Hello from NJ

headstash

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I'm not new to RC but fairly green when it comes to planes. I'm fascinated by the swappable series and I'm looking forward to my maiden flight. Anyway, I just wanted to thank the community here for offering up all their expertise and ingenuity to all the newbs like myself. This is a fantastic resource.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Welcome! Always great to have a new face, er, post around here!

If you have any questions or comments, dont' hesitate to jump in!

have you settled on a first build yet?

Flynn

Welcome! I too live in Northern Jersey. I'm somewhat of a newb myself. Where are u located? I'm in Oak Ridge. Jefferson Twsp. Lots of great people here on the forum.

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I think a lot of us are newbies. Doesn't stop us from acting like experts. ... And by "us" I mean "me".

My signature is actually rather true.

headstash

Thanks for the warm welcome! So far I've built the power pod, the FT Flyer and the DeltaWing, although I'm still waiting on my electronics, props etc from HK. The wait is killing me but it's given me time to look at other designs and think about my next build. I think I'll minwax by builds to kill another day or two.Snail mail is slow enough but when the contains RC parts, it adds to the torture. Great community here. I'm really psyched to be a part of it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hmm . . . seems like we didn't get the warning to you in time. yup, you've caught the bug ;)

Get used to the torture. It gets easier when you have something to fly while you wait, but not by much.

Also, feel free to decorate your flyer, but you'll likely be mod-ing it soon using the soil impact and abrasion technique. If you get some flight time before that (or bonus: a landing), trust me, it'll be worth it!

I've gotten into the habit of doing all but the finish prior to maiden -- if posible. If she flys well, she's earned her colors. I also don't grow too fond, so if she doesn't fly well I have no hesitation resorting to major surgery!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
One of the biggest things for me when I was just starting was that I was afraid of quickly destroying my plane. I didn't want to fly it because I just knew I was going to break it instantly. But then I realized that yes, I am going to destroy the plane. There is absolutely no way around that. I just might as well have fun doing so. You have to fully commit. If you think you're going to crash, you're going to crash a lot sooner.

I guess my point is that maybe you want to build some spare planes while waiting. Also scope out some near by hobby shops and see what they have for props. It'll be worth the extra money for the props so you can get back in the air sooner.

Flynn

I hit Kenvil Hobbies, cause I'm in Morris County. He's pretty good with stuff like props, connectors and such. I've had a quick turn around time with altitude hobbies.

For me so far the two best pieces of hardware have been a battery checker and a prop saver.