Help! Having trouble

Hendypendy

In my persuit of becoming a pilot i am having trouble trying to sort out my rx/tx before i scratch build my plane and i have come across a problem i bought a flysky fs16x for transmitter and reciver and trying to get my esc and motor to work isnt going well (cheap ebay motor esc combo) i can get it to bind and arm fine but motor doesnt want to run just cogs at really low speed and doesnt work HELP!!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
In my persuit of becoming a pilot i am having trouble trying to sort out my rx/tx before i scratch build my plane and i have come across a problem i bought a flysky fs16x for transmitter and reciver and trying to get my esc and motor to work isnt going well (cheap ebay motor esc combo) i can get it to bind and arm fine but motor doesnt want to run just cogs at really low speed and doesnt work HELP!!
You might have to calibrate your esc. I’m not sure how with that esc or tx. But somebody else might.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
What are your throttle endpoints set at? It might be set so that your ESC only gets a very low throttle signal and sensorless brushless motors do tend to cog horribly at low speeds especially smaller ones with heavier propellers. It may also be you have a defective ESC - I have recieved cheap no-name ESCs off of banggood that when given any sort of throttle signal they only cog and do nothing else.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have calibrated it reset factory defults and tried different motors to sort out the issue still the same reult

See if there are settings to adjust the timing. I had an issue with one of my ESCs being set to the wrong timing for the motor, and it would stutter like you’re describing.

If there’s no timing settings, it may be an issue with the motor/esc.

Hendypendy

Start tx then start rx wait for tone with the trottle in at 100% then when tone sounds drop to 0% then three beeps confirms calibration

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Start tx then start rx wait for tone with the trottle in at 100% then when tone sounds drop to 0% then three beeps confirms calibration
Yep. Have you checked all your solder joints? Everything is solid, and there's no possible contact between the motor wires?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It sounds like you've done everything right. I've had that issue with motors before. Each time, either I had used too long a screw to mount the motor, the esc was bad, or the esc needed calibrating.

I'm afraid I've come across more bad, cheap esc's then I care to count. I'm in agreement with the poster's above. You've done the due diligence. Chances are, it's a bad esc. :(

FDS

Elite member
Those cheap ESC’s are not great, a couple of $ more buys you a better one with fixed wing settings such as over discharge protection for your battery already installed. I use the Hobbywing Skywalker ESC’s in many of my planes, they are inexpensive vs premium ones but have good fixed wing firmware in as sold.

FDS

Elite member
I buy whatever motor the plans call for, usually not the ones that come in the cheap bundles. I use a $5 1806 2400KV motor off Hobbyking for minis then 2212 1000kv Emax or 2812 1000kv for simple series. I just look at what’s on the plans then buy that size or one bigger if I can‘t get exactly the same. I buy ESC’s with some headroom as well, so they don’t get hot. Generally 30A.