Having troubling binding my Turnigy 9X

tomiodaumit

Hey guys,

I built my tricopter a year ago and have yet to put it in the air... Everything is built and ready to go, however I can't get the transmitter and receiver bound. It's a Turnigy 9X. I don't have a binding battery, so I just hooked it up as if I were about to fly it, connected the battery and tried binding it using the main battery. It worked once (the light on the receiver was lit) however when I tried throttling up, nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tomio

lonewolf7717

Need more details my man. are you flying with Turnigy 2.4ghz module that comes with radio stock or an aftermarket such as Frsky? Also, what model RX are you trying to bind with? Binding differs based upon 2.4ghz systems used and sometimes even different RX within a given product line.

tomiodaumit

Yea man, I'm trying to fly with the module that comes with the transmitter, it's a RF 9Xv2 module. I'm not using a binding battery, just hooking it up and trying to bind when everything is set-up, is that a problem?

RoyBro

Mentor
Let's check the binding first. Forget about the throttle for now. The receiver, battery and server should NOT be connected to the Tricopter control board at this time.

These are the normal steps for binding the 9x with the stock module and receiver.
To set up, put the ESC plug into Channel 3 and the bind plug into the bind port.
Plug the battery into the ESC. With the bind plug in, the LED on the receiver should be flashing.
Press the bind button on the back of the module and power on your transmitter.
The flashing LED on the receiver should go from flashing to solid. The Tx and Rx are now bound.
Turn off the transmitter and unplug the battery from the ESC. Remove the binding plug.

To test, plug in a servo into channel 1 of the receiver
Turn on the Transmitter.
Plug the battery into the ESC. The LED on the receiver should go immediately to solid and you should hear the servo move slightly.
Move the right stick on the transmitter side to side (Aileron). The server should move back and forth.

If the bind was successful, you can now mount the receiver on the Tricopter and attach the wires to the controller.

Before the motors will spin up, you will need to calibrate the ESC, calibrate the gyros and arm the tricopter.

But this procedure will ensure that whatever problem you may be having, it won't be a binding problem between the radio and receiver.

Good luck.

Note: the above instructions assume your 9x is a Mode 2.

Last edited:

tomiodaumit

Thanks RoyBoy,

Those are the steps that I have done before, and the receiver LED goes solid. However when I plug the servo into the receiver and turn the transmitter on, the servo make a loud continuous beeping noise, and does not stop. The servo also does not move...

T

lonewolf7717

Hate to throw a wrench in the works.....but wasn't an issue with needing to put binding plug in batt position rather than bind? Mislabeling issue with those RX

Flat4

Thanks RoyBoy,

Those are the steps that I have done before, and the receiver LED goes solid. However when I plug the servo into the receiver and turn the transmitter on, the servo make a loud continuous beeping noise, and does not stop. The servo also does not move...

T

Did you mean the esc was making the continuous beeping noise? If so it may be the throttle safety, in which case you might have to reverse the throttle channel, or check if somehow throttle up trim got programmed in.

RoyBro

Mentor
Perhaps a picture of your receiver with the esc and servo plugged in will assist us in helping you.

tomiodaumit

Sorry, I did everything again and it is the motor that is beep loudly and "twitching" a little bit... photo.JPG

RoyBro

Mentor
Disconnect the motor. It is not necessary to troubleshoot the binding process.

Also. If you have another servo you can use for testing, it would be better to test with no load on the servo.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The motor twitching is how the ESC makes the beeping. The ESC has no speaker on it's own. It's normal to do that.
I would also get some heatshrink on the bare bullet connectors coming off the ESC. If the leads manage to touch and you don't notice and give throttle, you'll burn up the ESC.

earthsciteach

Here's how I did it with my 9x before switching to the FrSky Module:
1. Plug esc into channel 3 on the rx
2. Insert bind plug into the "batt" position on the rx
3. Plug esc into a battery - the red led in the rx should be flashing once this is done
4. While holding the Bind/Range Test button on the back of the tx, turn the tx on
5. When the led on the rx stops blinking and is continuously on, unplug the battery from the esc
6. Turn off the tx
7. Remove bind plug from rx.

Everything should be good to go at this point. Hook up a servo to one of the channels to test. Turn on your tx, first, then plug the rx into the battery from this point on.

tomiodaumit

Thanks for the replies! I was able to bind the transmitter and receiver, however the servo doesn't move when connected... I'll start another feed for this problem.

RoyBro

Mentor
Thanks for the replies! I was able to bind the transmitter and receiver, however the servo doesn't move when connected... I'll start another feed for this problem.

Probably a good idea. You should remove the servo from the copter or use a different servo.