the small ones are hard to see
This is for Line Of Sight? Except for basic testing (and only at a good distance), I wouldn‘t LOS something like this. Too big, too dangerous. Seriously. LOS on an R/C plane makes sense, but LOS on a quad is boring at best, and in this case being that close to something that big and unstable seems risky, IMHO.

Give him a real thrill. Build him a safe, smaller quad, put FPV on it and hand him ride-along goggles.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is for Line Of Sight? Except for basic testing (and only at a good distance), I wouldn‘t LOS something like this. Too big, too dangerous. Seriously. LOS on an R/C plane makes sense, but LOS on a quad is boring at best, and in this case being that close to something that big and unstable seems risky, IMHO.

Give him a real thrill. Build him a safe, smaller quad, put FPV on it and hand him ride-along goggles.

Actually acro LOS I found to be where I progressed the most when I first started. Wish I knew more about lowering rates back then It would have saved even more time and props. But I agree. NOT with an AP size craft. Build or buy an FPV 3 inch and have at it. Near impossible to hurt it or anything else baring using your face as a landing pad.

I have a 7 inch monitor I keep in my pack for the few odd times there are actually people around when I fly. They ALL have a blast watching. Little kids specially after you do the first flip or roll. They light up like Christmas trees with excitement. After you do a punch out its game over. They are hooked for life and their parents walk away mad at you because they know all they will hear from now til next Christmas is I WANT ONE!!!!!

I found out NEVER let first timers use your goggles unless they are sitting down and even then its a big if. I met a grandfather out with his grand kids trying to get a syma style quad in the air struggle. They had stripped one of the gears that drive the blades and all it would do was roll over. I handed the kids the monitor and they went bonkers while I did LOS flips and punch outs with my Alien. The grandfather saw how excited they were and asked if he could see but the kids balked at giving up the monitor so I handed him the goggles. He was just as excited as the kids right up until I did my first flip and he nearly fell off the bench from the vertigo.

D3s0l4ti0n

Good luck mate. Just be sure you keep your children at safe distances. Spinny vegomatics of deaths are no joke. This is a "Minor" oopsie.

View attachment 193494
oh yeah i know my 6 inch racing drone hit a draft from a vent in the place i was flying and i over corrected and it ended up tangling in my hair pretty bad i keep a safe distance and my kids are at least 10 or more feet away when taking off and flying Hench the bigger quad

D3s0l4ti0n

no this isnt los its going to be fpv im just getting it to fly before i add all the other components on it because it makes no sense to break other things if the frame wont work

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
oh yeah i know my 6 inch racing drone hit a draft from a vent in the place i was flying and i over corrected and it ended up tangling in my hair pretty bad i keep a safe distance and my kids are at least 10 or more feet away when taking off and flying Hench the bigger quad

I would up that to 10 yards mate... trust my experience here. Not my most smartest moment in my quad career.. BTW this is on that frame that rang like a dinner bell when I was trying to work out what was going on.

Phin G

Elite member
Good luck mate. Just be sure you keep your children at safe distances. Spinny vegomatics of deaths are no joke. This is a "Minor" oopsie.

View attachment 193494
Gosh did you fight your quad?! Who won; i bet you won. ;) i nearly cut the tip of my finger of due to arming it in my hand so i dropped the controller and ld it punched it tp half throttle. My dad played with his nitro truck and ripped a decorative slab off onto the floor a shard hit me in the back then he proceeded to drive and he hit a plant pot smashing it causing my brother to fall on the debris and it cut into his hand to the bone. Turns out my dad has the same scar as my brother! We are an accident prone family

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gosh did you fight your quad?! Who won; i bet you won. ;) i nearly cut the tip of my finger of due to arming it in my hand so i dropped the controller and ld it punched it tp half throttle. My dad played with his nitro truck and ripped a decorative slab off onto the floor a shard hit me in the back then he proceeded to drive and he hit a plant pot smashing it causing my brother to fall on the debris and it cut into his hand to the bone. Turns out my dad has the same scar as my brother! We are an accident prone family

Perfect example of me not following my own rule of being smarter then the things I am working with :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D3s0l4ti0n

oh i know of the dangers of electric rc of any nature my buddy set his controls for his rc plane wrong so off was full throttle i was working on it for him and he armed it cleaved a chunk of my thumb off 2 moths of healing im very careful when it comes to any rc slow throttle and very small adjustments till you can verify its stable and working properly
IMAG0384.jpg
IMAG0383.jpg
IMAG0382.jpg
IMAG0375.jpg
IMAG0374.jpg
IMAG0373.jpg
IMAG0371.jpg
IMAG0370.jpg
IMAG0368.jpg

Liam B

After vomiting my way through all the high-res juiciness from above, I'm just here to say that I think all your issues could be remedied with a stiffer frame.

D3s0l4ti0n

After vomiting my way through all the high-res juiciness from above, I'm just here to say that I think all your issues could be remedied with a stiffer frame.
oh i know but that's the fun part of building your own and tinkering i could easily just buy a 80 dollar 10 inch frame and all my issue's would be solved but that's no fun i have lots of projects this is just one of many, i just got into quadcopters and i like doing things the hard way first because its gives you more insight on the minor details of the normal way high risk high rewards is the way i work

Last edited:

Liam B

oh i know but that's the fun part of building your own and tinkering i could easily just buy a 80 dollar 10 inch frame and all my issue's would be solved but that's no fun i have lots of projects this is just one of many, i just got into quadcopters and i like doing things the hard way first because its gives you more insight on the minor details of the normal way high risk high rewards is the way i work

If you’re into tinkering and building your own, you should take a look into some of the open-source designs or CADing a frame out! That way, you got your own touch on a quad and it’s much more rigid.

D3s0l4ti0n

so after a re print of parts and isolating the flight controller completely it still death wobbles i think its the motors or propellers i noticed the motors dont work properly and one of them some times wouldnt start when arming they were brand new to but there airplane motors not quadcopter motors so im ditching the printed frame and just going to buy a 10 inch quad frame and new motors and esc and go from there i swapped to printing a rc car instead much easier to work with

Last edited: