Hello from South Korea!

Triflyer

Hello! I'm looking to get into the Multirotor side of flying. I've attempted to flush out a parts list from FliteTest/Hobby King to build my first Tricopter(Future FPV). I was curious if someone could help me out by looking it over to suggest better parts/criticism. I'm looking to build this with just a dremel, and soldering iron.

ucqh.jpg

Also, a few of the items I would like are on backorder from Hobby King. There are:
Turnigy 15Amp ESC
SF 8/4 Black Props
Zip ties

I'm not too worried about the zip ties, but I would like to order this "kit" soon and not have to wait on back ordered items. Can anyone help me by suggesting similar or better items? Thanks a million, I look forward to the hobby!

Last edited:

5 oclock charlie

kk2 is only 30 dollars- id look for another vendor for all the other items except the 9x.
i dont see a flashtool on your list, were you planning on running the 1.2 firmware exclusively? i would suggest against that
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idProduct=21321
they can be had on ebay or amazon for just as cheap, and theyre in stock.
your motor choice is very high kv for multirotor. something in the 800-100 range is much better.
you are missing 5x male to male servo adaptor to run between the kk and your rx. these are neccessary.
theres no wire or bullet connectors on your list either, tricopter will take 15 pairs. you have to check the escs and motors for hardware. most likely they wont come with the connectors.
i see no servo listed either. that will be a neccessity. as will a servo extension.
on the same note. i seriously doubt your prop selection can be driven by the motors you chose. 1600kv should put you in the 7 inch or smaller without a doubt.
honeslly i would suggest doing a little bit more research and starting your list over with only the kk2 and the 9x as your base.
good luck!

Triflyer

kk2 is only 30 dollars- id look for another vendor for all the other items except the 9x.
i dont see a flashtool on your list, were you planning on running the 1.2 firmware exclusively? i would suggest against that
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idProduct=21321
they can be had on ebay or amazon for just as cheap, and theyre in stock.
your motor choice is very high kv for multirotor. something in the 800-100 range is much better.
you are missing 5x male to male servo adaptor to run between the kk and your rx. these are neccessary.
theres no wire or bullet connectors on your list either, tricopter will take 15 pairs. you have to check the escs and motors for hardware. most likely they wont come with the connectors.
i see no servo listed either. that will be a neccessity. as will a servo extension.
on the same note. i seriously doubt your prop selection can be driven by the motors you chose. 1600kv should put you in the 7 inch or smaller without a doubt.
honeslly i would suggest doing a little bit more research and starting your list over with only the kk2 and the 9x as your base.
good luck!

I do apologize, I was unaware of these minor necessities. I do appreciate the input. I have made my spreadsheet available to the public here. (Google Drive Spreadsheet) I noticed when I added the KK2 board to my cart is went from being ~$30 to ~$50. I assumed that the "checkout" price was correct so that's what I reflected in my spreadsheet. I'd like to order from Hobbyking, or try and constrain my order to as few vendors as possible so I don't have to track multiple packages internationally from multiple shops as I'll be shipping them APO/FPO.

I also tried to contain my parts selection to what Flitetest had linked on their Anycopter store page. I really have no clue what parts I'm buying, or what, but I do appreciate the help.

Is there a link to calculators to compute which size motors/rotors I need? I'm looking for stability and flight time. I don't really care for blazing speed or acceleration especially since this is my first time flying. I just want to be able to put my Hero2 on it at one time along with 5.8ghz FPV transmission gear.

EDIT:I have attempted to modify my motor/ESC/battery. I have also added programming cards, and wiring components

Last edited:

Triflyer

Salt Lake City? I'm originally from Southern Idaho! I didn't know there was any interest in the hobby around there.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome! I just updated my spreadsheet, can I get some more advice? Thanks!

Dino

Yah S.L.C. and yah there ain't to much flyers here. But I got my start in quads. Yah it sounds like you got the bases covered. what else do you need help with?

Triflyer

I could use some help trying to determine the best components for stable/smooth FPV. The more I look it seems that people opt out of the 8"x5 prop that I'm thinking of using for a 10"x4 with ~1000kv engines. I was curious what would give the most shake free/smooth flying/flight time. Would increasing the length of the booms help? Also is there such thing as an ESC that's too big?

Rubicon

Dino,
There are more then you think :) Uterc.com and there area bunch that park fly with no affiliation to any club, me included.

Triflyer

I think I would also like to be able to carry two 3S Lipo 2200mah batteries at some point in the copter's lifetime. Will running the batteries in parallel affect the ESC/Motors? Obviously I would need to purchase motors that will run on one battery, but running an additional battery on some flights won't burn out my ESC/motors, right?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Funny. My brother-in-law lives there. He's South Korean, adopted by US folks (my mother and father -in-law), learned Korean, now teaches English at a South Korean School. Insanely nice guy. No interest in the hobby though.

Dino

Triflyer I've run the 10x4.7 props on my quad with 1000kv motors and I also have two 3S 2200 on my quad the biggest thing to balance your props and your motors I am running at 450mm frame

Triflyer

Triflyer I've run the 10x4.7 props on my quad with 1000kv motors and I also have two 3S 2200 on my quad the biggest thing to balance your props and your motors I am running at 450mm frame

Right, I'm quite meticulous when it comes to details so balancing the props will be my highest priority. I'm probably going to switch from the 8x5 props to the larger 10x4.5

I was just trying to understand the science/maths between the motor size and prop size along with how they relate to battery draw, flight quality, and flight time. Also, like I asked in my last post, if I purchased motors that I plan on running on one battery, if I add a second battery in parallel in the future will it hurt anything? If so I'd like to eliminate the need to purchase new ESC/motors.

Thanks for the help folks!

Hopefully South Korea doesn't have any laws/rules about this hobby. I'm military and have been here a few years and I've never even heard of any RC hobbies.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Parallel won't hurt anything as long as the balance is still where it's supposed to be. You want to make sure your quad is flying well because flights will get a lot longer! :) At least as far as the battery is concerned.

Triflyer

Well, I finally bit the bullet and made an order. I settled on different motors and props than I started with, but overall I think I will be happy taking your folks advice. Now just to wait on shipping from Hobbyking to APOBox, and then it's final destination to me here in South Korea. I wish Hobby King shipped to APO AP, but I was unable to get their online shipping tool to allow it. Plus I now need to figure out a way to get my Lipo batteries here. You can mail lithium batteries, but they have to be installed in item. I might have to purchase a Ready-to-Fly kit of some kind to get the battery here, or ship it to a buddies house off post via UPS/Fedex. If any of you guys have experience shipping lithium batteries to APO/FPO AP/AE via USPS it'd be cool to hear how you did it.