Hello FliteTest People!

ibanman555

I am from Upstate NY and I have within the last few weeks decided that I would like to try my hand at flying RC planes once again. The last time I attempted I was very young with my father. I've picked up a Dx8e for a controller with the new RF9 software and looking forward to flying again soon!

Last edited:

messyhead

Hey, welcome to the forums. I started flying last year. I'd never done it before, but used to go to the local model flying club field and watch with envy.

I've built a couple of planes, but not had a lot of flying so far.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome!

I think you'll find most of us here a friendly lot, willing to help out as much as we can. We have all been in the same position as you have at some point, so don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll get plenty of advice, and plenty of opinions on what to build, what transmitters/batteries/servos/ESCs to buy, where to fly, etc. I'll be the first to tell you that they're all wrong and my answers are the ONLY right ones. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:LOL

Seriously, though, we've all got a wealth of information, and will try and help out as best we can where we can. What I would say is the best advice right now since you're starting out is to fly smart, fly safe, and if you can find a club flying field, start there. Many of those guys flying are willing to help you learn, can most likely buddy box with you to help get you in the air and keep from crashing, and will have tips and tricks like we might here. Plus, a lot of the time, they'll have setups that they can show you or share with you in person, which can go a long way to learning. :)

ibanman555

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will surely frequent the forums with questions, primarily about building planes. This is something I spent time doing with my father in my youth, and very little flying.

My hope is that I can start with a nice trainer plane (currently considering a Timber X or Carbon Cub S) and as my confidence builds, I would really love to get back into the detailed building with wood. That would be a very rewarding accomplishment and then to fly something built from scratch.

I have a huge field behind my house that is perfect for this, and the only club fields I can find are some distance away. I think once we get more into spring here, I will pay a visit to my local club and say hello to some friends.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The Timber’s a great plane - my dad owns one and loves it. The only thing I will suggest when starting out is to learn to fly it smoothly first BEFORE you start throwing the switches for the flaps. If you’re not comfortable with how to fly it, you might get yourself into a little bit of trouble with it and end up crashing if it starts nosing up.

Other than that, I think it’s a great beginner plane that you can grow with as you advance your skills, and a rock solid plane to have in your hangar.