Hello all! New here and getting back into the hobby

cslemke

Hi all! I have to say I am excited about Flite Test! I've been a modeler for decades and did RC way back in the day when my did and I would build a Guillows kit over the winter and fly it in the spring and summer... but glow engines got so pricey we fell out of the hobby.
BUT NOW with the new electric motors and foam building wow ! So I think you can consider me a noob. My wife and I recently moved into a new home and I'll have a whole workshop I can dedicate to my building projects! I look forward to chatting here, seeing everyone's projects and sharing my own.

My first question is on transmitters... is there a transmitter that can be linked to different aircraft? I'd like to invest in a nice transmitter that I could fly all my future projects from.

Thanks all!

cslemke

Welcome to the forums! :D And welcome back to the hobby!

The transmitter question is a common one - and we've got a pretty well curated thread on it that can help show you around a bunch of different transmitter brands and options

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/
Welcome to the forums! :D And welcome back to the hobby!

The transmitter question is a common one - and we've got a pretty well curated thread on it that can help show you around a bunch of different transmitter brands and options

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/

Thanks that will be extremely helpful!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Spektrum, period full stop.

the Dx6e is an excellent Tx for the price ($140 new) and will do everything you need it to do and can handle 250 diff aircraft, quads, sailplanes, or helo's. the only thing that would make it better is a re-chargable battery.

my $.02,

me :cool:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If you want a transmitter that will bind with most BNF (Bind and fly) planes, spektrum is definitely the way to go, but if you're going to be building most of your planes then the choice is up to you and you're budget.

Again, just my 2¢

Mode 1

Welcome. I too grew up in the nitro world as a kid and just got back into the hobby a few months ago.

I just went through the transmitter purchase cycle myself. As noted above, Spektrum is the obvious choice for many and I can't disagree with the reasoning (i have two on my shelf) However, I decided that I didn't want to be like all the other kids and bought a Frsky Taranis QX7. 16 Channels for $104. Receivers can be a bit less expensive as well. Spektrum transmitters, however, are far easier to program than Frsky.
The Jumper T8SG v2 Plus is also an interesting and unique transmitter option. There are many others out there as well. Options are good... Have fun shopping!

~ Dave

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had mine for 6 months now & never had any hint of any range issue. So far I’ve only used flysky Rx outdoors. I’ve had no problems binding with Spektrum indoor Rx, I just don’t have a full range Spectrum Rx. So I can’t speak to range with Spectrum

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The only con that I can think of is the software, Erx9. It takes a while to figure out. The good thing, with Er9x, the protocal can be programed to your model, that is when you change models the protocol also changes along with all your other settings.