Hello From New Orleans LA

bigmatt101

Hello, I'm new to the hobby. I've wanted to get into something RC for a while and looked into trucks/buggies/rock crawlers but found it to be rather expensive with parts. So the more I wanted to tinker with electronics and have a transmitter in my hand, the more I liked watching people fly. I bought a small quad (Estes Proto Z) that I found for almost nothing at my local Tuesday Morning and got the bug on flight. That quad sucks btw, but it allowed me to get into the air.

I now own and fly a Hobbyzone Sport Cub (that I have repaired and flown, repaired again, repeat) and still get giddy like a kid on Christmas morning when it's not windy out, cause I'm going flyen.

This hobby can be very cost efficient. I can buy a couple hundred bucks in electronics and (as long as I don't crash too bad) put that power pod in another foamboard plane and fly again for on the cheap. Thats how I found Flite Test. With the Power Packs and foam kits, it's a win win for somebody like me.

I'm gonna have questions, so I made an account. Happy Holidays!!!

Matt

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm trying to talk the wife into driving over your way this month since she's going to have some vacation time from work.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome ! I started in this hobby 20yrs ago when I was a teenager, but I still get giddy and start preppin my gear like a mad man when the weather app predicts a dead calm morning. We also seem to share a frugal approach so if I may, let me recommend that you start printing plans and scratch building rite off the bat. The videos are great, you learn the techniques pretty quick and then it's like new plane costs a few dollars and some time. Whatever you do, welcome to this amazing hobby and this rare and terrific community. You are about to have a great winter.

bigmatt101

I'm trying to talk the wife into driving over your way this month since she's going to have some vacation time from work.

Welcome to the forum!

New Orleans is a great city. It's been a bit violent the last few years. We have giant park out in Mid City (City Park) with some soccer fields where I fly at. It's a great town though.

If you come out, and you've never been here before, holler at me (or any of the other members in this forum from NOLA) and we can name some cool places to drink at that are (a little) off the beaten path. New Orleans is not just the French Quarter...

Matt

bigmatt101

Welcome ! I started in this hobby 20yrs ago when I was a teenager, but I still get giddy and start preppin my gear like a mad man when the weather app predicts a dead calm morning. We also seem to share a frugal approach so if I may, let me recommend that you start printing plans and scratch building rite off the bat. The videos are great, you learn the techniques pretty quick and then it's like new plane costs a few dollars and some time. Whatever you do, welcome to this amazing hobby and this rare and terrific community. You are about to have a great winter.

Thats exactly what I want to do. Build some stuff I get to fly with my tools. I'm have carpentry knowledge and a (small) workshop. I have a decent Hot Glue Gun and ready to use it!!!

Hope the wind gets calm... I bought a cheapo Key Fob spy camera (very light) from Amazon and plan on strapping it to my Sport Cub and linking footage just you guys can laugh at newb flying skills!!!