Hello and Thank You Flite Test!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Dashthemad Back in the day, FT did Vlogs, and they were just awesome, let's record stuff episodes. I randomly came across this one again while watching the build video for the DR1. Not only does it show the DR1 in early design stage, it then breaks into the guys ripping a quad around the trees. It was the videos like this one that got me into this. Enjoy. :)

Dashthemad

And fyi. WW1 WW2 planes are my absolute favorite planes. My first first-person pc game i EVER played was Red Baron. Best flight simulator game of the time (back in the late 90s early 2000s. I was in high school when I first played). I was able to customize plane paint schemes. I always decorated mine exactly like the red baron's. Enemy aces would from time to time challenge you to flight duels. I think when I venture forward into rc planes, thats where I'm going. Other than the f-14 tomcat or the p-51d, or the corsair warbird, the red barons plane was my favorite to fly (fokker dr1 driedecker). Those Will have to be mine. Who knows? Maybe by the time I get to those, I can attempt to scratch-build a tomcat, as no current design exists (that I know of but take that with a grain a salt. As stated several times before, I'm still really wet behind the ears. Baby steps and goals!!!!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Nah. Baby steps, yes. But big goals. My goal is to fly crazier than @Wildthing and do it with more style. Then maybe actually land the plane successfully. :cool: I know someone who has only been in this hobby for a maybe a month and half. He's built a dozen planes, and is now designing his own.

Then you've got @mayan He crashed and flew and crashed and flew, but he pushed through the learning curve and not only designed the SpitTT, he made a mini version of the FT Edge 540 and is currently trying to mash an Edge 540 with a darn Tiny Trainer!

Baby steps for sure, but once you learn to walk, running is the desire to do so! :D You're in good company. You've come to the right place. Baby steps first, and the running will soon follow. ;) Whether it's with quads, or planes or designing or wanting to fly better. There is always something better beyond that hill that you just have to reach. The challenge and the fun, is getting over the hill! :)

Last edited:

Dashthemad

The thing is, I figured taking it slow with drones was a great and more affordable way to get the proverbial 'toe in the door' I also tinkered with the idea of cars, or boats as well ( ex-Navy, shout out to all vets here on the forums. Thank you!). But planes are my true love. Originally I was going air force before life happened. I truly wanna fly planes. In fact I just watched episode on thstepsgEZ and I plan on getting one for all of the family. They can be converted to rc easily enough and with knowing how I built it, it may help me diagnose issues or fly better in general. It will also be a good segue into other rc planes, like the dr1, the mustang, and corsair. I'm sure im missing a couple steps in between those, but I also like to challenge myself. The bug has bitten me, but its the money putting the brakes on things right now. The will is definitely there lol

Dashthemad

Hey guys. Sorry I've been silent. It's been a rough month. Both my fiance and I lost our jobs. We've been trying everything to recover but its been difficult. So I decided to write out my struggle, here on this forum, because, without even asking, you all took me in, no questions asked. You were willing to be encouragement to a stranger, and it helped. But before I get into specifics, let me at least put sone good in with the bad. Ive finally managed to keep my microdrone at a hover for about 80% of the flight, and I interpret that as my muscle memory is forming. So that's good I suppose. My kids are now anxious for my flights. They've caught the bug. When I get the quad out they all sit down like theyre about to watch a movie! Its crazy! But i love it! All I can hope for is for them to keep this steam up.
The thing is, I'm using rc as a form of rehabilitation, in a way. I've been trying to quit smoking marijuana. I initially started because I thought it was my only way of coping with anxieties that seemingly affect me more than most. Im sure everyone with anxiety problems say the same thing as I, so I'll not waste time in trying to make excuses. The fact is, not only is it illegal, but it's expensive. RC is expensive too, but its not a 'recurring expense'. With weed, I was spending close to 200 dollars a month just to feed my 'beast' . that 200 dollars could have been used to better the family, not just myself. When I came across this forum, and flite test as a whole, i was in a bad place. Money was nonexistent, and yet my habit was fed. It wasnt right. So i made a change. But shortly after I decided to give it up and get a better 'obsession', my fiance got fired. In losing her income we lost just about all of our ability to maintain our home.
And then I lost my job. I just quit because I was tired of fast food BS and tired of being there. But it was selfish. Because I was selfish and made bad choices, any chance we had of not just surviving, but thriving, was lost. And now I feel worse than ever. I had a dream of this year somehow finding a way to get to flite test and allowing this new life to help me quit my habit, but now that allotted money, for both starter planes for us and travel/expenses? Gone. We jave rent to pay and bills to settle. Maybe i Just feel hopeless right now, but I feel the pressure. Today, I've cried 3 times, and just feel so lost. I know wallowing solves nothing, but it felt good to let it out. Anyways, I'm not sure if I made the right call by putting this out there, but I cant really talk to anyone else who hasn't already heard this. I'm sorry if this seemed inappropriate, but I had to throw out a lifeline before I drowned. Thanks for listening all. keep flying, and I'll keep trying.

-Dash

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm no expert in either multi copter or fixed wing, but I can let you know what the two biggest things that helped me fly in those areas were. For multi copter, making my second quad one without altitude hold made me a much better pilot. Having to work the altitude manually was challenging at first, but after a couple flights, I got used to it and could maneuver a lot more nimbly than with an altitude hold quad. Also, if you ever intend to fly fixed wing, the only thing multi-rotor that will even begin to give you a feel for fixed wing would be one without altitude hold. As far as flying fixed wing, the tool that helped me most was a simulator. There are a few free sims for desktop and phone, and they really give you a feel for the physics of flying a fixed wing plane and different types of planes and control setups. Multiflight for desktop is free and downloads quick, that's the one I used. Hope this helps!

Also, I have similar struggles to cope with in life in some ways and was in a very negative place when I first joined as well. You won't find a more helpful, active, encouraging, and positive community for RC related stuff.

IcedStorm777

Hey guys. Sorry I've been silent. It's been a rough month. Both my fiance and I lost our jobs. We've been trying everything to recover but its been difficult. So I decided to write out my struggle, here on this forum, because, without even asking, you all took me in, no questions asked. You were willing to be encouragement to a stranger, and it helped. But before I get into specifics, let me at least put sone good in with the bad. Ive finally managed to keep my microdrone at a hover for about 80% of the flight, and I interpret that as my muscle memory is forming. So that's good I suppose. My kids are now anxious for my flights. They've caught the bug. When I get the quad out they all sit down like theyre about to watch a movie! Its crazy! But i love it! All I can hope for is for them to keep this steam up.
The thing is, I'm using rc as a form of rehabilitation, in a way. I've been trying to quit smoking marijuana. I initially started because I thought it was my only way of coping with anxieties that seemingly affect me more than most. Im sure everyone with anxiety problems say the same thing as I, so I'll not waste time in trying to make excuses. The fact is, not only is it illegal, but it's expensive. RC is expensive too, but its not a 'recurring expense'. With weed, I was spending close to 200 dollars a month just to feed my 'beast' . that 200 dollars could have been used to better the family, not just myself. When I came across this forum, and flite test as a whole, i was in a bad place. Money was nonexistent, and yet my habit was fed. It wasnt right. So i made a change. But shortly after I decided to give it up and get a better 'obsession', my fiance got fired. In losing her income we lost just about all of our ability to maintain our home.
And then I lost my job. I just quit because I was tired of fast food BS and tired of being there. But it was selfish. Because I was selfish and made bad choices, any chance we had of not just surviving, but thriving, was lost. And now I feel worse than ever. I had a dream of this year somehow finding a way to get to flite test and allowing this new life to help me quit my habit, but now that allotted money, for both starter planes for us and travel/expenses? Gone. We jave rent to pay and bills to settle. Maybe i Just feel hopeless right now, but I feel the pressure. Today, I've cried 3 times, and just feel so lost. I know wallowing solves nothing, but it felt good to let it out. Anyways, I'm not sure if I made the right call by putting this out there, but I cant really talk to anyone else who hasn't already heard this. I'm sorry if this seemed inappropriate, but I had to throw out a lifeline before I drowned. Thanks for listening all. keep flying, and I'll keep trying.

-Dash

Well let me start off by saying that i will be praying for you and your family. All i can help you with there is to say that the best you can do is pick yourself up and try and get a job. Thank of things that make you passionate and do it for that. Your family, your planes, etc. Please always feel free to talk to us and ask any questions you need. Life related or airplane related. Good luck!

Dashthemad

It does help vimana, thank you. I was thinking altitude control could help me nail the basics, like flying in a circle and such, but it does make sense to engage all the axes to get the best training possible. It would be easy to forget about altitude control if I always rely upon it. Plus altitude controlled quads n such are more expensive, id assume.

Dashthemad

Well let me start off by saying that i will be praying for you and your family. All i can help you with there is to say that the best you can do is pick yourself up and try and get a job. Thank of things that make you passionate and do it for that. Your family, your planes, etc. Please always feel free to talk to us and ask any questions you need. Life related or airplane related. Good luck!

Thank you storm for being encouraging. It does bring a bit of peace. And thank you for the prayers, and the good vibes in general. It's hard getting up after a stumble like this. The logical part of me is acting as a broken record ; "you dont need this stuff." "You're fine." "You are NOT wasting away."... Ive been teling myself that the whole time. Sometimes I wish I could shut it up. But I need to hear it. I DONT need this stuff. And my family and goals ARE more important. It getting the whiny bratty side of me to shut up. That's the challenge, I think.

Dashthemad

Ok, so I need to put my mind off this dour stuff for a second. If I missed this thread please tell me, but in searching I saw no threads about 'first love' in your flight hobby. If there ISN'T a thread on this, let me just share my earliest memory of something flight-related. Its in fact the Furst time I realized I was in love with the concept of flight.

As I said before I'm ex Navy. So is my dad. He served 13 years in the Navy, stating the rank of petty officer 1st class before he was injured and discharged. While he was in we were stationed at Norfolk. He was attatched the the Roosevelt strike group aboard the USS Donald B Beary, a frigate. One day I was outside playing and I heard a loud scream in the air and turned around just in time to see two F/A 18s flying in my 5-year-old mind spitting distance, but it may have been 500-1000 feet. And they were booking it! They flew around for at least 30 minutes or so, and then went away, and i remember running into my house, crying to my mon and dad because "they went away," and "I scared them off!" I was so grief-stricken over them going away, because what I saw in my mind was probably the most beautiful thing! They were in such rhythm. I swore a couple times they were gonna crash. The next day, my mom and dad took me to an airshow and I got to see those same F-18s flying there. It turns out i was watching the Blue Angels practice their routine the day before, and had basically a front row seat! And thats when my parents discovered my love for flight, I think even before I did!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Sorry to hear of your troubles dash, I do not know if you are religious or not, but you and your family are in our prayers.

As I’m a little longer in tooth and grayer on top, let me tell you I have been in some pretty low places in my life as well (unfortunately usually self inflicted)... but, looking back i’ve Learned that when you make great changes in your life, you usually have to tear down the old first. Sort of urban renewal.

The fact you recognize your mistakes and are thinking more of your family and putting them first is a true sign of maturity (becoming a “man”) and deserves respect.

Hang tough, remember what is “truly” important, tell your family how much you care and listen to that little voice inside and finally have faith. It will get better!

Thoughts and prayers

Dashthemad

Thank you for your prayers and kind words kilroy. The fact is, it's easy to fall in a rut when you allow doubt to fill you up. Instead, ive stayed up all night, thinking, meditating, watching flite test vids, and virtually everything I could to not let that doubt settle inside. I KNOW I can do this. People do it every day, and kudos to them. It's no easy task. But I taught myself to do it, and I can teach myself not to. I'm currently trying my hand at some flight sim apps. If I cant afford a real drone, at least I can practice. Though I'm finding difficulties in trying to fly drones and planes on a six inch screen lol. But it beats wallowing any day...

basslord1124

Master member
My thoughts and prayers are with you as well Dash. Things will get better, just have faith and don't give up. If you have done fast food for a while I can totally understand it. I kinda swore I would never work fast food and I've stuck to it. Unless you want to count the 3 days I worked at Little Ceasars. Definitely not my thing and I was very young at the time. Ended up working for a grocery store shortly after.

I'm a big believer in most everything Mike Rowe says (Dirty Jobs guy). He's a big one advocating trade school/hard labor work over college degree type of stuff. Might check out something like that...electrical, HVAC, etc. Sometimes I wish I had done that. I like some good manual labor.

Dashthemad

I would LOVE to go back to school. I gripe at my kids all the time about the importance of doing well now in order to have an advantage when it comes to earning the life they want later. Unfortunately I may not have that door open anymore. Ive burned all my fafsa bridges trying just that. I intended to finish the work I started while I was in service, an associate's in computer tech, but life happened lol. I'm not even sure I COULD try again, but absolutely would if given the chance. I'd get a bachelor's in clown suit washing if it meant giving my family better than renting apartments with no yard :(

As for trade school and hard labor, again, if it meant giving them a better life, then absolutely to that as well. The problem is my particular area has very few if those opportunities right now. I don't drive (by choice. I am an absolute wreck of nerves behind the wheel. Too many bad experiences lol) so I'm limited to my walking distance as there are no buses in the county, let alone my one-light town. Ive been on it though, trying to find something. And I will. Just a matter of will. I refuse to accept that this is all there is for my family and I. They deserve a far better life than what theyve had thus far. Their childhoods are being wasted stuck inside because were just too close to the main road to let them play freely. They will get better. That much I guarantee.

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
Hey there. I respect the effort to better your self. Been there! I have lost the battle at times and won at times. This hobby does allow one to obsess over it. That helps. Every day is a new day. 1 foot at a time, keep moving, every day. I also am a little grey in the beard, I would not say wiser tho, just more hard knocks behind me then some. Only thing I have learned for sure is every day you wake up and make the decision to get out of bed, then make a decision to get moving, then the next decision and the next. Not one day at a time, but one moment at a time. Make enough right decisions and things start to work out in life.

This hobby and the people in it have helped me through major family illnesses, deaths, personal self destructive tendencies, and general stupidity over the last 35 years.