Help! He inspired us to look up - FoamyDM's Hayao Miyazaki Challenge - Let's get building!

Next Nausicaä craft build

• Mehve (glider Nausicaä rode)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Tormekian Tranport ship

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Pejite Gunship

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • An Insect build

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Inspiration
Not everyone has discovered the interesting and varied world of Japanese animation (anime). It houses some animated works that rival any Walt Disney or Pixar classic in their depth of story, beauty, characters and message about the world we live in. And for many, Hayao Miyazaki, founder of Studio Ghibli is their favorite. He is a creator of World favorites like My Neighbor Totoro (To Nari No Totoro), and Nausicaä of the Valley of the wind. Porco Russo, and Wing of Honneamise are but a few.

His films inspire us to think about other ways the world could be and thereby about a world we could find ourselves in, or a world to aspire to. One thing that is present in all his movies in some way, is a wonderment of flight. They nearly always involve some delightfully plausibly impossible form of Flight, be it the witch Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service to the Giant Floating insects floating through the fungal amazon-like jungle overtaking a ruined world in Nausicaä, or a floating Castle in Castle in the Sky! All of them have inspired me to remember look up and strive to make the implausible possible. That's what I intend to do here.

If the journey of FliteTest has done nothing else, it had shown me that it is possible to make nearly ANYTHING fly... just keep at it, with the right balance and enough thrust, it can fly.

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown
:sick::eek:**Today, I am Challenging myself to design and build as many DTFB FlightTest Miyazaki based/inspired Craft as I reasonably can in 1 year.**:eek::sick:
I challenge you to design and build 1 - JUST ONE over this Next Year

Who else is interested?
Jeremy from FliteTest has started,

This ornithopter enthusiast (Kazuhiko Kakuta) found tons of inspiration too

I'm taking a stab with my FTFC19/20 Savoia Marchetti S.55X, a real life watercraft featured briefly in Porco Russo, right now, as part of both the FTFC19
267232_05a325b7e57355beb0067e847eed0671_thumb.jpg

The Mehve is just so inspirational that these folks built a full scale one!

-->This is Where I need your help! <--
I need to stay inspired! I work best tackling a challenge with or along side someone (stupid Challenges @rockyboy :p)
I throw down a gauntlet to challenge any Forum members who wish to try and make a one of Miyazaki's inspirational ideas take flight for real. You are already in good company,

If you want to Join me on this journey with your design, Here's How:
Tell me you are entering
Craft Name and or Picture
Inspiring Myazaki film name
Link to the build Thread, name format -> FDM-HMC - Craftname designed by NAME

My goal is to design and successfully build more planes, myself, than all you challengers do - combined!*
Make this Challenge Overwhelming for me!

Right Now I have 1 nearly finished, (the S.55x) and I have 1 design in the can... where are you?

*To be counted as done, you need proof of Flight. (video)

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Reserved for Challenge Lists

FOAMYDM's BUILD LIST

Challenger's List

Porco Russo

Nausicaä of the Valey of the Wind
- Mehve |Plans V0.0 | Forum Thread
Tolmekian Bumblecrow|Plans vA1.0 | Forum Thread
Tolmekian Corvette|Plans vB1.0 | Forum Thread
■ Pejite Fighter|Plans V0.0 | Forum Thread​
■ Tolmekian Cargo|Plans V0.0 | Forum Thread​
■ Pejite Tanks |Plans V0.0 | Forum Thread​
■ Totoro-drone|Plans V0.0 | Forum Thread​

@Robyle3 | Ka-14 | Thread | The Wind Rises
@Robyle3
| Ki-46 Dinah | Thread| The Wind Rises

@DokCosmac | Pteradon | Thread | Sherlock Hound
@DokCosmac | J
et Boat (A5)| Thread | Porco Russo

Last edited:

FoamyDM

So the Nausicaä build line has started - I linked my build thread to the Armored Corvette
TolmekianCorvette2Etsy.jpg

Not sure if I will tackle the Mehve, or the Tormekian Transport ship next
Glider.jpg <----> groupshot.jpg (corvette is in the top left.)
What do you think?

Vimana89

Legendary member
So the Nausicaä build line has started - I linked my build thread to the Armored Corvette
View attachment 150725
Not sure if I will tackle the Mehve, or the Tormekian Transport ship next
View attachment 150726 <----> View attachment 150727 (corvette is in the top left.)
What do you think?
Beautiful tandem plane. That one is gorgeous and practical too! Not familiar with these shows(probably should check them out), but I'm a fan of Gundam and Robotech.

Robyle3

While not exactly the same thing, I was inspired to build the ka-14 from "The Wind Rises" (see profile pic).
I'm also currently re-designing it and working on the Ki-46 Dinah that briefly appeared in the same film.
Hayato has some amazing designs that could also be made from mult-rotors as well (I'm thinking of that battleship from howls moving castle).

FoamyDM

While not exactly the same thing, I was inspired to build the ka-14 from "The Wind Rises" (see profile pic).
I'm also currently re-designing it and working on the Ki-46 Dinah that briefly appeared in the same film.
Hayato has some amazing designs that could also be made from mult-rotors as well (I'm thinking of that battleship from howls moving castle).
It's right on spot! I actually looked for it. as I wanted to attach it to the first post. @Robyle3 - are you putting your Ki-46 Dinah in for the fun? (I'll need a link).
Is this the battleship?
1576501596916.png
Is this a bomb bay below?
Kazuhiko Kakuta has a flapping design that seems to work well with this.

FoamyDM

Here's an Alpha 1/3 full size plan (40") for the Tormekian Heavy Transport - BumbleCrow. Aimed for an A/F pack or possibly H-mini quad motors.
33%PlanCapture.PNG
Plan Pic - PDF Linked

Full/Final is aimed for 120" wingspan

Attachments

• TromHvyTrans-Bumbcrow.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Robyle3

That is the one! Imagine sculpting the body of that thing, that would look super cool if it actually flew.

Your bumblecrow is looking awesome! I forget wether it's here or on rcgroups, but I'd definitely enter that in a "fantasy flight" contest.

I believe that plane is a French Caudron G.III. It was a recon plane during the first world war. I hope you have lots of cf tube if you want to model it, skewers would be WAY too heavy.
caudron_g3_pic.jpg

And why not enter? I'll edit this post whenever I get around to building the Ka-14, but Here is the link to the Dinah thread. As evidence this actually appeared in the movie, here is a screenshot.
KT_B-29.jpg

Those little green blobs are most definitely Dinah's, as they have the twin engines, and by the end of the war, many Ki-46 iii's were retrofitted with upward facing cannons specifically for the role of Superfortress hunting. My plane, however, is the fastest version, with streamlined nose and upgraded engines. And no guns.

NEOGDS-297253.jpg

And just for reference, here is the "star" of The Wind Rises: the Ka-14
694cqfwphfp11.jpg

Actual planes meshing with Miyazaki's fantastical flare is probably one of the best things on the planet.

FoamyDM

That is the one! Imagine sculpting the body of that thing, that would look super cool if it actually flew.

Your bumblecrow is looking awesome! I forget wether it's here or on rcgroups, but I'd definitely enter that in a "fantasy flight" contest.

I believe that plane is a French Caudron G.III. It was a recon plane during the first world war. I hope you have lots of cf tube if you want to model it, skewers would be WAY too heavy.
View attachment 151288

And why not enter? I'll edit this post whenever I get around to building the Ka-14, but Here is the link to the Dinah thread. As evidence this actually appeared in the movie, here is a screenshot.
View attachment 151289

Those little green blobs are most definitely Dinah's, as they have the twin engines, and by the end of the war, many Ki-46 iii's were retrofitted with upward facing cannons specifically for the role of Superfortress hunting. My plane, however, is the fastest version, with streamlined nose and upgraded engines. And no guns.

View attachment 151290

And just for reference, here is the "star" of The Wind Rises: the Ka-14
View attachment 151292

Actual planes meshing with Miyazaki's fantastical flare is probably one of the best things on the planet.
Thank you @Robyle3 . I will be sure to add the Ka-46 "dinah" and add you in for the Ka-14.
The one in the capture has twin engines, but this is a close approximate if it isn't the right plane. It's a Caudron for sure, but likely a twin engine G4. I think most of this can be done with BBQ and/or Balsa Stick, tied together with coat thread and CA glue.

http://www.ww1-planes.com/France/Caudron_G.4.jpg

Robyle3

Those little nubs behind the wing! I missed those, lols. But at least now we have the answer XD

And the constellation thought it was special with 3 fins? Talk to my boiz, the Caudron Brothers.

DokCosmac

Hey, ever get that Tolmekian ship to fly? Very cool stuff. I put up an article on my Mowe design. Which one of these Miyazaki planes should I try next? Jet boat glider from Porco Rosso, dream plane from The Wind Rises, or pterandon from Sherlock Hound?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-11-30-10h58m42s804.png
    vlcsnap-2019-11-30-10h58m42s804.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2019-12-10 Sherlock Hound #5 The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle [English Dubbed] -...png
    Screenshot_2019-12-10 Sherlock Hound #5 The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle [English Dubbed] -...png
    591 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

I have lost many a good plane to cog issues, so I’m a bit paranoid about it
What do you mean by COG issues, Like mechanical Failures (such as Servos)? Switch to metal gear if you can spare the weight penalty.

Hey, ever get that Tolmekian ship to fly? Very cool stuff. I put up an article on my Mowe design. Which one of these Miyazaki planes should I try next? Jet boat glider from Porco Rosso, dream plane from The Wind Rises, or pterandon from Sherlock Hound?
I had never heard of Sherlock Hound! Thank you for mentioning it here. @DokCosmac I haven't started anything but the planning. I have enrolled deep into the FTFC20 Classic to modern challenge and I want to give each on of them a fair shake. however, i plan to get a number of plans ready for afterward. (likely put one into the FTFC20 Buildruary Challenge. Which is a MAD 4 planes - 4 weeks build challenge). that said. once I have built the planned ones for the C2M challenge. I plan to start building some of these. I personally want a Mëhve or Mowë, so that may get my attention as just a build along, (or one for the Buildruary)

About your choice... you had a great success with the Mehve, my vote would be the Pteradactyl/Pteradon as it will likely have a similar touchiness to the CG.

DokCosmac

About your choice... you had a great success with the Mehve, my vote would be the Pteradactyl/Pteradon as it will likely have a similar touchiness to the CG.

Yes, I thought that was the most interesting one too. I don't know how a huge vertical element at the front of a flying wing is going to work, though, not to mention the problems involved with the motor location and offset thrust making it want to take a dive. I guess the "head" needs to be more like a fuselage than a wing/control surface, even though in the anime it clearly has a huge rudder on it (which is the only visible control surface - any flying model would really have to have elevons on the wings, though). In the anime the beak could open and close, and a loudspeaker inside made prehistoric screams.

Sherlock Hound was great, it had a lot of weird steampunk vehicles and machines as well as more historical-looking craft. Lots of biplanes, airships, submarines, automobiles etc. The whole series (dub only, alas) is on TMS' Youtube channel; Miyazaki directed 6 of the 26 eps.

By the way, I am planning on scratch building your Burgess-Dunne biplane wing next. Any tips?

FoamyDM

I will have to watch a few of the episodes. So front rudder. tilting head, and a mouth that opens (to squawk). Interesting.
if you put the Motor tilts through the CoM, then the craft won't have it rotate. Easier said than done right?
AWESOME on attempting the BD.8! please be sure to tell me how your experience goes.

BD Tips - If you can, add cross bracing wires... do it. Without them the wings. sag a bit. Also Stiffen the fuse. As a hard landing is taken by the Fuselage. That fuse is a pretty people battery canoe, and not a landing skid.

I plan to do a V2 in the near future, and I would like to include any builders comments. (undercambered wing, Bracing, and a sturdier Fuse to take an impact.)

Tench745

Master member
If I remember correctly the jet glider is actually based on a real aircraft, though I can't seem to find that information at the moment.