He-162 Salamander - Heinkel plane 2021 challenge

kilroy07

Legendary member
Here's my entry into the Heinkel plane challenge https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/heinkel-plane-2021-challenge.68064/

I had taken a break from RC for awhile, but I did attend FF this year and that rekindled the fire within.
Then this challenge comes along and I say "What the heck"

I've always liked this plane, even though it was not particularly effective.
Since I've upgraded the EDFs I'm using in the SR I have a couple lower end EDFs laying around...

A prototype has been built.
IMG_1642[1].JPG
Things learned;
Needs to be larger I'm thinking 150% or more.
I used plans for a paper model as a template, it needed bulkheads... I have a nice plan for a balsa design I might try next.
The wing was a total fail. I was going for a K-step airfoil... Aannnd... didn't quite get there.

I'll Post the cut files (DXF) Just as a service to everyone, but I plan to totally rework the plan in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• He162_1.dxf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • He162_2.dxf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

kilroy07

Legendary member
IMG_1660[1].JPG

Okay full scale mock up (V2) was tossed around today... A few things to tweak (must remember some things need to be scaled, others (like spars) do not...) also the mirror command is useful for wings (so you don't end up with two left wings! "Doh!")

Working on "final" plans now with the corrections.

CG was right on the spar (from tossing about)... We might see a maiden tomorrow...

Looking at the photo, maybe I'll bump up the fuselage width while I'm at it...

kilroy07

Legendary member
IMG_1676[1].JPG

V3
I thought this one would see some air time as I have built a tray for the battery, had holes for the rear servos, aannnd... "Thought I had accounted for everything."

Well, as you can see my all the notes I wrote as I built this one up over the past two nights, I've still got some work to do.
Tomorrow and Wednesday's weather calls for rain and high winds, so I think I will build one more with all the refinements from this build.
Balances nicely with a 2200 3cell near the nose.

Took a bunch of photos for the build guide, but moving the tray to under the wing (and making the wing removable) is a pretty major change... But since I'm doing all the layup work in CAD and the laser cuts a set in 10 minutes I feel a bit like Elon Musk with all the disposable prototypes...

I'm going to call this "Sport Scale" that is a few things are a bit off, but I think it captures the "feel" of the 162.
On the next build I might add some internal support for landing gear, but to be honest, our club has a grass field so I probably won't test this out myself.

Jesse Dupreez

View attachment 207443
V3
I thought this one would see some air time as I have built a tray for the battery, had holes for the rear servos, aannnd... "Thought I had accounted for everything."

Well, as you can see my all the notes I wrote as I built this one up over the past two nights, I've still got some work to do.
Tomorrow and Wednesday's weather calls for rain and high winds, so I think I will build one more with all the refinements from this build.
Balances nicely with a 2200 3cell near the nose.

Took a bunch of photos for the build guide, but moving the tray to under the wing (and making the wing removable) is a pretty major change... But since I'm doing all the layup work in CAD and the laser cuts a set in 10 minutes I feel a bit like Elon Musk with all the disposable prototypes...

I'm going to call this "Sport Scale" that is a few things are a bit off, but I think it captures the "feel" of the 162.
On the next build I might add some internal support for landing gear, but to be honest, our club has a grass field so I probably won't test this out myself.
looks a bit like a A-10

kilroy07

Legendary member
Okay, it's been awhile since I got back to this.
My great friend @mayan distracted me with his great rendition of the DGA-6 and I offered to do a build along, so I sidelined the 162 for a bit
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dga-6-aka-mister-mulligan-group-build.68375/
(the fact that I am redoing the main fuselage might also had a part in it...)

But tonight I am devoting some time back to the design.

The plan is to bump up the fuselage about 20% just to give it "that look" it's actually pretty close to "scale" right now, but it looks a little too "needley" to me... I don't want to scale the length however, so it does me quite a bit of work to generate the new parts.
Add to that the I want to make the wings removable to access the battery etc (future models might switch to the hatch being under the canopy) and it will take ma a couple hours tonight to get this all done...

Ver 4. soon!

Midnight_Builds

Okay, it's been awhile since I got back to this.
My great friend @mayan distracted me with his great rendition of the DGA-6 and I offered to do a build along, so I sidelined the 162 for a bit
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dga-6-aka-mister-mulligan-group-build.68375/
(the fact that I am redoing the main fuselage might also had a part in it...)

But tonight I am devoting some time back to the design.

The plan is to bump up the fuselage about 20% just to give it "that look" it's actually pretty close to "scale" right now, but it looks a little too "needley" to me... I don't want to scale the length however, so it does me quite a bit of work to generate the new parts.
Add to that the I want to make the wings removable to access the battery etc (future models might switch to the hatch being under the canopy) and it will take ma a couple hours tonight to get this all done...

Ver 4. soon!
Any progress on version 4? This is like my only shot at building a smaller(cheaper) RC He-162 and looks like it will be a fun build as well as fly! Going right to DollarTree after work and getting more foamboard!