Help! He inspired us to look up - FoamyDM's Hayao Miyazaki Challenge - Let's get building!

Next Nausicaä craft build

• Mehve (glider Nausicaä rode)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Tormekian Tranport ship

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Pejite Gunship

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • An Insect build

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Brian B

Elite member
That is the one! Imagine sculpting the body of that thing, that would look super cool if it actually flew.

Your bumblecrow is looking awesome! I forget wether it's here or on rcgroups, but I'd definitely enter that in a "fantasy flight" contest.

I believe that plane is a French Caudron G.III. It was a recon plane during the first world war. I hope you have lots of cf tube if you want to model it, skewers would be WAY too heavy.
View attachment 151288

And why not enter? I'll edit this post whenever I get around to building the Ka-14, but Here is the link to the Dinah thread. As evidence this actually appeared in the movie, here is a screenshot.
View attachment 151289

Those little green blobs are most definitely Dinah's, as they have the twin engines, and by the end of the war, many Ki-46 iii's were retrofitted with upward facing cannons specifically for the role of Superfortress hunting. My plane, however, is the fastest version, with streamlined nose and upgraded engines. And no guns.

View attachment 151290

And just for reference, here is the "star" of The Wind Rises: the Ka-14
View attachment 151292

Actual planes meshing with Miyazaki's fantastical flare is probably one of the best things on the planet.

Love your work. Older post, but I made the elegant dream plane from "The Wind Rises", sorta like this one. The picture with Aeronica-style wheel pants was a test mockup only. Flew great with C-pack. Gonna build a Beta someday, complete with landing gear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719-200902_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-200902_Messages.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210718_142016.jpg
    20210718_142016.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210719-230354_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-230354_Messages.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
Love your work. Older post, but I made the elegant dream plane from "The Wind Rises", sorta like this one. The picture with Aeronica-style wheel pants was a test mockup only. Flew great with C-pack. Gonna build a Beta someday, complete with landing gear.
Yeah the Ka-14 is great! Normally it is open cockpit but I'll let the pilot do the designing work

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Started looking through this and thinking, "Huh...I've seen a flying 'witch'; maybe I need to make a flying Kiki on her broomstick!"

Brian B

Elite member
I did not intend for this thread to go dormant. nor Am I done building or Designing myasaki Planes.
@Brian B - the KA-14 looks Great!
@DinosEatPeople1- yup, designers choice
@sprzout - That is a GREAT idea.
Thanks, but actually this one preceeded the KA-14 in the movie, from Hiro's dreams. Enclosed cockpit, more slender wings and fuselage. But I couldn't just leave it white, so added some color.

Attachments

• R (1).jpeg
    R (1).jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0

Brian B

Elite member
I think I'm going to do Gina's seaplane from Porko Rossa. I think it is a Macchi M-5. 3 channel, 6" prop on 2200kv, about 30" WS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725-095704_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-095704_Gallery.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 0

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I think I'm going to do Gina's seaplane from Porko Rossa. I think it is a Macchi M-5. 3 channel, 6" prop on 2200kv, about 30" WS.
I built one of those a while ago! its such a pretty plane. In the flash back scene to the WW1 dogfight he is flying in a macchi m.5

Brian B

Elite member
I built one of those a while ago! its such a pretty plane. In the flash back scene to the WW1 dogfight he is flying in a macchi m.5

I didn't catch that. Time to watch again!

My daughter turned me on to Myasaki, so this 58 year old here is making that plane for her, and I'll make a S.51 for myself (pretend it's Porko's retirement wings). Hoping for formation flying, but both need to up our flying skills 😉.

Brian B

Elite member

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Neglected to update. Completed and flies OK. Needs more power but most troublesome flight characteristic is the dirty air on the rudder when power off resulting in a spin. But looked great in the air, and learned some good design lessons. Waiting for my sister to print a big "G" for Gina on her Criket.
View attachment 209548
View attachment 209549
Awesome Looking Plane and I am so Happy It flew! I am curious how the tower was built and how it all held up.

Brian B

Elite member
Awesome Looking Plane and I am so Happy It flew! I am curious how the tower was built and how it all held up.
Foam board with balsa reinforcing. Crashed a lot. And it held. Small spider-wire reinforcing, hardly noticeable. Finally cracked from a high speed crash. Gonna replace structure with thin plywood cut with a coping saw.