Hello from Edinburgh, UK - Starting fresh

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hi!

Regarding the my questions about the motors and how to mount them, I was watching again yesterday, the video of the anycopter build (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_bDJ-esG4A) and I spotted that David mounted his X quadcopter with the same motors as mine and mounted below the plate (with the prop hub). So I assume that there is no problem doing so after all :p

Anyway, if it turns out to be any issue, do you think this motor can replace my Park300 1380Kv?

In relation to power and speed, these motors are very similar. The park300 is speced to spin slightly faster, but I doubt it's noticable.

I don't know if the collet adaptor from the park300 can be used on the hextronic motor, but there's a good chance it can.

Tomtom

In relation to power and speed, these motors are very similar. The park300 is speced to spin slightly faster, but I doubt it's noticable.

I don't know if the collet adaptor from the park300 can be used on the hextronic motor, but there's a good chance it can.

I just have the confirmation that the shaft on this motor is 3mn so yes, the collet adaptor will work on these :)

Tomtom

Hi!

I had a bit of time today before the sun went down to finish the paint and build of my quad. Here is the result!
quad.jpg
I'm pretty happy with the way it looks :)

I also flashed my kk2.0 board with the lastest firmware. I'll try to put everything together for this weekend's first flight test

Tomtom

Hi!

I finally finished the build. Here is the final product and I'm really happy with the way it looks like
2013-11-17 13.24.25.jpg

I was so excited, I took it outside for my first flights which ended up pretty well. The quad is really stable even woth the auto-level off. Here is a quick video:

However, at the end of my battery life, something really strange happened. Take a look:

I analysed the video and it seems that the left front collet just took off by itself. Results: one boom slip but I could fixed it with a few zipties, all other parts seem fines. So my first experience was... soo cool and so disappointing in a same time. I just hope that nothing else is broken.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
With collet adapters, it's doubly important to really make sure they are very tight. That not only pulls the collet tight on the motor shaft but makes sure the prop doesn't slip either.

Collet slip aside, it looks like a successful maiden!

Tomtom

With collet adapters, it's doubly important to really make sure they are very tight. That not only pulls the collet tight on the motor shaft but makes sure the prop doesn't slip either.

Collet slip aside, it looks like a successful maiden!

Yes, I thought there were tight enough but obviously not. I learned the lesson by the hard way! I'll double check the next time.

And as you said, yes, successful maiden. Next step: bigger grass field (just in case) and do few maneuvers :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I usually test mine by grabbing the prop and the motor bell and try to twist the prop with a firm grip. If it moves at all, time to re-tighten...

Get some more video when you take it out to the bigger area. You know we love video of great flights or crashes. We're not picky!

Tomtom

I usually test mine by grabbing the prop and the motor bell and try to twist the prop with a firm grip. If it moves at all, time to re-tighten...

Get some more video when you take it out to the bigger area. You know we love video of great flights or crashes. We're not picky!

Ahaha, I will and hop it will be only great flights!

Tomtom

Hi!

During my test flights yeterday, I noticed that I didn't have so much thrust power. I'm currently using those motors: HexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv, 8x4.5' props, a 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo and my quad weights 720 grams so it should be more than enough.

Then I decided to look at the KK2 board settings and I realized in a receiver test mode that when I'm at full throttle, the value received is 88 and not 100. I'm maybe wrong but this value should reach 100 at full throttle, right? If yes, how can fix that (I cannot setup any expo on my Tx as I have a Specktrum DX5e) ?

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's not expo that you need to set. It might be either dual rates or you need to adjust your endpoints/travel adjustment. Maybe someone that flies Spektrum can tell you how to do it exactly...

Tomtom

It's not expo that you need to set. It might be either dual rates or you need to adjust your endpoints/travel adjustment. Maybe someone that flies Spektrum can tell you how to do it exactly...
Ok, thanks for the update. I tried to search on Internet if someone had the same issue with no luck...

I hope someone on this forum can help me then :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sorry, I just realized you are using a Dx5e. You don't have any menu. You might try running the trim up on the throttle and see if that helps full throttle on the radio reach closer to 100 on the board... Still will need to watch what it's doing at no throttle and recalibrate your ESC's once you find a happy spot with the trim...

Tomtom

Sorry, I just realized you are using a Dx5e. You don't have any menu. You might try running the trim up on the throttle and see if that helps full throttle on the radio reach closer to 100 on the board... Still will need to watch what it's doing at no throttle and recalibrate your ESC's once you find a happy spot with the trim...

I'll try that and let you know.
Anyway, thanks for trying to help me :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No worries. I was worried about steering you in the wrong direction since I don't fly Spektrum, but since it's not a computer radio, that narrows the options....

Tomtom

Hi again!

I finally had the time (and weather) to go outside and fly with my GoPro attached to my quad. Here is the result:

By the way, I figured out what was the problem with the throttle. The Hi-Lo switch on my TX was set on "Lo"... I such an Idiot! But everything is fine now, I'm pretty happy with the video and I really enjoy flying now :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Great news! I am so glad it worked out finally!
And just for reference in the future; the Hi-Lo switch is commonly referred to as dual rates. Low is probably half the travel of High, and on some radios can be custom set to any percentage.
Keep the video's coming!

Tomtom

Dual rate, that's right. Thanks for the update!

I'll keep posting videos (better I hope) maybe on another thread :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Looks nice in the air!

You'll fight Jello nearly forever. A good camera mount and balance will help, but even then, getting always crystal clear video from a multirotor takes a *LOT* of fine tuning, and not every setup can go all the way. Don't worry, though -- a little more effort and you should be able to get to "good enough".

BTW, did you recheck the ballance after you added the gopro? You were mentioning in the vid your copter was giving you trouble. These birds can act a little squrilley when the CG is moved away from the control board.

Then again, they flying in a close space like a backyard or a driveway is a *much* diffrent experience than in an open area where you can let her run, and wind will play havoc with how it feels until you get used to it.

Tomtom

Thanks!

Yeah, I know that's it's really hard to have crystal clear videos but I'm working on a 3D printed gimbal mounted on damping ball. I still need to figure out how to attached it correctly on a front of my quad but it should be much better.

To answer your previous question: yes, I recheck the balance after adding my GoPro by moving back the LiPo. And it was hard to fly mostly because of the wind, not the GoPro ;)