Hello from BC Canada

jthulin

Not sure how I stumbled across Flite Test, but boy am I happy that I did! Bought some stuff and started scratch building, a Tiny Trainer and a Mini Scout were first, and a much bigger Harvard (AT6 Texan) from plans found here.

Learned a few things with the Tiny Trainer during the build, such as putting the horizontal stabilizer on upside down, and cutting a bit too deep on a couple score cuts, but otherwise I must say pretty straight forward. Top marks to the build videos!

Followed the 3 channel Tiny Trainer build as close a possible, including a FT power pack A and a Flysky FS iA6B 6 channel receiver. Battery is a 3 cell 650 mah. I found the plane to be very nose heavy, so much so that I had to move the battery completely behind the power pod. This posed mounting issues, but I managed to secure everything and get an OK CG. First flight attempt was about 18 feet, probably due to low throttle. Second flight was across the park, with questionable directional control. Pulled out of a couple death dives, but ended up nosing in and breaking the prop.

Am I on the right track to think that a stall caused the wing tip to drop and send the plane into a dive? I may have backed off the throttle too much, or tried to climb too sharply at some point.

Post flight I noticed a downward camber to the horiz stab of about 0.2". Would this have any detrimental effect on handling?

tail 1.jpg tail 2.jpg

To facilitate easier loading of the battery, I made a new, longer power pod that provides a surface to velcro the battery to. CG is good.

pod.jpg

Weather has turned nasty, so patiently waiting for calmer weather to try again...

Cheers, Jeff

Antioch

Welcome Jeff... a month into this as well....have built a few tiny trainers...just waiting for Canada post to deliver some electronics... then trying to fly....assuming the wind, rain & Mother Nature will visit elsewhere for a while... Sounds like you are having fun......hanging my hat in the Langley area.

Bob

d8veh

Elite member
The downward bend of the tail is not a problem itself, but it can upset the even movement of the elevator as it springs from one side to the other because the hinge-line isn't straight. More likely, you just had too much throttle, which makes the plane rather lively. Use a lot of throttle to launch, but back it off as soon as you have some height. The aim is to have just enough power to fly the plae around, which would be something like half-throttle with a 2S battery and a bit less with a 3S one. Once you have the throttle sorted, you can concentrate on steering the plane.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Wellcome to the club. I agree with @d8veh, as long as your elevator can move without too much effort, you should be OK. It would be good to share a video of your flight. It will help us give advice.

You should be able to trim a plane to fly hands off. With the plane trimmed, the plane should fly about the same, power on or off. If changing the power causes the plane to climb, dive, go right or left, you have a thrust anger problem.

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
Welcome aboard, I am new to, just 2 months into Flying RC. I have the Tiny Trainer and the guys here are a big help. I had the same problem with the throttle. It was recommended to me to post a video of my flights and when I did they all spotted my error right away-flying full throttle. After that I now put the throttle just over half and keep my thumb off. My flying greatly improved. I went from breaking 2-3 props a session to just chipping a couple to just bending one. My landings are still a little rough.

jthulin

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Sun has returned today, just need to find the time to get back out with the plane...

jross

Welcome, Fellow Canuck. I'm in the Kootenays. Where are you? Would be fun to hook up with some other noobie FT flyers.

Hoping to have my 3 channel tiny trainer done today. I built a spear because the build looked so cool but still a bit away from being able to fly it. I had to disassemble the center pod part way through as I'd goofed it up. Nothing was straight, square and plumb. Also building an explorer. I learned on some similar pushers a buddy had and that plane appeals to me on many levels. It's taken what seems like a long time to gather all the parts along with some extras for when I crash. Glad I'm not the only one who put my horizontal stabilizers in upside down. I said to hell with it. Figure it'll still fly fine. Just looks a bit goofy.

Happy flying!

jthulin

Welcome Jeff... a month into this as well....have built a few tiny trainers...just waiting for Canada post to deliver some electronics... then trying to fly....assuming the wind, rain & Mother Nature will visit elsewhere for a while... Sounds like you are having fun......hanging my hat in the Langley area.

Bob
Good to hear from you Bob, where are you flying? I am in Aldergrove...

jthulin

Welcome, Fellow Canuck. I'm in the Kootenays. Where are you? Would be fun to hook up with some other noobie FT flyers.

Hoping to have my 3 channel tiny trainer done today. I built a spear because the build looked so cool but still a bit away from being able to fly it. I had to disassemble the center pod part way through as I'd goofed it up. Nothing was straight, square and plumb. Also building an explorer. I learned on some similar pushers a buddy had and that plane appeals to me on many levels. It's taken what seems like a long time to gather all the parts along with some extras for when I crash. Glad I'm not the only one who put my horizontal stabilizers in upside down. I said to hell with it. Figure it'll still fly fine. Just looks a bit goofy.

Happy flying!
Hey jross, nice to see others here from BC. I am in Aldergrove.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
All these BC bros getting their handshakes warmed up and I have still yet to find some Alberta homies on here. Where are my dogs at lol?!

Not sure how I stumbled across Flite Test, but boy am I happy that I did! Bought some stuff and started scratch building, a Tiny Trainer and a Mini Scout were first, and a much bigger Harvard (AT6 Texan) from plans found here.

Learned a few things with the Tiny Trainer during the build, such as putting the horizontal stabilizer on upside down, and cutting a bit too deep on a couple score cuts, but otherwise I must say pretty straight forward. Top marks to the build videos!

Followed the 3 channel Tiny Trainer build as close a possible, including a FT power pack A and a Flysky FS iA6B 6 channel receiver. Battery is a 3 cell 650 mah. I found the plane to be very nose heavy, so much so that I had to move the battery completely behind the power pod. This posed mounting issues, but I managed to secure everything and get an OK CG. First flight attempt was about 18 feet, probably due to low throttle. Second flight was across the park, with questionable directional control. Pulled out of a couple death dives, but ended up nosing in and breaking the prop.

Am I on the right track to think that a stall caused the wing tip to drop and send the plane into a dive? I may have backed off the throttle too much, or tried to climb too sharply at some point.

Post flight I noticed a downward camber to the horiz stab of about 0.2". Would this have any detrimental effect on handling?

View attachment 120292 View attachment 120293

To facilitate easier loading of the battery, I made a new, longer power pod that provides a surface to velcro the battery to. CG is good.

View attachment 120291

Weather has turned nasty, so patiently waiting for calmer weather to try again...

Cheers, Jeff
I built the TT as well, wasn't by far my first plane to start out in the hobby like most. I had to, in true BATTLEAXE fashion, build a handful of planes that looked cool, like @jross but to a whole other level, but couldn't fly any of them because of my lack of experience as a pilot. But in doing so one of the planes that I did build, and had my first successful "no crash, controlled pilot flying the plane not the plane flying the pilot" flight was with the Mini Scout. On a calm day as a 3 channel simple RET she is a breeze to fly and cut your pilot teeth on. And it will use either the A or F Pack equivalent, I like the F Pack myself. And the plane builds in less then 1 sheet of FB. Actually the one I have now is my second I have built... liked it that much. Good for building confidence in input control/plane response to get your eye/hand coordination dialed in. Check it out. Even in the forums here people love this little angel of a plane. Here is mine:
20190711_102925.jpg

This is my first, loved it so much that I had to replace it when i folded a wing on this one, (yea they still crash from time to time). And this is the second:
20190807_111734.jpg

Red and white, truly Canadian eh!

Give it a shot, post a build thread and finish it off with a maiden vid. You will be amazed at the amount of feedback you will get on it. So much knowledge here to copy cheat and steal from. Good Luck Bro and Welcome

Sero

Elite member
No flying at all...dealing with a bunch of life things lately. How about you Sero?

Been flying at a family farm and recently got my MAAC and joined a flying club. I seem to be getting a lot of flying time in this summer, but still anxious to get more in.

Hope you get your life stuff figured out, perhaps some flying will help clear you mind.... great way to forget about things.

Sero

Elite member
All these BC bros getting their handshakes warmed up and I have still yet to find some Alberta homies on here. Where are my dogs at lol?!

I built the TT as well, wasn't by far my first plane to start out in the hobby like most. I had to, in true BATTLEAXE fashion, build a handful of planes that looked cool, like @jross but to a whole other level, but couldn't fly any of them because of my lack of experience as a pilot. But in doing so one of the planes that I did build, and had my first successful "no crash, controlled pilot flying the plane not the plane flying the pilot" flight was with the Mini Scout. On a calm day as a 3 channel simple RET she is a breeze to fly and cut your pilot teeth on. And it will use either the A or F Pack equivalent, I like the F Pack myself. And the plane builds in less then 1 sheet of FB. Actually the one I have now is my second I have built... liked it that much. Good for building confidence in input control/plane response to get your eye/hand coordination dialed in. Check it out. Even in the forums here people love this little angel of a plane. Here is mine:
View attachment 139459
This is my first, loved it so much that I had to replace it when i folded a wing on this one, (yea they still crash from time to time). And this is the second:
View attachment 139462
Red and white, truly Canadian eh!

Give it a shot, post a build thread and finish it off with a maiden vid. You will be amazed at the amount of feedback you will get on it. So much knowledge here to copy cheat and steal from. Good Luck Bro and Welcome

Great job with the Scouts. I like how you did the tail controls on the second one.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great job with the Scouts. I like how you did the tail controls on the second one.
It was a copy of how the tail controls were done on the Baby blender. I like it there and have done it on a couple other planes, TT was one of them.

What are you flyin right now?

Sero

Elite member
It was a copy of how the tail controls were done on the Baby blender. I like it there and have done it on a couple other planes, TT was one of them.

What are you flyin right now?

Flying the water plane in my signature and a Mustang I built with a speed wing and 700 watts. Occasionally a Goblin and a Cub.

Planning on continuing with my racer (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-racer-narrow-fuse-speed-wing.58854/ )
andgoing to build a Guinea Pig and an Edge soon.

The Baby Blender is something I've always wanted to try.

IMG_20190403_094107.jpg

IMG_20190426_145953.jpg

IMG_20190417_153209.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea the Baby Blender is a sweet looking plane. Of coarse I did some more to it, like extended the tail section by 3", swept the wings an extended those, and gave the top wing dihedral, I eliminated the front cockpit and sloped the front turtle deck for a profiled nose kinda like the Mustang. Check it out:
20190731_205709.jpg 20190731_205640.jpg 20190731_205617.jpg
I thought these nods were a brilliant stroke of genius on my part but as it turns out these are pretty common mods as per the forum, the swept wing was kinda unique though.

Do you get to fly alot

Sero

Elite member
Yea the Baby Blender is a sweet looking plane. Of coarse I did some more to it, like extended the tail section by 3", swept the wings an extended those, and gave the top wing dihedral, I eliminated the front cockpit and sloped the front turtle deck for a profiled nose kinda like the Mustang. Check it out:
View attachment 139594 View attachment 139595 View attachment 139596
I thought these nods were a brilliant stroke of genius on my part but as it turns out these are pretty common mods as per the forum, the swept wing was kinda unique though.

Do you get to fly alot

Looks great! How does this one fly compared to the original or is this one the only one you've flown?