Hello From Glendale, CA- build update

MrGreyHornet

Hey everyone. I'm new to all of this, just enjoy watching the Youtube channel and was thinking it would be fun to get into the hobby. I obtained an entry roftl copter ( quad copter) from my work and I took it apart, thinking I could use the motors and what not to make a pizza box wing or FTwing . I have no idea what I'm doing but that's all part of the adventure.

This is what I took apart:

Think I'm wasting my time?

Attachments

• 20180608_230107.jpg
    20180608_230107.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to FT mate.

Surprised no one caught this yesterday. Flite Test is ALL about experimenting with things. whether they work or not is of no importance. Learning something or having success with an idea is what makes it cool. Even if it fails documenting the progress helps with other ideas and we can laugh at mishaps or clap on successes with you.

Start fabricating and let us know what you are trying and I am sure input will happen as you move forward with your project.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome!!!

As Psy stated, we're all for TRYING things. Without that, I wouldn't have been able to get a new plane by showing my wife a flying pig. (sure, it only flew for about 10 seconds, but it flew, so I got to get a new plane!)

Now, whether you can repurpose that other drone to do what you want? My honest answer is, "I don't know." But what's the harm in trying to reuse it? :) The absolute worst that happens is you short out a circuit board and let the magic blue smoke out, and then you have to go with something else, but there are a lot of us around who can try to help keep you on track so it HOPEFULLY doesn't happen the first time.

I know I'm more than happy to act as a sounding board, and I'm pretty sure PsyBorg is as well. :) Worst that happens is that we tell you the, "I dunno...but let's try it and see what happens!" line! :)

MrGreyHornet

Thanks for the welcomes. I've decided to try with one of the cheap Foam Gliders that we all played with when we were kids like the FT boys did recently. Won't cry if it melts down mid-air (if I can make it in the air) haha

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks for the welcomes. I've decided to try with one of the cheap Foam Gliders that we all played with when we were kids like the FT boys did recently. Won't cry if it melts down mid-air (if I can make it in the air) haha

Repeat after me: "Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat". :) Crashing and rebuilding, I feel like it's half the fun now that I've discovered I can rebuild it cheaply! And, if I screw up on the first build I'm bound to learn how to build it better the next time around. :)

MrGreyHornet

Build update... So this drone has a bunch of crap that HAS to be on it. Alsp learned that if in a vlimb the motors shut off from the gyro.. so thats fun. Trying to figure out how to mount the motors was a pain.
20180623_171221.jpg
20180623_171657.jpg
20180624_144436.jpg
20180624_222324.jpg
20180624_222341.jpg

jamboree1

Glider conversions are always fun. You might want to take a look at how you are mounting the motors, they need to be facing perfectly straight with the nose. Any angling will make that plane unflyable