Hello from n00b... glue gun doesn't feed

m0ppy

Hi guys, building my first airplane in a loooong time... last one had a brushed motor and NiCd batts with a 72 MHz radio. This was in a year that started with a 1.

Got started on my FT Tiny Trainer last night and found that the glue gun (AdTech 200W thing in the FT krafty kit) does not feed with the trigger. This is using the glue sticks from the kit as well. I have to push the glue stick with the back of my hand to get it down into the nozzle, then I can dispense with the trigger. As soon as I release the trigger, the glue stick crawls backward a half inch or so and won't feed again until I "prime" it with the back of my hand.

That means I need two hands to glue, thus leaving approximately zero hands free for holding my plane parts.

Some kung-fu I'm missing to lock, load, and fire this glue gun?

Gazoo

The same thing happened with my new AdTech 200. After the first stick through, it started working nicely. I never did figure it out. It's like it was gripping the glue stick when you squeeze and then pulling it back out of the chamber when released.

All I can say is that after the first stick, it straightened itself out and has been a great gun for me. I like it a lot!

Does the element inside that melts the glue need to be tempered or something???

Gazoo

Good luck and report back if you can. I kept silent on my issue but if it is a thing with that glue gun, then it might help someone else out.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Sometimes you have to help the slide. When you pull the trigger, the slide moves forward. Make sure it is not grabbing the glue stick and moving backwards with it when you release the trigger. If it is, hold the glue stick and ease the slide back.

m0ppy

Update. Last night I built noses and a wing and the glue gun worked well. Perhaps there was some kind of tempering or seasoning (like an iron frying pan) that needed to happen... a temperature cycle or two, some manufacturing residue cooked or wiped off, etc.

Thx @Gazoo and @SlingShot for your comments.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is common with many glue guns. Seems that rubber grommet that grasps the glue stick to move it forward requires a bit of use to "Shape" it. I have a smaller glue gun that STILL does that after changing sticks. I tried that melt the end trick but the sticks are such a small diameter they deform and are cold by the time you work them in. I just push my chin on the stick as I release the trigger so my other hand is still free to manipulate of hold foam til I set the gun down or finish the bead I was making.

Namactual

Elite member
I have the same gun. Often times you can pull the trigger and it will feel squishy and no glue or very will dispense. You get air pockets in the rubber grommet in the gun itself, not the pusher. When you get air in the gun, it will push the stick back out after you let go of the trigger. When this happens the entire motion of the pusher pushes the stick back in, but it still never reaches the nozzle.

I usually use a tiny pushrod wire and insert it between the stick and the rubber grommet and pull the trigger to purge the positive air pressure and she works like a charm.

Note: do not force the rod in with too much pressure, be careful not to rip the grommet.

Not saying this is your issue, but just a thought.