Hello, and first model advice please!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Great show, and if you watch it after watching Talespin, you'll DEFINITELY see the comparisons. Roddy McDowall as Bon Chance Louie running the bar in "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and King Louie running the soda shop in Talespin; Wildcat's odd behavior yet being a whiz at repairs compared to Jeff MacKay's drunken haziness...The allusions are NOT subtle. :)

Moco

Ha!

In fairness I haven’t seen it in years. May have to change that ^_^

Anyway, I figured I’d have a play about and I found a pritt stick, so a thing happened....

The cat was unimpressed.

Attachments

• 184904EB-6CB8-4D2C-80A7-1B97F928A174.jpeg
    184904EB-6CB8-4D2C-80A7-1B97F928A174.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Hoomi

Master member
I never saw "Talespin" when it was on television, but I did manage to pick up a Funko Pop figurine of Baloo, in his Talespin character, from Target a few months back. He was on clearance, and I just couldn't pass him up.

Too bad he's a bit too big for the cockpit of the Simple Scout! :D

Arcfyre

Elite member
Simple Scout

Scratch build it

Any 6ch radio

I think that answers all your questions, lol. I figured you got a lot of advice/opinions from others so I'll just keep mine short and sweet.

poor boy 101

I have flown both the seaduck and the guinea pig. I like the pig more because it is easier to fly in my opinion( I know a lot of people that say different) but one of the pig’s pros for a beginner is that it not the most beautiful plane in the world and it is easier to fix with the extra nose. Probably the most under fated ft plane. It will grow with you. Just do it!

poor boy 101

I love my dx6e. Get a good radio. Don’t get a $50 dollar radio off of Bangood. Also even if it is not your main radio get a spectrum. That way you can fly e-flite. You can go frsky or whatever you would like but I recommend getting a dxe as a side. E-flite makes too many good beginner models or advanced models to pass up.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I love my dx6e. Get a good radio. Don’t get a $50 dollar radio off of Bangood. Also even if it is not your main radio get a spectrum. That way you can fly e-flite. You can go frsky or whatever you would like but I recommend getting a dxe as a side. E-flite makes too many good beginner models or advanced models to pass up.
I must have a special relationship with my local retailer as with the RTF models he actually buys back the spectrum Rx and I use FlySky so I actually get an additional discount, and no waiting for delivery or delivery costs.

If it really bugs you grab a radio where you can fat a spectrum RF module and then almost any plane can be supported.

By the way a number of FlySky OEM planes are becoming available so keep your eyes open to the future!

Have fun!

poor boy 101

Sorry just personal preference. I have a frsky x-lite that I use for quads for trips and I like it a lot. Just through experience I like spectrum better and if I have a expensive quad I use spectrum. I like it better because the user interface is easier to use in general than the other models. Another good option is jumper’s new transmitter. I have tried that one and I like it. And it is pretty cheap and will run almost anything.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just chiming in to say welcome to the family, Moco! You been following mayan's Journey and my *ahem* (mis) adventures? Oh you poor, poor soul! :LOL: The best thing about @mayan and I logging our personal journeys into RC flight has been the way this Forum Family has always been there with encouragement and advice. Even a simple "like" at the bottom of a post to help cheer us on can make a world of difference. They've never let either of us down. (y)

The thing I think I like the most is the contrast. Mayan's journey has been both maniac (MadMax Mayan) and methodical all at the same time. He moves from obstacle to obstacle, from one plane to another, like a metronome - that's had WAY too many energy drinks! :p

My journey has been both long and chaotic, with an ultimately glorious (in my opinion) first ever maiden flight. Both our journeys continue and we became fast friends through the wonder of this forum. Whether you want to get crazy or learn by the numbers, you've come to the right place. Welcome. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Ha!

In fairness I haven’t seen it in years. May have to change that ^_^

Anyway, I figured I’d have a play about and I found a pritt stick, so a thing happened....

The cat was unimpressed.
Is that the TT I see there? Great choice in my opinion for a first plane.

As for Tx I think you’ve just witnessed the difference between ppl, it’s really a matter of preference and budget. What I can add is that the hobby can get expensive if you fall madly in love with it so just think twice where you want to spend your money. I personally prefer to have an extra motor or servo to save my butt when I have a bad crash instead of spending loads of money for a Tx that will work just as well as a decent cheaper one.

As for what @buzzbomb said both our journeys never ended and to be honest I think will never end. If they help others I am happy and sure buzzbomb is too.

BTW @buzzbomb you touched me. You made me blush :).

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
As for Tx I think you’ve just witnessed the difference between ppl, it’s really a matter of preference and budget. What I can add is that the hobby can get expensive if you fall madly in love with it so just think twice where you want to spend your money. I personally prefer to have an extra motor or servo to save my butt when I have a bad crash instead of spending loads of money for a Tx that will work just as well as a decent cheaper one.

And here is what I mean by opinions. :) LOL We all have our brand loyalty, but I would DEFINITELY tell you to do your research first before spending your money on a transmitter. Cheap transmitters lack features like diversity and voices that tell you how much time you have left (this is my personal favorite; I can't tell you how many times I've been at the flight line flying and I'll hear a beep from someone's radio, only to think it's mine. Or, I have to look down at the radio to see how much time I have left on the timer...The audio voice announcing how much time I have left is a godsend to me!), and if those are features that you simply MUST have, you may want to spend a little more for them. This is why I tell people that the absolute cheapest price isn't always the best decision, as it may not fit your specific needs. :)

Moco

Right, well sorry it’s been a little while.

Hobbywing stuff is still waiting to arrive, but in the meantime I figure that’s why they included the chuck glider nose in the TT plans right?

So armed with some A2 foamboard I have produced my very first plane.
65DD03F8-CD5F-491A-862B-D593437AF9DB.jpeg

DBD6F3EE-F2D7-45FF-9058-46C88B69B76C.jpeg

C0ED589B-F935-4812-86E4-0B1495AAA26A.jpeg

0E68AF57-0F17-439C-B66B-116B1759FBF5.jpeg

C92E4CB0-1F26-4813-AD72-DDB5377BED2A.jpeg

B4AC5BE4-FE22-45D0-92D6-72A145BC79C5.jpeg

In the process I have discovered:
1. Never cut toward yourself with a brand new blade
2. Blood wiped off foamboard ;)
3. I don’t have any packing tape left (duck tape as an overengineering substitute)
4. I can do a reasonable bevel cut.... but then I discovered I needed it at 30* not 45* and correcting it isn’t as easy :D
5. It’s really easy to over-score (why didn’t I listen and run the blade over some concrete?)
6. Pritt stick works well for tacking the plans but should be peeled back off structural parts (like the wing spar) before gluing - otherwise the plans stick but the foamboard doesn’t....
7. Cutting and scoring is better over three passes than one- but each pass should be one fluid motion or the foam wants to bunch up and tear not be sliced.

Above all though I am amazed, and impressed with myself. Despite dodgy crafting skills it came out square and looks like a plane.

8A36C666-CB4D-4010-A6EF-B1E2417FDD73.jpeg

Now to figure out what the C of G should be and go throw it tomorrow!

Moco

Well, I need to figure out something stickier than Alloy wheel balancing weights to sort out the nose weight: but it works as a chuck glider!

I am really happy. Just spent about an hour throwing it, walking and fetching it and throwing it again. It’s so cool to see it float to the ground :)

Now just waiting for electrics :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm glad it flew for you! You scratch built a plane and then made it fly! That's gotta feel good! :)

Next one you do, try to clean more of the foam off the paper for the A and B folds. The Mini's especially are very particular about 90 degrees being ninety degrees and parallel being parallel. Carefully and completely cleaning the foam off the paper makes it much easier to obtain as close to 90 degrees on the fold as possible.

Keep it up @Moco! You're doing good! :)

Jimun

Elite member
Right, well sorry it’s been a little while.

Hobbywing stuff is still waiting to arrive, but in the meantime I figure that’s why they included the chuck glider nose in the TT plans right?

So armed with some A2 foamboard I have produced my very first plane.
View attachment 130068
View attachment 130069
View attachment 130072
View attachment 130073
View attachment 130070
View attachment 130071

In the process I have discovered:
1. Never cut toward yourself with a brand new blade
2. Blood wiped off foamboard ;)
3. I don’t have any packing tape left (duck tape as an overengineering substitute)
4. I can do a reasonable bevel cut.... but then I discovered I needed it at 30* not 45* and correcting it isn’t as easy :D
5. It’s really easy to over-score (why didn’t I listen and run the blade over some concrete?)
6. Pritt stick works well for tacking the plans but should be peeled back off structural parts (like the wing spar) before gluing - otherwise the plans stick but the foamboard doesn’t....
7. Cutting and scoring is better over three passes than one- but each pass should be one fluid motion or the foam wants to bunch up and tear not be sliced.

Above all though I am amazed, and impressed with myself. Despite dodgy crafting skills it came out square and looks like a plane.

View attachment 130067
Now to figure out what the C of G should be and go throw it tomorrow!
Looking good and looking forward to seeing your maiden flight.

mayan

Legendary member
@Moco you did it, great job! You got a few tips already I’ll just add another one re-enforce the holes of the BBQ sticks with something like this will make it last longer.
B788B825-D199-423F-90C9-0E74A8FACC6B.jpeg

Also it’s great that you’ve made a list of things to watch out for next time that shows that you are learning and understanding :).

Keep up the excellent work!