Hello Everyone!

analog56x

Ive been watching FT episodes like they're going out of style, and figured that i should join the forum to learn, and eventually contribute to!

I got my first RC plane (super cub) about a month and a half ago, and it has had more than its fair share of beatdowns... ive never flown, or been interested in flying before... been into nitro 1/8th scale trucks for a while, and saw this plane in the classifieds section of my local RC forum... i figured id give it a shot, and from the first time i took off, i was HOOKED! it was a whole new experience, nothing like ive ever tried before... i crashed it a lot trying to bring it back to me, but eventually learned, and had it airborne for around 1minute 27seconds haha, then i found a tree... ever since then, its been downhill for this plane... i snapped the gearbox in half, and ripped the firewall half out... so i decided to try and fit a bigger motor on the plane, and see what happens... well, i ended up cooking the built-in ESC... so i bought a external ESC, and it ran fine for about 15 minutes, then the whole throttle channel went down... no more flying :(
IMG_3808.jpg

the day i got it

IMG_3811.jpg

the day after i got it

my 2nd bad crash snapped the wing in 3 places, and broke the tail off... my 3rd really bad crash smashed in the nose and destroyed the firewall and gearbox.
ive since replaced the fuse and wing, added ailerons to the wing, done a bunch of beefy mods to strengthen the super cub, and have flown it once, and landed it without doing any damage! then the throttle channel on the stock RX ate it, and would stay on full throttle, or wouldnt work at all...

i found FT on youtube about 2 weeks ago, and got hooked instantly! i think my first FT video was a challenge video. i heard about HobbyKing from you guys, and decided to check it out, and WOW! really good deals on everything! so i ordered a whole bunch of stuff to build my super cub back to fly-able, but my motto is 'if i break it, upgrade it'. so i went with a brushless 480 turnigy, a 3s 2200mAh lipo, and a ESC to match, as well as some orangeRX's! need to order a better TX, but that will be in a bit... i just want to fly again...

im thinking about doing some of these scratch builds you guys do, and when i learn more about aerodynamics, and all that important flight stuff, ill be making a plane of my very own :D i have the perfect idea of what i want to model it after too!

so, thats all about my RC plane, but in my spare time, i fabricate and build 1:1 offroad trucks, and stuff like that :D

ive got a 1994 Toyota 4Runner that i built from the frame-up. hand built almost every part on it. its definitely one of my main hobbies! solid axle swapped it, lifted it ~12" total. i run 38" tires in the summer, and 33" tires in the winter. she's a real nasty beast!
463013_10150967687990379_614330378_12220668_1068160687_o.jpg

PIC_0030.jpg

then i have a 2001 dodge ram 1ton dually with a cummins in it. i bought it not-running, and did a bunch of work to it, and now she's running awesome! building 5" exhaust for her, gunna be running dual stacks, and all that good stuff. just need to build a flatdeck for it, and get an aftermarket fuel system, then she'll be roadworthy :D
IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

I have a youtube channel, and i try to make a video a day, but lately, ive been doing around 3-4 a week... i do lots of how-to's to help people with their vehicles. i figure that if i can show someone how to do something on their own, instead of taking it to a shop to fix it, and charging them a lot to do it, then im doing something productive with my time :D

my youtube channel is: http://youtube.com/analog56x if you like what you see, feel free to subscribe :)

anyways, enough about that stuff haha, i cannot wait to really tear into these forums, and learn a LOT about flight! i look forward to making some friends too :D

cheers!
Steve

earthsciteach

Welcome to the flitetest forums, Steve! Your learning curve of flying RC looks about right. You picked one of the best airplanes to start out with. The HZ SC was my first plane and still one of my favs. I still manage to crash it pretty good every now and then. Keeps coming back for more!

You would be my 16 year old son's idol. He's convinced he needs a big 4x4. That 4 Runner is definitely a beast! But, it has nothing on my 1993 Accord that's my daily driver!

analog56x

Welcome to the flitetest forums, Steve! Your learning curve of flying RC looks about right. You picked one of the best airplanes to start out with. The HZ SC was my first plane and still one of my favs. I still manage to crash it pretty good every now and then. Keeps coming back for more!

You would be my 16 year old son's idol. He's convinced he needs a big 4x4. That 4 Runner is definitely a beast! But, it has nothing on my 1993 Accord that's my daily driver!

Thank you :) ive heard about you from one of their challenge videos!

i absolutely love this super cub! but in stock form, they are just too slow imo, thats why im upgrading :) i love the platform, i love how easy they are to fix, i love how completely customizable they are! definitely a tough plane! my last flight where i landed it, wasnt a gentle landing, but i didnt even bend the landing gear! i cant wait to get out and fly some more. after watching all the flite tip videos, i have some stuff i want to try!

i have a small car too, but i didnt mention it because i havent done anything to it *yet* haha! this winter, im looking at stuffing the turbo diesel engine that was in that VW i ran over, into my 1998 Toyota Corolla! my corolla burns so much oil, its ridiculous! drive 60 miles, top it up with around 1-2 qt of oil... its cause the engine was replaced, and it was purchased from a junk yard... it wont be an easy swap; stuffing a volkswagen engine into a corolla... but im up for it! should get around 45-50mpg and have twice the power of the engine thats in there now :D (i did a bunch of modifications to the turbo diesel! planning on a compound turbo setup, if i can fit the 2nd turbo, as well!)

i love my offroad beasts! if you see in the first picture of my super cub, behind the plane is a picture of my first ever extreme 4x4. it was a 1985 toyota pickup, solid axle. i rebuilt that truck too! that one wasnt as tall, but MAN could it flex! i could pick up the front left tire, and get it about 3ft in the air before any other tire would lift off the ground :D then one day, driving home, i turned a corner, and heard something crunch... the truck handled very weird after that... i limped it home, and discovered that i almost lost a leaf spring pack! the frame had rotted out from the inside, and started ripping apart where the leaf spring hanger was attached... i made a repair to it, but started looking for something else to build, and thats when i found the 4runner! i used all the good parts off my 85 pickup to build the 4runner, and fabricated whatever else i needed :D

thank you for the warm welcome!
Steve