Hello from the UK

CuppateaTim

Hello all,
I'm locked down, so I'm looking to start building planes for my grandsons.
As I can't be with them, I'm starting with a couple of EZ Gliders that they can fly on their own.
If I get good enough at scratch building, I'll add servos and a motor and we can fly together once the restrictions are lifted.
I'll let y'all know how I get on......
Good luck, stay safe.

CuppateaTim

welcome to the forums and the addiction....from liverpool uk ...where are you from !
Hi daxian, cheers mate !
I'm down on the borders near Monmouth. Not a million miles away

Fell on the FT videos by accident and enjoyed them so much, I had to have a go at building.
I got given a DX6i, so I bought a simulator to practice with....this has proved to be a massive hit with the grandsons who delight in crashing (sigh) Once they get skilled enough to stay in the air on the sim, we'll fly for real.
There's bound to be some disasters, so I'm spending this down time learning how to scratch build, so I can churn out airframes faster than they can wreck them. Fat chance...haha.
Hope you're well. Stay safe.

FDS

Elite member
Hi, plenty of UK folk on here.
Check out Nerdnic RC if you want a load of chuck glider designs that are easy to make and will teach you a lot about cutting out.

messyhead

I'm up in Scotland, outside Glasgow. I started building a Scout this week, but I needed to order some more poster board for making the templates.

CuppateaTim

I just received my pack of foamboard....... bloody A3 instead of the A1 I ordered !
Pffft....I guess I'll be making a lot of vertical stabs and tailplanes while I wait for the big stuff to arrive
#nowingsforme

The Fopster

Master member
I just received my pack of foamboard....... bloody A3 instead of the A1 I ordered !
Pffft....I guess I'll be making a lot of vertical stabs and tailplanes while I wait for the big stuff to arrive
#nowingsforme
If it helps you can join sheets together pretty easily to make bigger ones. Butt one tightly against another and run tape along the join, then lift them up and open the join using the tape like a hinge. Run a line of hot glue down the join then lay them down again on a nice flat surface, keeping them pressed tight together. Squeegee off the excess glue by running a scrap of foamboard or cardboard along the join, which will spread a thin layer of glue along the joint, strengthening it. I've never had a join like that fail...

CuppateaTim

Yeah, I had a crack at just that earlier. Works a treat !
Then had a stupid moment and didnt think where the join would end up on the wing.....
Stop laughing, ya gotta do it once. The second one will be perfect.

The Fopster

Master member
Yeah, I had a crack at just that earlier. Works a treat !
Then had a stupid moment and didnt think where the join would end up on the wing.....
Stop laughing, ya gotta do it once. The second one will be perfect.
It would probably still fly ok if you need to conserve the foamboard supplies! Good luck!