HeadPlay HD FPV Goggles

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

When it comes to choosing fpv goggles... the options keep growing. The catch was you either spend $400+ or you spend $30 on the HobbyKing DIY kit.

headplay-3-png_1430164918.jpg

Currently, the cheapest and most basic goggle is this DIY monitor kit from HobbyKing. It's great for a beginner but there wasn't an additional option to step up from this, until now.

headplay-1-png_1430164867.jpg

The HeadPlay provides that additional option.

headplay-4-png_1430164939.jpg

The new HeadPlay goggles have plenty of easy to reach features at your fingertips. It integrates with Boscam, ImmersionRC, AND Fatshark giving you a 32 channel receiver.

headplay-5-png_1430164973.jpg

Although quite large, the comfort and fit surpass all the goggles we have worn previously. It would seem that this would feel very bricky, but it's super light weight and the foam is VERY comfortable.

headplay-23-png_1430165996.jpg

HeadPlay goggles use a monitor and a magnifier to maintain clarity.

headplay-6-png_1430165153.jpg

This gives the illusion of a larger screen than it actually is. This is either a pro or a con depending on the type of FPV you like to fly. If you are looking for more immersion the enlarged screen might just do it for you.

headplay-21-png_1430166013.jpg

Headplay goggles are also capable of accepting and outside HD signal through a mini HDMI port. This is great if you have a DJI light bridge or the new HD system from getfpv.

headplay-8-png_1430165218.jpg

We were fortunate to have the oppertunity to share FPV with the great people we met at the Utah S.T.E.A.M. expo. We also met a Flite Test fan named Conner and his Dad!

headplay-18-png_1430165756.jpg

After the event, we drove to the "Valley of the Gods" and invited Conner and his father to come along.
This is the same location were they filmed the 80's classic Airwolf!

headplay-7-png_1430165233.jpg

Conner has always flown with the $30 HK Goggles. We though it would be great to get an honest opinion from a pilot who wasn't used to the high end FPV gear.

headplay-9-png_1430165406.jpg

Eric flew his Electrohub Y6 (comming soon). Conner flew his Electrohub Spiderquad!

headplay-10-png_1430165479.jpg

Conner was very pleased with the detail and brightness of the HD display.

headplay-11-png_1430165386.jpg

headplay-12-png_1430165614.jpg

Even after telling us he's flow FPV for only a few months, Conner impressed us with his confidence behind the goggles!

headplay-13-png_1430165688.jpg

headplay-17-png_1430165732.jpg

headplay-20-png_1430165862.jpg

Overall everything we assumed about these goggles was true. They are amazingly good at blocking out incoming light, the HD display is crystal clear and extremely immersive (again, this is a pro or con depending on what you're looking for), the amount of receiver flexibility between all the FPV brands is exactly what we like to see from a product that helps newbies grow in the hobby.

kah00na

Poor Connor, the only difference he mentioned was that the screen was more clear. He's a good pilot but not much of a talker.

BadRad

I'm on the waiting list for my Headplays and the wait is almost over but still almost can't wait ;-)

The Flitetest show camera, looking into Conner's view from his multi was much clearer that I would expect from a 'standard definition' camera. I could swear he was using an HD source but I know that's not the case.

So here's the big question: Exactly what camera did he use? The clarity blew me away! THX

I'm on the waiting list for my Headplays and the wait is almost over but still almost can't wait ;-)

The Flitetest show camera, looking into Conner's view from his multi was much clearer that I would expect from a 'standard definition' camera. I could swear he was using an HD source but I know that's not the case.

So here's the big question: Exactly what camera did he use? The clarity blew me away! THX

i can't wait to see what my gopro hero 3 black looks like in these.

Fyathyrio

Really curious why the natural side by side comparison of Headplay vs Fatsharks was not done? I'd really like to see what Fatshark's 1990s tech VGA & SVGA will look like compared to true HD. Not including this test does a disservice I feel. The comments in the opening of the vid implied that they are not in the same class and the FS goggles superior. I agree that they are not in the same class, and suspect the HD Headplay may be the superior product...unfortunately I'll have to find out someplace else it would seem.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I'm not quite sure how they could do a better side-by-side comparison. This was a pre-release Headplay, so it kind of makes it not appropriate to compare with a production product. Also, the built-in / standard VRX on the Headplay is not HD (and far from true HD) so that's not a valid comparison either. I thought FT did a great job covering all the popular options - they compared it with the $30 foam LCD monitor goggles, the fat sharks, the zeiss (probably still the highest end of the FPV goggle world).

I currently have a HobbyKing $30 DIY goggle, but definitely plan to buy a Headplay. Yet, I do appreciate the compact size of the smaller fatsharks and cinemizers that would make packing for the field much easier.

kah00na

I'm not quite sure how they could do a better side-by-side comparison. This was a pre-release Headplay, so it kind of makes it not appropriate to compare with a production product. Also, the built-in / standard VRX on the Headplay is not HD (and far from true HD) so that's not a valid comparison either. I thought FT did a great job covering all the popular options - they compared it with the $30 foam LCD monitor goggles, the fat sharks, the zeiss (probably still the highest end of the FPV goggle world).

They think it is unfair to compare the $250 HeadPlay goggles against the $550 FatShark Dominator HDs, but have no problem comparing them to $30 Quantums? How does that make any sense?

"It would be unfair for me to compare my Ferrari against a Lamborghini, instead I'll compare it against this Ford Fiesta."

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
They think it is unfair to compare the $250 HeadPlay goggles against the $550 FatShark Dominator HDs, but have no problem comparing them to $30 Quantums? How does that make any sense?

"It would be unfair for me to compare my Ferrari against a Lamborghini, instead I'll compare it against this Ford Fiesta."

I don't think your car analogy fits because if anything, design-wise, the Quanum DIY goggles and the Headplays share a lot more engineering design aspects than the FatShark/Skyzone/Zeiss goggles.

The price difference between the $99 Quanum FPV set (because that's the set that includes a VRX) and the $250 Headplays are closer than you think -- even if the Quanum also includes a FPV VTX and camera.

The Dominator HD's have a different engineering design. You're talking two separate LCD's, a much more compact design, an integrated VRX and DVR, head tracking (I think) etc.

Anyway, I should say that I thought this comparison was great for helping people decide what they want... this comparison wasn't designed to pick "THE BEST" FPV goggle... it's to let people know what they should look for based on their requirements -- which should be a balance of what they want to pay, convenience, and features.

For that, I thought this episode was great.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FWIW (and not having seen the video yet) there isn't a "best" FPV goggle. Even "cost aside" (which is generally unrealistic), there are distinct advantages and disadvantages amongst the playing field.

It's perfectly fair to compare the most expensive with the cheapest, since the higher cost doesn't inherently buy you better, it buys you different . . . so what kind of different do you want? That's a very personal choice.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
"blue screen" is when the monitor/display/TV switches to a solid color screen when the signal becomes weak.

On a TV, it's good to prevent you hearing and seeing that annoying bust of static on an empty channel.

On an FPV display it means a weak signal you can still fly through is now gone because the display decided the signal wasn't good enough anymore . . . and your airframe now has a blind pilot.

"blue screen" is when the monitor/display/TV switches to a solid color screen when the signal becomes weak.

On a TV, it's good to prevent you hearing and seeing that annoying bust of static on an empty channel.

On an FPV display it means a weak signal you can still fly through is now gone because the display decided the signal wasn't good enough anymore . . . and your airframe now has a blind pilot.

Thanks for the explanation, quite helpful!

rickthebrewer

I think the problem here is the implication that the HeadPlay unit is just a stepping stone to "real" FPV equipment. The whole tone of the episode was that these are all right, but that Fatshark et al are clearly superior. I think Flite Test needs to reexamine it's objectivity standards. I thought that was the whole reason they ceased with the Hobby King sponsorship. I think that we are seeing the results of Mr. Kappers departure.

Fyathyrio

I currently have a HobbyKing $30 DIY goggle, but definitely plan to buy a Headplay. Yet, I do appreciate the compact size of the smaller fatsharks and cinemizers that would make packing for the field much easier.

There was no comparison, they showed the FS goggles, implied they were obviously better because they cost twice the price, and there was no more discussion on similarities or differences. Just because the two products were in the same video does not mean a comparison was made.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
NOTE: CRITICAL INFORMATION LEFT OUT OF THIS REVIEW!!!

If your near focus is at arms length the see below!

HEADPLAY HD GOGGLES ARE NOT FOR FARSIGHTED PEOPLE!!!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Uh oh. I use reader glasses but even then my range isn't what it used to be. Thanks for the warning.

tropnevad

Headplay HD Headset UK

Hi all, I think the headplay HD goggles are a great option for me since I am nearsighted and being able to use my glasses with the goggles seems possible when compared to some fatshark headsets and also when to consider the cost.

I am from the UK and it seems that only Unmannedtechshop.co.uk have them in stock but have only just found the shop? They do seem to be UK based though and not some seller from China posing as a UK shop.

http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-w-32ch-5-8ghz-receiver/

Has anyone purchased from them before?