hello from Vancouver BC Canada - shopping for a transmitter

badSpartan

hello from Vancouver BC Canada.
i'm new to the forum, and also new to the RC world. i'm looking for advice on buying a transmitter/receiver/controller. i just built my Versacopter V2 and i was originally planning to buy the Graupner MZ-12 & GR-18 combo from FT, but it was out of stock at the time. now that it's been restocked, i'm hesitant to order it because the exchange rate from USD to CDN is absolutely ridiculous, costing me approximately $300 CDN. i can buy the Taranis X9D+ and FrSky X8R receiver and Naze32 Acro for roughly the same price here in Canada. as a noob, i like the simplicity of the all-in-one receiver/flight controller. my soldering skills aren't that great, and i'm concerned about soldering the Naze32. But i feel that the Taranis might be a better radio in the long run. i would appreciate any advice. thank you!

Attachments

• versacopter.jpg
    versacopter.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
The Taranis is great fun if you are technically inclined. I've had mine for a while now and am still learning new things. The Lua scripting language is far more powerful than I realized, for instance.

If you do go for a Taranis, considering using a D4R-II receiver in PPM mode. That will give you six channels in the naze32 without having to flash the receiver. A D4R-II is a tiny thing compared to the X8R. I just installed an X8R in a Might Mini Tiny Trainer.

I would buy from a local distributor that can take returns and avoid Banggood and the like. I have two X9D+. I could never get the first one to bind with anything. Now, all of a sudden, it appears to work. I use it when running simulators. I haven't taken it apart yet to see why it would not transmit before. Maybe a bad solder joint around the antenna? For those in the US, Alofthobbies sells at a great price. Flitetest's price is decent, too. Of course, those in Canada will want to use a Canadian supplier.

Mike

Jimmyp

I'm from Canada as well and the dollar is a killer. Add shipping and its insult added to injury. Ive been laying a bit low with my parts purchasing. Just reusing all the parts I can.
I don't have either of the radios you mentioned. I have the turnigy 9xr pro and a dsmx. Module. Low price and works well for me.