HD Scale FPV - with Headtracking

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Greased wheelie landings with headtracking FPV in a scale Pilatus PC-21. So smooth you
can’t tell when the wheels touched down...
GReat work @FPVAirCombat - You have done a superb job, on the setup, the flying, the cockpit details. I know most of us here would love to learn more about how you built it.

FPVAirCombat

Thanks FoamyDM. Here’s a short clip of the FPV setup of previous version which crashed last year. I am still using the same gimbal and FPV system. Currently still tweaking the Version 2 setup to try and fit the canopy back on - solving VTX cooling and visual distortion concerns. Will post my progress here.

FPVAirCombat

Here are a couple of pics of my current fpv setup with ruler for size reference:

Attachments

• 593CF73E-BCE9-4A19-9376-C2E4ADA2DD6B.jpeg
    593CF73E-BCE9-4A19-9376-C2E4ADA2DD6B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 311F1F92-6B00-4021-B02E-EB785BD5A77A.jpeg
    311F1F92-6B00-4021-B02E-EB785BD5A77A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

FPVAirCombat

Practicing traffic pattern/touch and goes like full scale pilots do during training,trying for nose high greaser consistently

FPVAirCombat

Fast speeds and FPV flying does not mix well. Much more intense than chasing the Cub.
Formation from taxi to takeoff to landing - no cuts.

FPVAirCombat

Practicing basic airmanship stuff like short approaches, touch & goes, turn around a point and basic aerobatics while giving joyrides to a couple of licensed pilot friends. Verdict: why pay $200/hour for full scale plane rental when scale FPV flying is more fun - G forces not withstanding - and don’t have to deal with air traffic control.

FPVAirCombat

Practicing close formation with a friend. Video includes audio of us talking at the flight line to coordinate our formation from takeoff to landing. Turned out surprisingly well for our first flight together. I got on station at 2:00.

FPVAirCombat

Here’s the view of my plane - front quarter - from the belly of his plane. A perspective rarely seen in RC. Stabilized at 1:51.

FPVAirCombat

Sharing my flying bud’s video of our T-33’s in formation. He designed and 3d printed his own head-tracking turret. I flew lead. Watch in 4K large screen. Credit: AeroCali