hello from Auburn Washington

ducksoup

I'm an old fart just getting back into rc planes after a 10 year hiatus. Kids are all grown and i have lots of free time. Very interested in scratch built foamies, electric gliders and multi-roters. looking for clubs, flying fields and like minded flying buddies.

GQ_ATC

I am in Auburn (Lakeland Hills) as well. I am brand new to RC flying, but have a rather extensive aviation background. It was a matter of time before I tried it.

ducksoup

Photohap, I'm not familiar with the pow wow field, where exactly is that located? Sumner meadows, you're talking about the recently closed golf course right?

photohap

sorry for the super late reply. Pow wow field is up in the muckleshoot reservation area, and the golf course is Sumner Meadows correct.

ducksoup

Can anyone tell me how to go about using the pow wow grounds at the Muckleshoot Nation? I've called on numerous occasions to get permission and they transfer me from one person to another and then another until i finally either hang up or i'm disconnect. I've tried emailing several times too and no one ever responds. Its a beautiful place and huge! I don't want to just show up and start flying, that's a good way to get a lifetime ban and possibly getting others banned too! I know people are flying out there and id like some suggestions or maybe names of tribal members to contact.
Thanks for any help!
Tom

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I know this is years later, but did you ever figure out the pow wow flying? I'm always looking for a different flying area.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I actually found an abandoned Boeing parking lot in Kent recently that I have been flying at. Like 15 acres of open space, then suddenly and sadly they brought in massive earth moving equipment and destroyed it...so my search continues for a large open space to fly...I was flying my big 60 sized stuff there and it was all paved like a dream come true.

OliverW

Legendary member
I actually found an abandoned Boeing parking lot in Kent recently that I have been flying at. Like 15 acres of open space, then suddenly and sadly they brought in massive earth moving equipment and destroyed it...so my search continues for a large open space to fly...I was flying my big 60 sized stuff there and it was all paved like a dream come true.
I would checkout the MT. Ranieri RC field.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
That's a really nice field, but I live in Seattle and it's about an hour drive away, or more in our terrible traffic. I like to fly to relieve stress, not sit in our incredibly horrific traffic...That's why I float fly in my area and also pirate fly where I can, also I fly at Flaming Geyser field which is free to anyone with an AMA and it's ok, but short runway and bumpy...

OliverW

Legendary member
That's a really nice field, but I live in Seattle and it's about an hour drive away, or more in our terrible traffic. I like to fly to relieve stress, not sit in our incredibly horrific traffic...That's why I float fly in my area and also pirate fly where I can, also I fly at Flaming Geyser field which is free to anyone with an AMA and it's ok, but short runway and bumpy...
Flaming Geyser seems like a decent field to fly at. If you want to make a 5 hour drive, your welcome down at Carl Henson Field!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I would love to fly at different fields, but here is my one complaint. All the fields want you to belong to their club in order to fly there, unless you know someone and can get a guest pass. It would be cool if you could just show up and fly at a field with an AMA card, but Flaming Geyser is the only place I know that allows that, after a safety inspection.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would love to fly at different fields, but here is my one complaint. All the fields want you to belong to their club in order to fly there, unless you know someone and can get a guest pass. It would be cool if you could just show up and fly at a field with an AMA card, but Flaming Geyser is the only place I know that allows that, after a safety inspection.

^
THIS

I think all AMA fields should allow guests as long as they follow field rules and pass their safety inspections as mentioned. I think that was one of the main points to become an AMA member is to be able to share flight time and socialize in safe and secure places. I get that club membership is needed to finance the field upkeep be it thru cash dues or labor. But for traveling people who show up only a few times a year specially from other places should be a mandated thing thru AMA. That exclusivity and segregation is one of the things that squashed AMA growth. Between the closed minded elitist old timers still living in the 50's to the hand out money grubbers people are instantly turned off to anything to do with an AMA club.

Colleycol

Thanks everyone for the information in this thread as I live in Auburn and I am looking to get into drones and RC planes with my son.

I think I am going to join the GeyserFlyers and Seattle Rams (even with the $200/yr dues) so I can learn the correct procedures from the beginning.

OliverW

Legendary member
Thanks everyone for the information in this thread as I live in Auburn and I am looking to get into drones and RC planes with my son.

I think I am going to join the GeyserFlyers and Seattle Rams (even with the $200/yr dues) so I can learn the correct procedures from the beginning.
Both are awesome fields, and you'll be flying with SupaTim and "Those Guys"! I'm super jealous! There's a lot more going on in washington with the RC community opposed to Oregon which doesnt have much

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The Rams lost their field and I’m not sure they got a new one yet, but if they do get a good field I would like to join also.