Hello from Minnesota

talls6

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to the RC aircraft world. I have spent the past 38 years in building Scale aircraft that sat on the ground. For some reason I was always intimidated by the RC world. Whether it be the $$ that I never seemed to have or the fear of spending that hard earned $$ only to spike the aircraft into the ground, I always backed away from trying. I found FliteTest on Youtube and for some reason I decided that this is something that I want to try. I have been lurking, reading, watching videos trying to decide what my next step is. I downloaded the Long EZ plans with the intention of making a chuck glider to share with my kids. Right now I am trying to find local clubs in which to visit. I have a friend who flies and instructs and he is being very helpful, but does live 60 miles away so not extremely convenient. Any advice on where to start and is the DIY route a good way to begin or should I look at a Ready to Fly unit? My friend also offered to sell me one of his older trainers at a discount. It runs on a Tactic transmitter. If I went this route, does that mean I can only get Tactic brands in the future should I branch out?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Darren

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
yes, receivers are brand specific. if you go tactic, you will only be able to fly tactic aircraft unless you replace the rx. i am a big fan of Spektrum, a little more up front investment but if you plan on sticking with the hobby, it can't be beat. DIY is a great way to start, the long EZ will be perfect. it is cheap, simple to cut out and build, and flies well. Having a ready to fly may not be bad, but it won't teach you anything an FT plane can't.

good luck and welcome.

me :cool:

spdcm

I was like you Darren. The Forms are a great start. There is info. on Transmitters and receivers here in the forms. I would definitely go with your friends offer to start. If you then like the RC, you can upgrade. I watched the DIY Builds on the Flitetest youtube and it greatly help. I even purchased a simulator, which my young grandson enjoys too. If you smash the trainer many times there are replacement parts you can purchase. Also the Flight test Foam are inexpensive and if you total it you can fix it easily with some more foam board from the dollar store.

talls6

mrjdstewert and spdcm, thank you for the advice. I am still debating on my next step. I am calling it paralysis by over analysis. I may decide to wait until next spring to dive into things, but perhaps that would give me time to research, fly simulators, build, etc....will definitely looking through the forum for advice. I already found the post on different transmitters. There is so much information to let soak in.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Welcome fellow Minnesotan! I live in the rural south west part of Minnesota near Willmar. My I ask where your from? When I started flying I had good luck with the Flysky Fs-i6 transmitter and receiver that I purchased new for about 45 dollars. I still use it today along with a couple spektrum radios. If I had to do over I would still purchase the Flysky radio but instead of buying all the parts separate I would order the Flite Test C-Pack and some 2200 3s batteries. Then download the plans for one of the many FT planes that fly on the C-pack and get to building! I learned to fly on the FT Speedster and FT Bloody Wonder. But there a plenty to choose from. I have a lot of planes now that are built out of the different types of materials used. But I still enjoy building from DTFB! It's wonderful building your own plane that actually fly's and you don't have to feel bad about wreaking it cause you have the plans to either fix or rebuild fairly easily. The only other suggestion I have is to buy a few props at first. I remember getting so frustrated after a successfully flight just to break a prop on the landing!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums Darren! :D

My advice mirrors @ranger351 but there is also a lot of value to getting that trainer from your friend too.

With your friends' setup you will be working with a "known to be flying and setup correctly" airplane - so the only variable when you get going is piloting skill. This can help you focus on learning to fly without wondering if you built the plane right, or set the control throws too high, or the motor isn't powerfull enough, or the ESC isn't calibrated. This path should also come with a fair amount of advice and support from the friend which can be invaluable as well (assuming it's a good friend, not a "let me unload some old junk on this sucker" friend :p )

While getting some flight time on a ready to fly trainer and simulators is a great step, the most fun in this hobby is kept as a carefully guarded secret that we only let a few people know about... :sneaky: and that is the best feeling is getting something to fly that you've made yourself. :cool: When it comes to starting down the DIY building path, that's where I say you can't go wrong with @ranger351's advice. I started with one of those little Flysky Fs-i6's myself and it got my FT Tiny Trainer through dozens and dozens of flights. I did the 'cheap out' route and bought parts separately through HobbyKing, but in hind sight it would have been worth the money to just get the power pack from flite test. And if you have room to fly, store, and transport a 5 foot plane go for the C power pack and a Storch. If you are a little more space constrained go for the A pack and a Tiny Trainer.

And don't be afraid of asking questions here in the forums - even if it seems like questions about what should be super simple and obvious things. We all know that when you're learning new stuff it can be hard to even know the right words to search for to find information. And in this community we are all about helping each other out. The second most fun in this hobby (our other carefully guarded secret :sneaky: ) is it feels great to help other people out. By asking questions you're both learning things and providing an opportunity for someone just a couple steps ahead of you to share what they have just learned too :D

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
...or get a multiprotocol transmitter once you have flown for a bit and decided it's for you. Something like the jumper t8sg v2 which will talk to almost all receivers and then there's no reason to get locked into a particular brand of receivers.
You buy the ones that suit the need best, and no need to go retrofitting your existing aircraft with a particular make.

talls6

Thank you all again for the advice. A new twist to my story. I was going to jump on my friends offer and training, however, my van decided it had other ideas. The repairs will be delaying any hobby purchases for at least the fall. So, perhaps next spring when the snow melts in MN I can start anew. I guess I could take that time and build a few different models to smash up when I do get airborne. :) The Scale modeler in me still likes the DIY building aspect.

Ranger351. I currently live in Waconia on the SW corner of the Metro area. I grew up around 85 miles south of Willmar and had relatives who lived on Eagle Lake just north of Willmar. I know the area well.

Rockyboy. Thank you for your advice. I was leaning towards a "known" flyable aircraft to learn on. That is why my Friends aircraft was appealing. It is a highwing like a cub or Cessna look. 63" wingspan with a good motor. Was planning on DIY'ing some Long EZ's to use as chuck gliders for my kids. Can't beat making 4 of them for under $10 worth of materials (counting Glue).

Caroline Tyler. Thank you for the steer on another Transmitter option. As I stated in my opening, I am kind of getting the paralysis by over analysis with all the information and different options. Everyone has their favorites.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts.
Darren