Helical or Skew Planar?

Lubis

Hi

Which one is better, the 5,8GHz helical or the skew planar antenna?
I have a cloverleaf on my quad and a skew planar on my goggles. Is it worth building a helical ground station and then connecting it to my goggles.

Which one have the best range and/or picture?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Which one is better, the 5,8GHz helical or the skew planar antenna?

You can't say better and worse for these. It's like comparing a hammer with a saw.

The skewplanar antenna is omnidirectional, it gives shorter range, but you get a strong signal all around the antenna.

The helical antenna is directional, it gives longer range, but in a limited "funnel". You have to aim the funnel towards your plane for the signal to be clearest.

Lubis

Ok.
Thanks, so it might be worth building one and switch between them depending on how I fly.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Typically helical antennas, which are essentially a circular polarised patch antenna, are used for long distance work. I doubt you'll be doing much long distance work with the quad! However if you are, you could use both a helical and skew planar antenna on a diversity equipped ground station. These pick the better signal of the two for the video feed. For typical quad applications though, you shouldn't need to use the additional unidirectional range that you can get from a helical antenna and a skew planar will be a better option.

Lubis

...you could use both a helical and skew planar antenna on a diversity equipped ground station. These pick the better signal of the two for the video feed...

Damn you... When I read it I knew instantly that I would love that setup. So now I will have to build one ;)

But as I understand this is more luxury and I will probably stick with my skew planar for the time beeing.

Thanks guys.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, sorry. Bruce from RC Model Reviews is meant to be doing a DIY cheap diversity system, but I'll probably have bought an Eagle Eyes station or some such by then...