Heated laminate on foam board?

kdobson83

So, I'm in the market to get a Crashtesthobbies Assassin and was watching thru some of the build videos for it. He uses a clear laminate on the outer surface applying it with a hobby iron. I am currently scratch building a FT Spear and was wondering if I could use this heat laminate on Dollar tree foam board.
This laminate adds strength, water proofing, and gives it a clean finished look.
I know too much heat will melt the foam, and hobby irons are used to seal edges of the foam, but would it work to apply the laminate?

kdobson83

I’ve used laminate film on DTFB.
Does it go on pretty easy? I'd like to skip the water proofing stage. Just paint and add laminate.
Either laminate or some clear HD packing tape. I've never been very good with packing tape tho, always seem to get wrinkles...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I've used lam-film on foamboard builds with good success, and I used my hobby iron to apply it. I also use a household iron for large areas, with a cloth or denim sleeve covering the iron to keep things from sticking.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Does it go on pretty easy? I'd like to skip the water proofing stage. Just paint and add laminate.
Either laminate or some clear HD packing tape. I've never been very good with packing tape tho, always seem to get wrinkles...
Yes, it goes on easy, if you have used Monokote, you will have no problems

Last edited:

Keno

I prefer EconoKote on mine which is the low heat film of MonoKote. I use it mostly for graphics but have covered the whole project without any problems. EconoKote is cheaper.

kdobson83

Hmmmm, looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a hobby iron, get some experience on a cheap FT plane before I do the Crashtesthobbies Assassin.
Thanks guys! 👍

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hmmmm, looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a hobby iron, get some experience on a cheap FT plane before I do the Crashtesthobbies Assassin.
Thanks guys! 👍
A clothing iron from the thrift store works just as well as a hobby iron.

I should add, laminate film is low temp, similar to EconoKote. Low enough to not harm the foam.