Heat your home office, or workshop for next to nothing

eagle4

With winter approaching, you might not want to spend much time in your workshop as you'd like, or you are and its costing you a fortune in heating bills. Here is a nifty little trick to heat your small space for next to nothing.

I doubt it'd work here in montreal where it gets to -40, but still, handy little trick

Dave

Flat4

Nice find, thanks for sharing. Gonna try this out for my build room this winter, which happens to be a non heated sunroom. Will be loads cheaper to run than the electric space heater I normally resort to.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I just broke out my kerosene heater for my garage last night. Of course today it's in the upper 60's here but I think now I'm going to raid my wife's tea candles for an experiment lol.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Be advised that burning paraffin in an enclosed space is NOT healthy (yes I know, try to tell that to a woman who loves her candles) but then a lot of other things we do aren't healthy either . Soy candles or beeswax would be far better options but likely more expensive. I sold Soy candles for a while so I have researched this quite a bit.

Thurmond

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Be advised that burning paraffin in an enclosed space is NOT healthy (yes I know, try to tell that to a woman who loves her candles) but then a lot of other things we do aren't healthy either . Soy candles or beeswax would be far better options but likely more expensive. I sold Soy candles for a while so I have researched this quite a bit.

Thurmond
Is paraffin more or less healthy than my kerosene heater?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Is paraffin more or less healthy than my kerosene heater?

Probably a bit cleaner if the wick of the candle is trimmed so it is not smoking (also the candles are most likely a much smaller flame). Really it depends on the grade of kerosene and the type and condition of the burner. Either way when the byproducts of combustion are acted upon by fluorescent lighting some very unhealthy secondary air pollution is produced.

Don't worry, be happy!

Thurmond

lonewolf7717

have the multi-fuel heater running on Jet A in an enclosed space......belive kerosene trumps in the hazardous byproduct department.

eagle4

6-7 hr burn time. if anyone is willing do a little bubba math to sort out cost per hr, that would be awesome....its been a long day for me.
http://www.amazon.com/100-Unscented-Soy-Tea-Lights/dp/B006XEQ2G8/ref=sr_1_9/187-9995149-5951400?ie=UTF8&qid=1383871871&sr=8-9&keywords=soy+tealights

100 candles for $28
Becomes
1 candle = 28c

4 candles burn at the same time.
So that's about $1.12 per go.

Lets work off a 6 hour burn time.
That becomes about 19c per hour

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Did the guy in the video say the candles cost him £1 for a bag with 100 tea candles? That would be cheaper still.

NewZee

Alternatly we could just burn all of our crashed airplanes! I have an almost unlimited suply of fuel!