Headtracking Solutions , what are the different systems you guys are using?

Kawamike

been using the Trinity module in the FS Dominator hd2's always worked very good apart from a little wondering from time to time , I have sorted that so I'm at looking for help on that thanks, but looking at trying other goggles and so i will need a different system for head tracking, saw the Quanum 3 Axis, anyone used this ? and how about others ? thanks gents (and ladies

FPVAirCombat

If you can find a Trinity external module, get it. It works great without drift. I set one on top of my DJI FPV goggles.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been playing with some Arduino boards lately. I am pretty sure there are some headtracker setups out there based on Arduino that could be used with just about any headset. The other thought I have is to use a flight controller as the head tracker with output to S.bus / s.port into a transmitter. This is something I've been wanting to do, regardless of what FPV gear is being used. So I will be looking at it from just the headtracking perspective.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All the sky zones except the newest 02c have built in head tracker units that are pretty smooth. I used the ones in my sky01v2's (very early model) and they are super stable. Just have to cut back on throws to 50% and speed to 50% until you dial them in for what you want to do other wise when they initialize they can throw a servo far enough to lock it up.

The new Sky 02x are under 250 dollars are diversity, have the head trackers and pretty nice screens. I cant compare to fat sharks as I have never seen those IRL. They receivers are pretty good as well no external modules or add ons like other goggles needed unless you plan for super long range flying.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hey, I still have an original set of fatshark teleporters that have the head tracking module and cable. Just plug in to the old Taranis and go. I have a pan mech set up on my surfer 1600 that needs to be maidenened. I could steal the tracking board out of those to mount on my good headset. Although I thing they would be less precise than an ardu setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20201112_155108_261.jpg
    IMG_20201112_155108_261.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Aaaaand... That was simple!
View attachment 183150

yeah set up is easy just like any other servo. The hard part is to match the head turn speed to the servo turn speed so you dont disorient yourself. Default values are insanely fast and in some cases will cause motion sickness in people. That or slam the servos so hard when setting the googles down or even putting them on for that matter.

I didn't think of it back in the days I was messing with it all but putting them on a switch to turn the tracking on and off for times like putting on or taking off goggles could be a nice break on the servos so they dont get slammed around.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
yeah set up is easy just like any other servo. The hard part is to match the head turn speed to the servo turn speed so you dont disorient yourself. Default values are insanely fast and in some cases will cause motion sickness in people. That or slam the servos so hard when setting the googles down or even putting them on for that matter.

I didn't think of it back in the days I was messing with it all but putting them on a switch to turn the tracking on and off for times like putting on or taking off goggles could be a nice break on the servos so they dont get slammed around.
Could easily set up a rate switch or slider for the pan/tilt

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That isn't finding one, that is finding the very available way to program STM32 chips using the arduino IDE, it isnt a solution to the question.
Well, OK, several of these solutions work for me. What solutions do you have?

Last edited: