Hello and Thank You Flite Test!!

Dashthemad

Hello all!! Just getting my toes wet in the rc world. Ive had three drones so far, and sincerely wish I had known of you wonderful people at flite test, and on this forum before I took to the skies. I may have been able to save the first two. The third was a non-starter, quite literally, as it seems someone had scavenged parts from the receiver, thus rendering it and my drone inoperable.
I was about to give up after that. My fiance had seen the problem, however, and after reaching out to the woman who sold it to us, and got another drone from her, the one im currently learning on now (Sharper Image DX-5 wifi streaming drone).
But I decided to research the hobby a bit more before ruining all this time and effort my beautiful wife-to-be had invested into my happiness. So, to youtube I went. I hopped on some channels, not sure exactly what I was looking for, when I found the guys at Flite Test. I have since binged on the content, soaking in all the tech and the knowledge ( far more valuable than my weight in gold, imo). let me finally get to the point of this long-winded rabbit hole. THANK YOU!! From the sincerest part of my heart , Flite Test, thank you! I have a hope i never had before and my fiance, heck, the whole house now has a spark that hopefully grows into a passion that I immediately felt when I got my drone to hover, all by my lonesome! My fiance said "your inner kid is showing," but I didnt care. Ive since been able to minimize my crashes to a few isolated incidents per flight in my home, as I'm pacing myself. One of my favorite episodes is the first tutorial on flying rc planes. The way the two joshes bantered helped me relax, and made it easier to process the info, of which there was a lot. Though I'm lightyears from flying rc planes, I was able to incorporate some concepts into my own practice. I know this has been a lengthy intro thread, but I had to give praise n positive vibes where they were due. Thank you guys. I hope to fly with you all someday!

Sincerely,
RC's newest family member, aka Dash.

P.S. - do you think you fellas could possibly do an episode that incorporates piloting basics for microdrones that could help newbs, like my fiance and I? She had mentioned wanting to learn, and I figured I could pass the knowledge on as I learn it. I saw the P.I.G. helicopter episode. Maybe something tuned to that? Thanks again and I hope to chat everyone up to get some good tips. This newb can use all the help he can get!

Dashthemad

Awesome. I have four kids myself. Youngest is 3, so shes really wary of the buzzing, but even she's getting to tolerate it. All of em love the flips. I was so excited to see them excited. I was hoping I wouldnt be the only one who wanted to learn to fly lol. Always fly with a buddy right?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I joined a local RC model club so there's always someone around to get advice and help from. My quads I often fly alone, getting bitten by FPV in them!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Welcome to the family Dash!

Don't be afraid to reach out for help here...
While my only experience with quads is a recently purchased Inductrix Switch air and my old DJI Phantom 2+ there are MANY members who are quite brilliant (both building and flying) who are more than willing to help!

basslord1124

Master member
Welcome Dash! A lot of the same principles that apply to planes also apply to drones. Especially in terms of controls. I have a little bit of experience with drones. One of the toughest things IMO, is coordinating both left and right sticks to make your turns.

I would imagine you may have seen it, but I know FT did release videos on the basics of flying a drone/quadcopter.

Headbang

Master member
Good to have you here! As mentioned, lots of us fly quads. Those who do are more then helpful! If you do go looking for a club, find one that is catering to quads. Unfortunately many clubs can be a bit cold to quad guys, but there are ones out there that even have a separate area just for quads. Be that you are flying micros, check out the local parks, watch for others flying. Quad guys can be elusive do to the bad press.

Dashthemad

Thanks for the positive vibes all! Yes storm, ive thought about it. In fact the other night my 4-yr-old son and I were watching the episode where they were making paper airplanes fly with motors! Sooo jealous!!! I brike my leg when I was twelve and was given a book with nothing BUT paper airplane designs. The nurses at the hospital hated picling up my flyers. Imagine what chaos a twelve-yr-old me could have caused with those motors. He likes flight. Loves watching the c-130s tha air national guard flies around here. I'm actually not too far from flite test headquarters lol. Im in Southeast WV. And let me just say... Sooo jealous of their airfield!!! I live in a bowl buffeted by wind.

Dashthemad

Well... You asked for it... Ok, so question one. Has there been a video yet on how to do things like link fpv cams? Ive no idea how to do things like solder or anything electronic. I truly would LOVE to get my hands on some smaller power packs and foam board, and see if any of thos paper airplane designs would actually work. Second question.. Are there any in flight exercises that specifiicaly help traid on giving yaw without compromising throttle? Thats my biggest obstacle right now. As I hover, I'm trying to rotate, and in doing so im working on a self-set goal: if I can get my quad to hover, and keep it there for the duration of the battery, it'll be a good step in the right direction in terms of gaining and keeping control. Again, I have children, and right now circumstances require I fly around kids. No true acrobatics other than the stunt button, but thats ok! Its a Baby step marathon right? I have kind of a do not cross area in the house while the quad is on , and the kids enjoy the watching lol

IcedStorm777

Well... You asked for it... Ok, so question one. Has there been a video yet on how to do things like link fpv cams? Ive no idea how to do things like solder or anything electronic. I truly would LOVE to get my hands on some smaller power packs and foam board, and see if any of thos paper airplane designs would actually work. Second question.. Are there any in flight exercises that specifiicaly help traid on giving yaw without compromising throttle? Thats my biggest obstacle right now. As I hover, I'm trying to rotate, and in doing so im working on a self-set goal: if I can get my quad to hover, and keep it there for the duration of the battery, it'll be a good step in the right direction in terms of gaining and keeping control. Again, I have children, and right now circumstances require I fly around kids. No true acrobatics other than the stunt button, but thats ok! Its a Baby step marathon right? I have kind of a do not cross area in the house while the quad is on , and the kids enjoy the watching lol
I use this FPV cam:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5D8SPZ/?tag=lstir-20
and just use a simple super cheap 1s battery and USB charger
As far as FPV stuff this vid helps:
Soldering you just need to practice with small wires and bullet connecters until you are decent. You don't have to be perfect to solder well. If you want to get into fixed wing i reccomend the tiny trainer. What transmitter do you have? As far as the second question it changes per drone. I would reccomend setting missions for yourself. For example, ok fly around the lamp, land on the table, take off, and land at your feet. Stuff like that. You will crash but crashing is learning.

Attachments

• 1555606135386.png
    1555606135386.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

Dashthemad

Lol its funny you linked that video... I was telling my better half about the plans as far as how far I wanna push this hobby, and whwn I mentione fpv her eyes lit up and later I looked over her shoulder and SHE was watching that EXACT vid lol. I havent viewed yet as I'm still worried about keeping it from clinging to the ceiling at all, a problem that being outdoors will fix, I know, but baby steps...

As far as the transmitter, sadly, im only using what they come with. All this stuff seems so 'reachable' though that i was thinking long term. Again, i know nothing more right now than how to keep it level-ish, but at first take-off it still wants to shoot back and left. Im trying to avoid trimming it, as i prefer to be able to correct manually. In this stage of the process, the more I get to work on my muscle memory, the better. I was also thinking of getting those stick restrictors to keep me from yanking. Im a gamer, so instinct tells me to pull hard one way or another. I'm also still getting used to the left stick NOT controlling fwd./bkwd. And thats a challenge in itself lol. Thanks for the link though and the reminder of how quick this community is to help the newcomers!

basslord1124

Master member
As for yaw and throttle, all I can say is it will just take practice. I'm kinda doubting that your drone's transmitter/controller has sensitivity adjustments on the sticks. Basically to make the sticks real sensitive or tight. If it were tighter it may help in terms of accidentally bumping throttle while turning. If it had that, that would ideal. But if it doesn't, you are just at the mercy to get the feel for your transmitter and it's sensitivity. Which really is not a bad thing at all. It'll teach you to have good response on the most sensitive of transmitters.

I'd encourage too maybe getting some extra batteries if you are able to. That way you can pop another in when one dies. Keep the teaching going a little bit instead of waiting a while between charges.

Dashthemad

Unfortunately the battery is internal, so I have to wait... With this one. My better half got bitten with the bug yesterday, when I let her try it. She loves learning, and so do the kids, so she went for it. We are now expecting a shipment of 4 LRP mini quads, courtesy of the Flite Test's Store! I'm sure it wont be the last purchase either. I know they're also internal, hence getting four. Now her and I both have one and a back-up to get in the air when the other's battery dies. Once again, THANK YOU Flite Test. Through YOUR love of this hobby and the fellowship it brings, my family is one step closer to flyong as a family. I'd LOVE one day to do sone quad formations and acrobatics. My hero's right now are Ian, TJ , and Alex. If I could win the lottery, instead of money, I'd want one day with these guys to just let me watch em race, Chase, and teach me. I think once I learn quads I'll be ready for my first rc plane. Deep breath.. Dont get too far ahead... I think I'm in love with this hobby friends...

IcedStorm777

Unfortunately the battery is internal, so I have to wait... With this one. My better half got bitten with the bug yesterday, when I let her try it. She loves learning, and so do the kids, so she went for it. We are now expecting a shipment of 4 LRP mini quads, courtesy of the Flite Test's Store! I'm sure it wont be the last purchase either. I know they're also internal, hence getting four. Now her and I both have one and a back-up to get in the air when the other's battery dies. Once again, THANK YOU Flite Test. Through YOUR love of this hobby and the fellowship it brings, my family is one step closer to flyong as a family. I'd LOVE one day to do sone quad formations and acrobatics. My hero's right now are Ian, TJ , and Alex. If I could win the lottery, instead of money, I'd want one day with these guys to just let me watch em race, Chase, and teach me. I think once I learn quads I'll be ready for my first rc plane. Deep breath.. Dont get too far ahead... I think I'm in love with this hobby friends...
Also if you can make it, go to Flitefest. You will learn soooo much have soooo much fun, great for the whole family, and you will meet everyone. BUT expect to by stuff at FF!!