Heating Issues:

Keshav Totla

I am using the following components:
  1. Lemon RC 3S-2200mAh 25C/ 50C (Burst) LiPo Battery
  2. Ready To Sky 80A ESC
  3. DYS D2726-6 BLDC (2200kV BLDC Motor)
I am testing out the components with 1045 (10 in, 4.5 Pitch) propeller.
I ran at 50% throttle for 1 min and observed that my motor - stator got hot along with the bullet connectors connecting the ESC to the motor.
I want to know why this is happening, how can I correct this if this is a problem. I am very new to the hobby of RC planes and could really use guidance.

quorneng

Master member
The DYS motor (if think it is actually 2826-6) you are using should be turning no more than a 7x4 prop.
See here
A 10x 4,5 will be grossly over loading it so It will get hot and soon fail completely if you keep running it.
Any aircraft motor has a specification giving its performance. You have to keep below its limits.
To turn that 10x4.5 prop you would need a 2826-13 1000kV version of that motor.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @quorneng, the prop is too big.

With any new prop it good to do a bench test. Run the motor full speed for 10 seconds, then stop and test the temperature of the motor, ESC, and battery by touching them. Warm is OK but if it so hot you don’t want to hold it, that’s too hot. Stop and use a smaller prop. If it passes, try a 30 second run. If it passes, then a 60 second run. If it passes a 60 second run, you are good to fly or test a larger prop. It always a good practice to test the temperature of everything after a flight. Keep in mind a prop that worked when it is cool, 70F, may cause overheating when it gets hot outside, 95F+.

The KV rating of a motor is how fast is spins per volt of power. The higher the KV the faster is spins. The higher the voltage the faster it spins. So if a prop works on 2S it may overheat on 3S, you may need a smaller prop.

As a beginner, a 2200 KV motor is going to make you plane fly fast. You might want to consider going to the 1000 KV motor. After you have learned to fly, then go for speed.

Flying slower just gives you more time to correct before your plane hits the ground.

Last edited: