Hello from AZ

Statefarm

Hello all. My name is Jake. I’m newish to the hobby. Flown many small quads and a couple small RTF planes but it’s been awhile.

My first question is how likely am I to need 8 over 6 channels? I’m comparing the Spektrum dx6 den3 and the dx8 gen2. One is a hundred more dollars but if it means I never really need to upgrade I’d rather spend the money now.

My second question is I understand the idea of the controller, but what are the extra switches and toggles for on more advanced transmitters?

Thanks everyone for the help!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
It really depends a lot on what route you want to take, like anything here. For most planes and especially drones you will never need 8 channels but there will always be that one plane that you just cant help but keep adding stuff to it, and before you know it you've reached the limits of your gear. I did this with my guinea pig last year with 8 total channels, 2 for motors, 2 for flaperons, elevator, rudder, bomb drop, and I can't remember the 8th. I have to admit though that I have never needed more than six on any other plane, so if you just plan in building simple models then you won't need the 8 but it is really nice to have when you just want to go crazy with a build.

TO answer your other question the extra switches and toggles are mostly for customization. If your 6 channel transmitter only had two switches for the 5th and 6th channels instead of lets say 4 then you'd be stuck with the positions of those 2 switches which might be hard for your hands to reach. The other switches are for dual rates for your plane. On my dx8 for instance there are two 3 position switches for my elevator and aileron rates.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, and welcome to the forums!

Statefarm

Very cool! Thanks that really sums it up for me. The extra $100 I feel is cheap peace of mind knowing I’ll have more then I need but still have the option down the road. Thanks again!

Seahunter

I agree with foamtest. I went through this a few years ago, I jumped in and as a result, have box full of dedicated single memory transmitters, a DX6i that has been superseded, and a DX8 gen 1, now its been superseded by the DX8 gen 2 :unsure: Where does this end! :LOL:

Statefarm

Haha and that’s what I want to avoid. I want a one and done TX so seems like a great option. Plus it will work with quads as I’m sure planes won’t be enough 😂

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've discovered that, for the P-38 I want to build, I need a proper 12 (GULP!) channels. 2 for the motors (so you can have diff thrust) 2 for the elevators, 2 for flaps, 2 for rudders, 1 for landing gear, 1 for steerable nose gear, and 2 for ailerons.

And of course, all I have right now is a DX6 gen2 or 3.

So now I have to inform the wife that somehow, before I get the P-38 built, there will need to be a "$600 investment". This translates into a trip somewhere, I'm sure...

The one good side to this is that I would have the DX6 as a buddy box for training flights!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
why do you need 2-channels for the ailerons, elevator, rudder, nose steering, and flaps? those should all be tied together using a y-harness?

by my count you need 6-channels. unless you got something really weird going on.

good luck,

me :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hrmmm lets count switches and channels I use.

Standard 4 for control, arming / throttle lock, flight modes, one for radio lights and lost model beeper, volume control for radio, switch to play music, two switches for old style tuning.

So most of the time I have 4 channels active on quads, 5 on planes (so far). 6 switches for various functions, and one pot for volume.

Look a head if you plan on staying in the hobby. I never thought I could use all I do let alone keep track of it all while flying.

The more you have available to work with the more you can do in a much easier manor.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
why do you need 2-channels for the ailerons, elevator, rudder, nose steering, and flaps? those should all be tied together using a y-harness?

by my count you need 6-channels. unless you got something really weird going on.

good luck,

me :cool:

With a separate servo for each channel, you can get a more precise trimming and alignment within the radio and sub trim. That's a large part of why you'd do it, especially for a plane that's got a 60" wingspan. :)