Heli Max Axe CP?

earthsciteach

A buddy of mine just gave me his Axe CP. His reasoning for donating was, "I'm not spending another dime on this damned thing. I'm sorry."

I asked, "Sorry for what?"

"Sorry for giving this to you," was his response.

So, this is an older Heli. He never had any luck with it. I've seen mixed reviews, but would like feedback from anyone with experience. Is it worth my time and effort to spend a little bit of money to get it flying or should I pluck it clean for parts? Is it something that is flyable by someone with the proper set of skills or is it a dog?

Thanks.

earthsciteach

Take your propaganda machine somewhere else. A single rotor just fine. Multirotors are nothing more than gross greed and contrived consumerism. The electronics industry is using you multirotor guys as suckers to keep them in business.

Wake up and smell the burning ESC! Mulitrotors are a big business conspiracy. I LOL at all of you.

PS-Bigfoot is real. Just because there's no proof, it doesn't mean anything. Eat more organic cheese. PEACE!

Colt45Flyer

I own a Axe 100 CP and I haven't yet gotten good enough to go 3d with it yet, but I can make it hover and fly forward, back, side to side farely well. When I did a maiden with this thing, I had no collective pitch experience and ended up buying three new tailbooms and 2 new swashplates. I so far have one tail left and 0 swashplates left. I think that i'm doing good so far since I can actually run down a battery without breaking it. It's touchy, but if you have patience, it's easy to get used too.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
One word: simulator.

Learn to fly these things on a sim, then get the thing going.

With HK helis so cheap it may be worth comparing repair costs between the two (because you will crash, trust me).

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
A friend of mine just finally retired his axe cp. It was an okay heli, but not one to learn on. You can't really get parts easily and they aren't the greatest to repair. They are a much older design. The first thing I'd do is replace all the servos. The biggest problem is the limited stock electronics. That combo rx/esc/tail esc/gyro unit stinks. If the electronics are okay I'd say give it a whirl. Don't make it your first heli attempt though. My friends tail went nuts and it died it's last death. We've had much better success with Blade and Align helis.

aiidanwings

I wouldn't put much into negative reviews of an entry level heli because entry level anythings seem to get the most vocal and negative reviews from entry level people. With anything consider the authors background and ideology.

Anyway, parts are reasonable and everywhere. The carbon fiber frame is a great upgrade.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Well I wouldn't consider myself a pro but not entry level either. I've built a few helis now and if it's intact or nearby then it's a good deal but if you have to put money into it I would go a different direction and turn the Axe into a static model. Like I said before, the motor driven tail rarely works well. If you're getting into a cp heli it's never a beginner's heli but I would gladly spend a little more and get a belt or torque tube driven tail. Let me say it again though, a free heli is a good heli if you don't have to dump a bunch of money into it. Get what you can out of it. If you crash it a few times and it's not for you then you're not out much. If it turns you into the next Alan Szabo Jr. then you can thank your buddy for the career move.

aiidanwings

Well I wouldn't consider myself a pro but not entry level either. I've built a few helis now and if it's intact or nearby then it's a good deal but if you have to put money into it I would go a different direction and turn the Axe into a static model. Like I said before, the motor driven tail rarely works well. If you're getting into a cp heli it's never a beginner's heli but I would gladly spend a little more and get a belt or torque tube driven tail. Let me say it again though, a free heli is a good heli if you don't have to dump a bunch of money into it. Get what you can out of it. If you crash it a few times and it's not for you then you're not out much. If it turns you into the next Alan Szabo Jr. then you can thank your buddy for the career move.

I'm sorry Ak Flyer. For some reason I was thinking of the MCPX, instead of the Axe CP. I have no experience with the Axe, so ignore what I posted earlier.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It's cool, no hurt feelers. :) You're right about the reviews though, you get a lot of bad first impressions that turn people off. It takes a while to weed through them.

earthsciteach

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. The copter still sits in the box. It just isn't interesting me in the least, at this point.

aiidanwings

Well. there are only 222 shopping days until Christmas! I'm sure there is someone in your life that needs a new hobby.