Hawk is Stalking Me

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So a few weeks ago I posted a video of a Hawk as it chased my quad. Well it seems it may have a grudge with Taz after being ditched after the chase. I woke up this morning and went to see what the weather was like and here he was under the trees outside my building having a breakfast of one of the unfortunate birds to have stayed a bit too long before heading south.

Here is the birds loss to Taz in a race about the field out back.

And here it is stalking me and waiting for another shot at Taz outside my building. Sorry for the video quality as it is raw footage thru the bedroom window and screens at 36X digital zoom. It was all I could do to keep it in frame by hand at that level of zoom.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
He's gotta eat, unfortunately...And with the snow, it's tougher to find stuff. Hopefully he's still around come spring. I hate to see birds of prey bite the dust during lean and snowy winter months.

My parents had one similar to that show up on their fence outside their kitchen window a couple of times; he comes and hunts the sparrows and doves that are attracted to the bird feeders my parents put out.

Good luck dodging him!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I did some research and looked at pictures and read some write ups about various birds of prey near me. The one in the video that chased the quad I think is a young adult female red tail hawk and the one in this new video is a red shouldered hawk young. It seems pretty healthy when you can see it in real vision (AKA with my glasses on). There is just a big difference in natural size between the two types. Was pretty interesting lookin all that up this afternoon.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Om nom nom nom.....

Tastes....

Om nom nom nom nom....

Like.....

om nom

CHICKEN!....

om nom nom.

Was there any left for lunch?

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That sneaky bugger just made me look like a fool...

Darn thing sat in the pine tree for like 30 minutes squawking. I looked out to see what all the noise was and couldn't see anything. After like 20 minutes checking on and off I finally spotted it in the tree just outside my window. It was sitting on a branch all pathetic looking squawking away but it had its left wing stretched out on a branch. After a minute or two it did not move the wing at all. Then it leaned forward and tumbled out of the tree onto the ground and flopped in the snow a few times before righting itself. Wing still hanging limp on the ground.

When it started squawking again I felt bad and called the local PD to have them send animal control out to retrieve it. The dispatcher said they would send an officer to assess it and she would try and contact one of the rescue teams specifically for these birds in the area. I thought COOL I did a good deed and the sun is barely up!!. Figured it would be a few minutes for the officer to show up so I heated a cup of coffee and went back to the window to keep an eye on it. That bugger was sitting there wings up where they should be eating another little bird.

I have never seen a predatory bird hunt like that. Smart little thing. Evidently that tactic is working well for it as its a pudgey little bird. Anyway the officer just left as when he was walking around out back he saw it and it flew away just fine. We kinda giggled I got suckered so all is well I suppose.. So much for my good deed for the day.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So was out flying here the last two days and learned I have a new flying buddy to deal with. thought I saw a shadow of an extra large hawk until it flew directly over my head heading to the hills. Come to find out its a full on Bald Eagle. About half an hour after it passed it flew back over to the tree line where the hawks have nested last three years. It had a 6 to 8 foot snake hanging from its talons. Sadly I was unprepared in both cases and did not get pictures.

This evening however while out with my friend Tom we saw a Sheriff with his lights on at the side of the road. As we passed I saw the Eagle standing on the side of the road on a small berm. We turned around and got some pictures best we could with toms phone so here he is. My new flying buddy. I really hope he likes Quads. I do NOT wanna see his shadow chasing me.

PsyBorg's nemesis.jpg