Hello from Oregon!

drumified

Hi, everyone! My name is Jacob and I'm from Oregon. I've been flying RC aircraft for quite a few years and have gotten into it more seriously once I discovered FliteTest in 2015. Since then, I'm on a mission to recruit as many people as possible into the hobby by showing them the FliteTest videos and planes.

My hangar includes:
FT Scout - salvaged for parts for the Mini Mustang, but I'm now working on getting it flying again
FT22 Raptor - great plane with a low power setup for fun park flying
Inductrix FPV - I've got this thing to blame for getting me hooked on FPV...so much fun!
FT Mini Mustang - First plan that I painted and added FPV and subsequently destroyed while teaching others how to fly
3DLabPrint Spitfire - Beautiful 3D printed plane that flies so fast and so smooth

I'm now contemplating adding either an Arrow or a Gremlin to replace the Mustang. I can't decide...any recommendations?

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get on the forums, but I'm here now. I'm excited to learn from you all and help out however I can.

If there are any other members in the Willamette Valley area looking for someone to fly with, hit me up!

Thank you for your hospitality!
-Jacob

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20150316_215043.jpg
    IMG_20150316_215043.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Mini Mustang.jpg
    Mini Mustang.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Spitfire.jpg
    Spitfire.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Liam B

Nice! Welcome to the forums!

My personal suggestion is the Arrow, just because I’ve had two and loved them. I don’t own a Gremlin, but I know people absolutely love theirs.

Also, what’s the backstory on your user name?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to the real world.

Looks like you have gained some really nice build skills during your seclusion. Nice looking aircraft. Seeing you have more then a few fixed wing I would say go with the Gremlin for a change and challenge. If your soldering skills are as good as your build skills you will have no problems getting one together.

As Stig says a little history on your user name (wanna be musician myself) I think I have an idea already.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm now contemplating adding either an Arrow or a Gremlin to replace the Mustang. I can't decide...any recommendations?

Welcome to the forums!! :applause:

So the answer to this question is simple, if you're talking about an FT Arrow and the FT Gremlin mini-quad or the awesome RA Cores Gremlin Combat Wing, the answer is still the same: Get Both!

(Yes, we are enablers here... :p)

These are all really fun, and really different aircraft - and I know budgets sometimes force us to make choices, but these are some really fun toys. :cool:

drumified

Thank you all for the warm welcome! You are definitely a bunch of enablers...I just submitted an order for a gremlin and now I'm pricing out an arrow :D

Regarding the username, I've been playing musical instruments since elementary school. During that time, I mostly played the trombone and decided that trombonified would be a fun name. In high school, I joined the drumline and subsequently learned how to play drumset. Once I sold off the trombones (to afford other hobbies), I switched from trombonified to drumified. I still play drums weekly at my church and at various concerts and gigs throughout the year.

TexMechs, no I don't do free flight. I do have my private pilot's license though.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm a codfish...

I guess I was thinkin the wrong Gremlin.. Ill just be over here in the corner with all the other lowly and shunned quadies..

Liam B

Very cool! My dad is a drum teacher and I play drums AND trombone as well. Still like drums better as their is no lip buzzing and numbness, and the emptying of the spit valve!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Welcome to the forum Jacob! Those are some nice looking birds in your hangar. I would also recommend the arrow, haven't flown a gremlin, so I can't really help on that front. Cool that you have you pilot's license as well! What do you fly on the full scale side? I've got my private heli license but haven't ventured into an airplane license yet.

I'm a codfish...

I guess I was thinkin the wrong Gremlin.. Ill just be over here in the corner with all the other lowly and shunned quadies..
Don't worry Psyborg, you can share the corner with us shunned rc heli pilots ;).

drumified

Psyborg, sorry for the confusion. I totally meant FT Gremlin quad. I got the carbon fiber Bixler frame.

I'm part of a flying club that has a Cessna 172, 182, and Piper Cherokee. I work for Garmin designing avionics, so it's good to fly what I'm designing.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Jacob and I would just like to add my virtual handshake to the rest to welcome you to the forum. So nice to have musical talent and I'm pleased to see you are using it in worship as well. Also, I wish you well as you go about recruiting for the hobby.

I like all of your builds. Who couldn't like those warbirds. I am especially curious to see the printed Spitfire in flight. That transluscent body makes me wonder how it will look as sunlight shines through.

Again, welcome to the forum.
—Jim

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I'm part of a flying club that has a Cessna 172, 182, and Piper Cherokee. I work for Garmin designing avionics, so it's good to fly what I'm designing.
That's awesome, and a great selection of aircraft! I work at Bell and we use your avionics in most of our aircraft.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Psyborg, sorry for the confusion. I totally meant FT Gremlin quad. I got the carbon fiber Bixler frame.

WAHOO!!! tagged back in!!! Sorry F106deltadart. JimCR120 now has a cp heli maybe he can keep ya company.

@Drumified :cool: I chose the JB frame too but I was an early adopter and have the Delrin frame. I do have to replace that with the CF one though as I have a cracked boom on mine now. I have a whole thread on my build and change process right up to my current pids rates and auto level settings for indoor flight. I can and do fly mine on both 2s and 3s. Mine is kind of on the lardy side but still rips pretty nicely.

FlyingPlow

I'm in Salem.
Jacob,

I'm a fellow Salemite! Where are you flying right now?

I work in Lebanon, so I joined the Lebanon Area RC club. It's great to be able to fly on my lunch hour. I actually haven't flown anywhere in Salem. Waiting for our wonderful weather to improve. :)

Bryan

drumified

Jacob,

I'm a fellow Salemite! Where are you flying right now?

I work in Lebanon, so I joined the Lebanon Area RC club. It's great to be able to fly on my lunch hour. I actually haven't flown anywhere in Salem. Waiting for our wonderful weather to improve. :)

Bryan

That's awesome! I was wondering when someone from this area would pop up. It depends what I'm flying, but I typically go to one of the big high schools when the fields are empty. Sprague and West are my usual choices. I flew my FPV FT Arrow at Sprague last weekend and it went really well (YouTube Video). For my Babyhawk r, I just pick any random park without people. What are you flying, Bryan?

skymaster

Elite member
Hello and welcome. i been to Oregon a couple of times, nice state a lot of green. and visited the stated fair at Portland. It was the most exciting place i have ever been to. I saw for the first time the biggest horse i have ever seen. as big as an elephant and one as tiny as a dog.