Heinkel HE 51 Foamboard Plans

abledbody

Master of Potatoes
So a while ago I decided to try and make some plans for a swappable, and I went with the Heinkel HE 51. Why an HE 51? Idunno, seemed like a good idea at the time.
HE 51 Board1.png HE 51 Board2.png HE 51 Board3.png
This is the first finished version, feel free to download and build the plans. If you encounter a problem building or flying it, please, let me know so I can improve the design.

Update: 7/13/2014
I just finished the plane today! I'll get working on the instructions, in the mean time, have some pretty pictures!
Front
IMG_20140713_204754.jpg
Cockpit
IMG_20140713_204718.jpg
Isometric
IMG_20140713_204650.jpg

Assuming you have everything all cut out and you've made a few Flite Test designs, here's the instructions.

Upper wing
Fuselage
Final assembly

Update 1: Added a bunch of spars, the lower wing, slots for the fuselage on the horizontal stab, and the bottom cowlingy thing.
Update 2: Added turtledeck, servo arm slots, adjusted wing saddles, labeled folds, added posterboard stuff, finished first design.
Update 3: Added a slot for the servo leads on the mid wing, turtledeck, and fuselage ceiling.
Update 4: Flipped the left wing. WHOOPS!
Update 5: Adjusted the mid wing's saddle slots.
Update 6: Removed power pod slots, adjusted mid wing's saddle slots AGAIN, corrected width of turtledeck braces.
Update 7: Expanded the width of the turtledeck cover to adjust for the braces.
Update 8: Expanded the exhaust, and the cooling intake, added a slot for the vertical stabilizer on the top of the fuselage, removed the extra score on the intake, and shortened the tail, it was half an inch longer than it should've been due to a mathematical error.
Update 9: Removed unused spacers, corrected size of the lower cowling.

Attachments

• HE 51 Board1.pdf
    2.4 KB · Views: 117
  • HE 51 Board2.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 97
  • HE 51 Board3.pdf
    1.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
A very interesting looking airplane, but I have some questions.:confused:

What size power system are you using?

What is the wing span, fuse length, and A.U.W?

Does it use the standard FT Power Pod?

Is the bottom wing a "Flat Plate" type or does it have some camber for airfoil?

Do you use ailerons on both upper and lower wings or just the lower wing?

Is the landing gear typical FT style wire affair, attached to the Pod?

Will you have wheel pants design added to the plans?

Answers to these questions and more are keenly awaited.:D
I can't wait to see some pics of your finished model. It'll be a great addition to the "Swappaple" Biplane fleet.
Good Luck!

Tom

abledbody

Master of Potatoes
A very interesting looking airplane, but I have some questions.:confused:

What size power system are you using?

What is the wing span, fuse length, and A.U.W?

Does it use the standard FT Power Pod?

Is the bottom wing a "Flat Plate" type or does it have some camber for airfoil?

Do you use ailerons on both upper and lower wings or just the lower wing?

Is the landing gear typical FT style wire affair, attached to the Pod?

Will you have wheel pants design added to the plans?

Answers to these questions and more are keenly awaited.:D
I can't wait to see some pics of your finished model. It'll be a great addition to the "Swappaple" Biplane fleet.
Good Luck!

Tom

While I don't have have an answer to a few of these questions as I have yet to build the plane for myself, I can still answer some of them.

The power system I think should be either beef or slow fly, the details are sketchy.

I can calculate the size by the design, but not the weight. The upper wings are 34.25" in span, and the lower is 25.5". The fuselage should be hovering around 22.5".

Yes.

The bottom wing is a plate, yes, to accommodate the struts, and save on space, weight and effort.

It's really up to you, my idea was to have a pushrod running from the upper aileron to the lower. You could try adding a separate servo or just leaving the lower aileron out altogether.

I never build landing gear, but my recommendation is to install them on the bottom of the fuselage like a normal swappable.

I probably will, yes. [EDIT: I'm gonna try to keep the plans on three boards, two foam, one poster. If you want the wheel pants just download it separately.]

Thanks for taking an interest, I'll try to give you as much information as I can when I finish the build.

Last edited: